Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Aveley 1 (was it? I was in the loo) Canvey LOADS

Merv

6 - 1 has to be the most impressive Canvey scoreline for a long time. But truth is, it could have been 8 or 9 or even double figures. Nicky Rugg got to win the match ball with a terrific hat-trick, Fanibuyan got one and Aveley even gave us a free one. It doesn't get much better.

The referee had a relatively good game in that you didn't know he was there; except when he cocked up big time in refusing Canvey two most blatent penalties when the score was at 4 - 0 and then when it was 5 - 1. To be fair to the man, he did admit after the game that he had made a mistake on the first one but I didn't hear his comment about the second one.

This was a true team performance. Others may name a Man of the Match but to single out any particular player would be an injustice to the other 10 who played some very entertaining and, at times, exhibition football. From the first 10 minutes we just knew that this one was in the bag and Aveley did nothing to dissuade us of this opinion.

For most of the first 15 minutes it was one way traffic, then Aveley got a bit tighter in midfield and started to make a game of it, but once Canvey went two nil up they simply weren't at the races. We took the ball forward either through the middle or either of the two wings. It was only some sloppy finishing inside the 6yd box that kept the score down to single figures. There is still a lack of discipline once we get the goal in sight and it does, at times, become 'every man for himself'. I know the old days are gone, but had Lee Boylan been there ... (excuse me, I've started drooling).

Well done lads. An impressive display, a fabulous result and a wonderful day out*

Merv

*Well nearly. What a club Aveley is. Stella was £2.90 a pint. Having been fleeced in the bar it was then the turn of the turnstile man to rip me off. Entrance was £8.50 with a "free" programme. But I don't want a programme. Tough, it's still £8.50. Some of the lads took the argument a step further and they managed to get £2 back (but they were later barred from the clubhouse). £8.50 is a total disgrace for a ground that has no cover (apart from the main stand) and the toilet was a complete disgrace. I won't describe it in case any of you are eating while you read this. Enough to make any Canvey fan a life long convert to constipation.

Good stuff Merv. Can't believe the gateman trying to charge some of our under 16 lads, adult admission.

Yes. Enough is enough. The rip-off soured an otherwise good day. I thought clubs had to declare their admission prices at the start of the season, but apparantly can charge what they like, how can this be right. We got overcharged at Waltham Forest and I got charged £4 each for my kids at Northwood, when I checked their web-site accompanied children prices are £1

Right clubs like Aveley deserve what they get - NOTHING !

Next season if we are unfortunate enough to play them no-one pay to get in, just bring boxes with us or ladders are watch over the fences, that is what we must do to show these greedy rotters a show of strength. Up The Gulls !

Or watch the game from the bar.

Yep, Maidstone this Wednesday.

Originally Posted By: Merv

*Well nearly. What a club Aveley is. Stella was £2.90 a pint. Having been fleeced in the bar it was then the turn of the turnstile man to rip me off. Entrance was £8.50 with a "free" programme. But I don't want a programme. Tough, it's still £8.50. Some of the lads took the argument a step further and they managed to get £2 back (but they were later barred from the clubhouse). £8.50 is a total disgrace for a ground that has no cover (apart from the main stand) and the toilet was a complete disgrace. I won't describe it in case any of you are eating while you read this. Enough to make any Canvey fan a life long convert to constipation.

I was just about ready to place Aveley as the third worst ground I've ever been to when I walked into those toilets. Sod that, that was the worst ground I have ever seen. If Ilford's ground hasn't seen any love for the last twenty-five years, Aveley's must have gone without for a good fifty. And to charge £8.50 is an abomination. What an utter p*ss take.

Still, at least we slaughtered them. laugh

I can see how easy it would be to do that. One stand didn't even have a fence behind it. You could see the remains of it on the 'field' behind, where it had been left following vandalism, presumably.

Oh by the way, we managed to prove on Saturday that we can indeed play on crap pitches. We've got no excuse for playing badly on long grass now.