Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Fa Trophy betting

Thought we were well worth our win today although, apart from their physical tactics, Brentwood had very little to offer their handful of fans. Did Ricky make a save? Thought it was funny how, in the first 15 minutes Brentwood were prepared to slow the pace down and every time the ball disappeared onto the A12 (bit dangerous, I thought) they were rather slow to get things re-started. Once they were behind, however, I noticed a certain urgency creep into their game and the dugout provided replacement balls at a cracking rate of knots.

I did find our lack of width a bit worrying; we could either play through the centre and the left flank, or the centre and the right flank, but we couldn’t use the full width of the pitch. It’s still a young and relatively inexperienced team and so it is surprising that more tactics aren’t called from the dugout, imo.

Other surprise of the day was around the facilities at Brentwood. How on earth did they get a grading on the basis of what we saw today. Not only was beer allowed out of the clubhouse (4 pints carried around the ground on a tray by one home fan) but it was allowed out in cans! Having opposing fans with alcohol in their hands under the same shelter might have been a source of problems – lucky the Yellow Army are noisy but not troublesome. Can you imagine some of the sets of fans we’ve met over the years in similar circumstances (Wealdstone and Romford spring to mind).

Added to this, there were no ball-boys, let alone stewards and I thought it was a requirement to have solid (or at least wired) panels below the boundary rails. No draught beer behind the bar, only a barmaid who might have been attractive but simply couldn’t keep up with customer demand.

Ah well, you can’t have everything so I’ll settle for the FA cheque for reaching the next round.

Yes it was certainly very basic at Brentwood, poorest facilities for a long time, but just glad we came away with a well-earned win.

It was one our best performances for a long-time as we well beat a team unbeaten in the league.

Lots of our players really showed commitments today and should be proud of an excellent showing.

Up The Gulls !

What a day! A brilliant performance from the lads, a job well done. Before the match I said that if we were gonna beat Brentwood we would need every player on form. This was definately the case, everyone was fantastic. For me Clydie Roberts was different class in the middle, but you could have picked any of the team for special praise.

As for the atmosphere - now that's the Yellow Army we know & love!!! Fair play to the Brentwood lads for getting behind their team, but once the YA started there was no stopping us!

Our first decent cup run in a good few seasons, let's hope we can make it last a bit longer!!

What a pleasure it was to once again be involved with Canvey Island Football Club this afternon.

From the moment i arrived at the ground and met all the old faces that i had not seen for 12 months plus, it was like i had never been away.

The same old faces from years gone by, the same people that i had seen travel miles around Conference grounds over two seasons were still cheering and supporting a bunch of young lads that the majority of supporters would never have known if the club were still rightly in the Conference.

You should be proud of them all as i witnessed a performance of sheer passion and enthusiasm which CIFC supporters deserve, the goal celebrations for the second goal made me proud to have played a part in the clubs recent history.

I had the pleasure of sharing Dennis, Gary and Johns company in the boardroom this afternoon as the clubs (uninvited) guest and i have to say what a pleasure it was again. From what i hear the club is in very good hands and you all play a big part in this success.

As for the support, the noise today is as good as any that i can remember from you in the past few seasons. It was certainly better than a lot of clubs have mustered at the Abbey Stadium this year so far!!

I hope you get a great draw in the next round, to beat AFC Wimbledon would be great and then to draw Cambridge Utd in the next would be perfect.

I would draw the line at you beating us though!!

With both our win at Torquay today (Boylan scoring again) and the victory at Brentwood, i am a very happy man tonight. Pottsy sends his regards also.

Good luck and all the best.

Wayno.

Was good to see you today, Wayno.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Good of you to take the time to come and watch Wayno but now you have to attend our next Trophy game, you`re our lucky mascot although luck had no bearing on beating Brentwood.

I`m not sure what was said to the players before the game but they seemed to have belief that has been missing for a few games this season, let`s hope we can keep that going and really push our season on.

Hard to pick out individual players but West,Fanibuyan,Bourne,Francis and Stuart all had strong games, and the game may have taken a different course if Wiseman had not made agood save with his feet from Brentwoods early counter-attack.

Looking forward to the draw with hopefully a home draw against one of the bigger clubs.

Got to defend Brentwoods ground a bit, yes it`s basic but it was tidy which is more than can be said for some of the more established Ryman clubs, let`s not forget Brentwood came up from the Essex Senior League this season. One thing that does let them down is their floodlights, plenty of them but they don`t seem to do a lot.

Thought the team really turned it around after last Saturday and Tuesday nights poor results.

Brentwood's lack of ball-boys really cost them yesterday, no-one was gonna run round the back of the ground for them in the second half to retrieve anything. Good to see the YA didn't have any urgency to get the game moving either, (nice one Chittock!) laugh

How noticable was it yesterday that a simple change in formation could make all the difference. A solid back four withstood 99% of the things thrown at them and even if something did get through Ricky was well confident in sweeping it up. My only concern in the defensive department was we didn't have a defender on the bench should something have happened and switching people about could've unbalanced us.

Another real positive for me was seeing Fanibuyan do was he does best and run at people, his goal was an absolute peach and we shouldn't have to see him in the holding role, where I think he's wasted. Pushing through behind the front two is where he has to be. Agree with Glen about Clydie, he performed so well and played with so much fluidity that I forgot he was even playing. Thought both Leon and Francis were outstanding on the wings, and although I understand we were protecting our lead, I think we could've at least doubled our efforts on goal if whilst attacking they did push out wide and drag our their defenders.

Our Strikers ran their hearts out too and we actually challenged the 'Keeper more today, which caused him to fumble under pressure. Again, only concern was our lack of shooting first time, think we could've easily scored 5 had they hit it first time or at least given the 'Keeper or woodwork a serious headache.

YA were on fine form, and you could tell the players enjoyed it with Fanny's goal and the whole team coming over to the fans, even Ricky ran the length of the pitch to get in on it. Really can't single anyone out for a MotM award too many to chose from: Stuart, Westy, Leon, Ruggy, Curran, Fanny, etc...

Now if my sums are correct we've won more of less enough prize money to pay the wagebill for the rest of the season. So while our key players are still nursing injuries, how about adding a real solid, tackling, experienced, holding midfielder to the ranks?

Originally Posted By: Matt CIFC

Now if my sums are correct we've won more of less enough prize money to pay the wagebill for the rest of the season. So while our key players are still nursing injuries, how about adding a real solid, tackling, experienced, holding midfielder to the ranks?

I think you need a new calculator.

Originally Posted By: thomarocky
Yes it was certainly very basic at Brentwood, poorest facilities for a long time...

I didn't go in the bar so I can't comment on that, but I didn't think Brentwood's ground was bad at all. Certainly of the grounds I've been to recently it would probably come out on top.

As for the performance, I really wasn't expecting that after our drubbing from Heybridge. Can't wait for the draw now.

In fairness to Brentwood their ground is alot better than when I went there last season for our Essex Senior Cup game.

Have done a good job of the terracing behind the goal.

Great day for Canvey F.C. yesterday everybody played well, there seemed to be some passion out there which has been missing in recent games. Yellow Army were back on song and the win bonus will be greatly received, lets hope for a home draw in the next round, maybe Wimbledon, we could have up to 2000 at that game. The revenue would be handy(plus of coarse the win bonus again). Just a little critisism of Brentwood, no draught bitter, no ballboys, perimeter fence should be filled in (i thought this was a requirement of the Ryman grading) even more so because they have just been promoted, some clubs seem to get away with it and others dont. Other than this its not a bad ground.