Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gulls 1-2 Bury Town

Matt H

A very, very frustrating performance in a game where we were punished for not taking our chances and failure to play basic football.

Dean Greygoose - Red card? Yes, Keith Welch did exactly the same thing on Match of the Day at Park Lane. However, Ricky Wiseman also did the same thing earlier this season against Waltham Forest I think and was only booked.

Dean Greygoose - Severely padded knee-cap, why did we not capitalise on this during the game, challenge him on corners, one-on-ones it would've buckled if the first half was anything to go by.

Ian Luck's one-on-one - WHY did he try and go around him? Surely with a 'Keeper that far off his line instinct would tell you to lob him, even if you miss!

Matt Reade, Centre Half? - With George Blewer on the bench, why did we have to move him out of position. Blewer, West, Crow and Bourne could've made up a back four. Where is Rob Lawrence, playing for the Reserves? Bryan Glover, where was he?

Today was three points thrown away because of our lack of basic football. Yes, a lot of our players are very good with the flicks and tricks with the ball at their feet, but what about a pass to feet, directing a header, or going for the second ball? I still see some players out there not giving 100%, Danny Curran was running on adrenaline towards the end of the game, others barely broke a sweat the second half.

Yes, injuries and other commitments have hit our squad, but surely there are other loan options available from Southend or Dagenham? The players have to know they're not guarenteed a starting position and Tuesday's line-up should reflect that with a good kick up the backside.

We should've had a point today. That was about all we were worth. We could've won with the chances we had, but you won't win anything if you can't find the back of the net.

The most disappointing thing about today's game was the attendance. It was poor. Unless I'm mistaken it was 100 down on last season's average.

Speaking of last season, I don't see where we've progressed or even if we have. We can be sensational, but we are still prone to stupid mistakes and lack of concentration. If we don't get our act together we aren't going to finish any higher than we did last season.

I've been doing a trawl around the internet regarding the rules when a goalkeeper handles outside of his area. It seems that if, by handling the ball, the keeper denies the attacker a goal scoring opportunity, the offence is punishable by a direct free-kick and a RED card. If the offence is innocent and a goal scoring opportunity is not denied, the referee should still award a direct free-kick but a yellow card is sufficient.

In today’s game the question is, ‘Was a goal scoring opportunity denied?’ Well, I was closer to the incident than the referee and the answer has to be yes. I wonder why the lino kept flagging and the ref eventually went over to consult? Perhaps, like me, the man with the flag saw an obvious goal scoring opportunity thwarted by Greygoose’s action.

In spite of the sending off incident I think we snatched defeat from the jaws of a win today. In terms of skill I thought we were always in front. What we did lack, however, was a true footballing brain on the pitch who could direct those skills and take the game to Bury. We had players all over the place who could literally dance with the ball, but were then uncertain about what to do with it. Oh for a ‘mid-field general’ who could direct the skilful youth that we seem to have in bucketfuls. Disappointing therefore that there seemed to be little guidance or advice coming from the touch-line.

I agree that the crowd was disappointing. At times we were playing some really good football and well worth the admission money. Seems to be a Canvey problem, the island isn’t interested in watching football unless it is on Match of the Day.

I agree with Merv. There is alot of people on Canvey who not only couldn't give a stuff about the football club but about the community in general.

They see it as a place to live so don't bother getting involved in anything in the community.

I suppose you can't make people come and watch us.

As for the game, didn't play that badly but basic mistakes cost us.

oh for a decent official in this league. Iknow we are way down in the football pyramid but does that give the powers at be the right to give us sub standared ref's and linesman.Iknow all the people will say we shouldn't have a pop at the officials but when they make schoolboy errors ( sorry to the schoolboys out there) they should be made accountable. I heard that the assessors were at todays match and they agreed with the ref's decision not to send "old goose" off , when it was a goal scoring chance punishable by a straight red card. Iknow that was not the only reason we lost ,we all have our opinions on this but it certainly didn't help. wih 10 men the game changes and those 4 or 5 good saves he made after the incident may not of happened.

Most of the schoolboy ref's who passed our course would have given the red card then!

From my point of view, I don't blame referee's for making mistake. People tell me that there was a clear handball in the box which he missed. At the end of the day, people make mistakes and he may just not have seen it.

However, when the referee gave the handball there was NO ALTERNATIVE but to send Greygoose off. The ref completely bottled the decision, and I have a massive problem with ref's who cannot stand up and apply the laws of the game.

Very disappointed not to get all three points.

Agree that the referee bottled sending off their keeper purely

because it was so early in the game.

And a very sparse attendance, what happened to all those that turned up in there droves a few years back,do they think the club has simply disappeared because we are not on telly or in the media much now ?

We need support now more than ever - Up The Gulls !

A very, very frustrating performance in a game where we were punished for not taking our chances and failure to play basic football.

Dean Greygoose - Red card? Yes, Keith Welch did exactly the same thing on Match of the Day at Park Lane. However, Ricky Wiseman also did the same thing earlier this season against Waltham Forest I think and was only booked.

Dean Greygoose - Severely padded knee-cap, why did we not capitalise on this during the game, challenge him on corners, one-on-ones it would've buckled if the first half was anything to go by.

Ian Luck's one-on-one - WHY did he try and go around him? Surely with a 'Keeper that far off his line instinct would tell you to lob him, even if you miss!

Matt Reade, Centre Half? - With George Blewer on the bench, why did we have to move him out of position. Blewer, West, Crow and Bourne could've made up a back four. Where is Rob Lawrence, playing for the Reserves? Bryan Glover, where was he?

Today was three points thrown away because of our lack of basic football. Yes, a lot of our players are very good with the flicks and tricks with the ball at their feet, but what about a pass to feet, directing a header, or going for the second ball? I still see some players out there not giving 100%, Danny Curran was running on adrenaline towards the end of the game, others barely broke a sweat the second half.

Yes, injuries and other commitments have hit our squad, but surely there are other loan options available from Southend or Dagenham? The players have to know they're not guarenteed a starting position and Tuesday's line-up should reflect that with a good kick up the backside.

Matt..

Matt Reade was playing as a holding midfield player in a 3-5-2 formation, so not really out of position.

Bryan Glover was recalled from his loan period by Weymouth as they had major injuries.

Just thought i would shed some light on your questions

I don`t think you can compare Wiseman`s booking for picking the ball up outside the box against Waltham Abbey with Greygoose making a double-handed save outside the box.

Another case of us not taking our chances up front and getting punished for it, i thought we were by far the better side but Bury Town took away the points which sadly is a familiar story in the last couple of seasons.

Quote......."Yes, injuries and other commitments have hit our squad, but surely there are other loan options available from Southend or Dagenham? The players have to know they're not guarenteed a starting position and Tuesday's line-up should reflect that with a good kick up the backside."

And Gary brittnell (love him to bits) named as a substitute..!!Why do we need expensive loan options??? Surely we have enough depth in the reserves to promote somebody to our first team bench.????...And if they (reseves)have injuries or people missing why are none of our U/18's being given a chance in the reserves..????

If we are down to the bare bones of the squad and these were the only players available you have to pick the team to match the players strengths. We are far too attack minded some times. Saturday we should have played 4-4-2 with Blewer and Bourne the Fullbacks, Fanibuyen could play the defensive midfield role with the rest as they lined up leaving Matty on the bench. Where was Ryan Edgar?

Loan players are an option but the problem is they still have to be paid.. The club still has to pay players that are injured and suspended so it going to be hard for the club to just bring in loans due to finances.. We are not a club that is rolling in money..!

If we had a better level reserve side then maybe players could move into the first team squad but i just personally don't think that could happen at the moment..

Just my thoughts..

I'm not sure if some of the reserves are up to first team standard just yet.

Certainly plenty of talent in the under 18 side.

I believe Mitchel Lowes is part if the 1st team squad but again from the reserve games i have seen he is not good enough to be a 1st team starter.

There is a fairly large gap between the Ryman North and the Essex Herts reserve league, in fairness the Essex and Herts league is no better then Sunday park footie..

Maybe we need to think about going into the Capital Reserve League? I think we would then attract a better level of player, although im sure there are probably additional costs involved.

Hopefully once all players are back from injury / holidays we will see our form improve.

Originally Posted By: ShedBoy
Matt Reade was playing as a holding midfield player in a 3-5-2 formation, so not really out of position.

Bryan Glover was recalled from his loan period by Weymouth as they had major injuries.

Just thought i would shed some light on your questions

Thanks for the info, didn't know Glover had been recalled.

As for Matt Reade, I think he's wasted in a holding role. He is far more effective holding the ball up, up front or just behind the front two.

Two factors of our game I think are key to our playing style at the moment are:

Our Midfielders are currently holding onto the ball for far too long. Ryan Edgar did it quite a bit last season and Clydie and Fanny are doing it quite a bit this season. It's what I mean by our players doing some great stuff with the ball at their feet but forgetting their basics.

I've also noticed that we've reverted back to the Conference days, when we've been trying to walk the ball into the goal. We miss Jay Curran here as he was always one for shooting on sight.

Looking forward to tomorrow night all the same!

Originally Posted By: ShedBoy
I believe Mitchel Lowes is part if the 1st team squad but again from the reserve games i have seen he is not good enough to be a 1st team starter.

There is a fairly large gap between the Ryman North and the Essex Herts reserve league, in fairness the Essex and Herts league is no better then Sunday park footie..

Maybe we need to think about going into the Capital Reserve League? I think we would then attract a better level of player, although im sure there are probably additional costs involved.

Hopefully once all players are back from injury / holidays we will see our form improve.

ShedBoy, i really do take that on a personal level, how can you compare the Essex Herts League to park football, are you off your head?

You may see some poor games, but i have played quite a few ressie games earlier on in my career and found it a great help in my development, the capital league is full of youth players, whereas the Essex Herts you are bound to come up against many experienced players, often playing at better grounds and against better players than the first team!! i know of many occasions of playing against a full first team in the Essex and Herts.

I think your dismissal of it will offend quite a few players on here.

I agree there are some park standard players in there, but the majority of clubs ressie sides are promising youngster combined with out of favour/fitness 1st team players, pushing for a recall.

i dearly hope you have played football at some decent level to be able to pass comment on this......

I will agree that Canveys ressie side this year are not the best 1 to come off the island in recent years, but in fairness to them they are a young side, i think it would stand Ian Lowes well to bring in some players who have some experience of 1st team footie at least at ESL Level, who have been around the game a bit to bring these guys on, 18 year olds cant learn from playing alongside 18 year olds!!!

Look at your ressie side from 3 years ago, talented players assembled from various sources, with the odd older player thrown in on occasion to get them going, most of the players having been with a pro club at some time earlier in their career, or having played some 1st team football already, ther is no reason why you can't return to that, use the Ressies @ Heybridge/ Leyton as an example, and dont start on money, thats no excuse, i dont know of mnay res players, even at Ryman Prem level who get paid!!