Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gulls 1-2 Bury Town

Matt H

Good reply Golden Boots and some of your points make sense..

Saying that in my peronal view the Essex and Herts League is no stronger then say the Sceptre / Southend Sunday league Prem and 1st Division.

I have experience playing in the Essex & Herts League with Canvey between 1996 - 2001 and i now still play Sunday football in the Southend Sunday league, so i feel i have a pretty good idea of the playing Standard.

Without doubt the Essex & Herts League is not as strong as it was, teams like Grays, Thurrock, Braintree & Chelmsford no longer take part in the league..

From the 3 - 4 reserve games i have seen this season i have found it difficult to see a difference in Standard between the Top 2 Sunday divisions and the Essex and Herts League.

Just my view

there are players still playing sunday football aswell as ryman league last season my sunday side beat trinity 6-0 and they had a great wakering player playing for them

Shedboy, fair does, u did hit a sore point though as there are so many people out there who have such a low opinion of ressie football, and it annoys the sh1te out of me.... i think the standard has slipped, but if you look at teams in the capital league, they are effectively u'19 sides, and you cant prepare for 1st team action playing aainst toddlers!!

It think you will find at all levels of football there are players who can step up, in my opinion i know 7 or 8 players at conf/ryman level who i think could easly cut it in the championship, 1 who already has with ease, and one more who should soon be leaving a ryman side for league 2. there are plenty of players in bor comb sides that could play Essex Herts, would it not be worth Ians while to go looking for these guys?

but i do think if you watch ressie games like heybridge-leyton, GWR-Barking, you will see some great football, reminescent of the days when you played, before my time though i must add lol.

Richard sparkes, i know there are loads of players in the ryman playing sunday football, if i was'nt managing a youth side this year i still would be, as i was last year. and 1 player in a team does not make a difference, so i fail to see ur point about the GWR player.......

one point that has been raised in many a dressing room and bar this year is how many of Canvey's ressie side are from Canvey/Benfleet/Bas etc, the side of 3 years ago were mostly local(ish) lads who were proud to play for a club such as Canvey, even at ressie level, admittedly at Conf level, but i'm sure there is plenty of talent around who would jump at the chance to push for a place, at a club who to be fair are still a 'big' club.

Why not use a few ressie games to trial some new talent... nothing to lose?

Originally Posted By: Golden Boots

Richard sparkes, i know there are loads of players in the ryman playing sunday football, if i was'nt managing a youth side this year i still would be, as i was last year.

Sorry when were you a Ryman player GB ????!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

this in my view is not the case.. the e&h league is not as strong as it used to be..but.. it is a far better league than any of these southend leagues you have mentioned..as for the capital league.. pos a slightly higher standard... but..and its a big but.. you play only a small amount of games per season... lets face it , the reserve team is there for a club to use.. to 1. produce players for the future , 2. give a game to a 1st team player returning from injury / keep match fit if he is unable to brake into the 1st team squad atthat moment. result pos dont matter , aslong as it is serving a purpose..which is to aid the clubs 1st team

essex & herts is a mile better than the Borough combination. The boro comb is full of nobodys who THINK they are good but in reality are absolute toilet

MH - or should i say Goldenboots himself is absolute Kwango ! I love hearing from boro comb players who claim that " i could play for canvey, concord , wakering etc " . Ive watched a few essex & herts games and the standard ( of the top sides especially) is very good and there are a lot of good youngsters out there. Boro comb is and always will be a park league played by park players.

Agree with that.

The main difference between players stepping up from Mid Essex / Boro Comp to Essex Herts is the dedication, and most of them aren't fit enough to play.

I have loads of mates who tell me they are good enough to play Essex and Herts or even ESL.

Load of sh*t. I have asked them to prove it, and not one of them has proved me right. So who is the mug? tongue

Essex & Herts has some great young players playing in that league. Concord are developing a great youth side, and we (Burnham) have some great lads too, as do Heybridge.

Mid Essex = Southend Boro Comp = Two Bob.

no dis respect to these leagues is intended.. but i think as you have just said.. the boys playing in the essex&herts will be of a more professional attitude to there borough comb counterparts.. i would pos say that most of the borough comb players r down tots on a friday / saturday night.. and play half cut on a saturday/ sunday

Guest MOB Snr

I am with shedboy, I have at different time watched most teams in most leagues and a donkey league would be a fair description.

Give me southend sunday league anytime!

Another comment on the strengths of the reserve leagues on the Maldon Town website

The Reserves under the management of Lee Hill haven’t had the best starts of the season but apart from one game when they lost heavily to Enfield Town, Lee believes that moving over to the Capital League from the Essex and Herts. League was the right action to take to give his players a better chance to play at a higher level and narrow the gap between 1st and 2nd teams so that the youngsters get a better chance to break into first team football.