Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

the supermarkets plastic bag scam

now as much as I feel that new labour are to blame for everything (and rightly so)...this noo big supermarket scam is a scream...feeding orf the back of noo labours eco bollox...we will all shortly have to take shoping bags with us into the supermarkets......

well I have decided on a course of action and if everyone does the same the voice of the people will speak louder than sainsburys profits.....

get yur trolly VERY full.....go through the check out and then leave it all there if they don't supply free plastic bags....

I can't wait to try it out at the local somerfields... devil

Why not just bring back some of the plastic bags you used last time...?

It isnt much to ask,....

The reason ?

Landfills are getting fuller and fuller....eventually this will cause problems.

The first plastic bag is still bio-degrading...our dependance on plastics must be reduced....in line with europeans, in order to give us more space and options for waste....

this isnt airy fairy science, or doom mongering eco nonsense...it's a sensible request

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
get yur trolly VERY full.....go through the check out and then leave it all there if they don't supply free plastic bags....

Wouldn't they be quite happy with that then? As long as you've paid, they could just put all the stuff back on the shelves!

I have to say I was a bit sceptical when Sainsbury's had a couple of days giving their reusable bags out free, but I take them along when I remember. Much better than the crappy free ones that you can never open....

Originally Posted By: TRS

Wouldn't they be quite happy with that then? As long as you've paid, they could just put all the stuff back on the shelves!

I have to say I was a bit sceptical when Sainsbury's had a couple of days giving their reusable bags out free, but I take them along when I remember. Much better than the crappy free ones that you can never open....

I think that's Unc's point. Let 'em scan all the bar-codes, then when they don't pack it for you, say you won't pay for it all unless they pack into bags !

The landfill thing is a bit of a red herring, apparently. I was reading about this the other day. I've forgotten the exact figure but the proportion of plastic bags in them is something like 0.1% or thereabouts, i.e. negligible. Plus of course in actual fact a large number of bags are "recycled" - more accurately, re-used - for everything from bin liners and doggy pooh receptacles to, well, bags.

The manufacture of the bags is another matter, as is the transport of them from China. But the majority of the goods available in the same supermarkets has been flown or shipped in from all over the world - the usual lack of joined-up thinking on so-called "green" issues that is the big give-away that they are used as a tax and/or price hike scam.

Originally Posted By: Big J R
Originally Posted By: TRS

I think that's Unc's point. Let 'em scan all the bar-codes, then when they don't pack it for you, say you won't pay for it all unless they pack into bags !

well spotted BJR...have a word will you please with TRS... grin

Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
so we should try and cut down on all plastic products, packaging and bags....

yay

don't be fckn naive dykie...if we are gonna do that then the supermarkets have to go back to unpacked fresh food on the shelves and they won't do that will they....

fresh food unpacked and I will bring my shopping baqs.....

shape up.... grin

I do take my own bags with me and to get them to understand you don't want the plazzie bags is an uphill struggle.

"I have my own bags and I'll pack them as soon as I have emptied the trolley"

" I said, I have my own bags......"

"Well I have packed them (plastic) now"

"I told you - I had my own bags and I said I would pack them......etc etc!

I reckon most people will end up paying for them as they won't be given a chance to do anything else....... (Unless you are Unc, of course!!)

Doh!

Originally Posted By: Andrew S
I do take my own bags with me and to get them to understand you don't want the plazzie bags is an uphill struggle.

"I have my own bags and I'll pack them as soon as I have emptied the trolley"

" I said, I have my own bags......"

"Well I have packed them (plastic) now"

"I told you - I had my own bags and I said I would pack them......etc etc!

I reckon most people will end up paying for them as they won't be given a chance to do anything else....... (Unless you are Unc, of course!!)

Doh!

of course... grin

difference is I have sussed it all out whilst the big 3 continue to rip you numpties off and pull at your eco heartstrings.....

where is the largest mass of plastic in the supermarkets...on the shelves or by the tills....?

on the shelves of course.... all conveniently plastic wrapped to keep stale food longer.....lets get rid of ALL plastic and I'll play ball.....until then they can fck off and I'll use illegal farmyard shebines for my freshly culled foods... elephant

Here you have 'baggers' to pack your groceries for you, and the first thing they ask is........."Paper or plastic?" About time you had the same choice.

You get the 'Treehuggers'(as the greens are called here), tell you how many trees are sacrificed for the bags.............But most of the shops that I know usebags made from recycled paper!

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1
Here you have 'baggers' to pack your groceries for you, and the first thing they ask is........."Paper or plastic?"

Both of those words have two syllables, though, and some of the staff and quite a few members of the public would struggle with that.

Originally Posted By: Stu M
Here you have 'baggers' to pack your groceries for you, and the first thing they ask is........."Paper or plastic?"

Both of those words have two syllables, though, and some of the staff and quite a few members of the public would struggle with that.

Believe me.....................So do some Americans! laugh

Originally Posted By: The Invisible Man
Your bags don't even have handles.

Our plastic bags must therefore be more greenie/eco, as there are two holes forming the handles and thus less plastic/paper used.

I don't know where you get your info from, but our plastic bags do indeed have handles! The paper is recycled then far more eco friendly! smile

Yep, the plastic bags do have handles here. Most places here are also going to paper bags with handles. I recycle my plastic bags as bin bags for the computer bins. They are the right size and I never have to buy bags for them. So, in a way I figure since I could buy bin bags or use the others, I am saving in a way.

Here you have 'baggers' to pack your groceries for you, and the first thing they ask is........."Paper or plastic?" About time you had the same choice.
You get the 'Treehuggers'(as the greens are called here), tell you how many trees are sacrificed for the bags.............But most of the shops that I know usebags made from recycled paper!

There's always one of these !

shoppinglaundrycart.jpg

I understand the Yanks have a funny slang term for 'em as well !

I got asked that and replied 'oh credit card' grin

I assumed they were asking how I was paying LOL