Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Edwards Signs For The Gulls!

ShedBoy

Looks like he has gone back to Braintree. Shame to see him go. Quality player.

As soon as i saw this thread at the top of the page i feared the worst, no doubt we are searching for a replacement but it will be hard to replace a player of his quality.

RUSS BACK

Be the first reader to comment on this story

EXCLUSIVE BY DAVID WARD

SPORT@ESSEXCHRONICLE.CO.UK

08:00 - 29 November 2007

Braintree Town have re-signed popular former captain Russ Edwards and the central defender is expected to go straight into the side for their tough Blue Square South League match at Eastleigh on Saturday.The signing is a big coup for manager Lee Patterson who has also revealed he expects to sign another experienced defender next week.

Patterson said: "I have been tracking Russ for some time and even tried to sign him earlier on this season at my previous club, East Thurrock United.

"I said I intended to strengthen the back line and having Russ back at the club is a real bonus.

"He knows the club, the players and the way I want to play and I believe he will again be a big asset to us particularly as he is a commander at the back," he added.

"He's had a couple of recent games at Canvey Island but had not played this season at all for various reasons but he's what I want in the side although I appreciate it will take him a week or two to become fully match fit again."

So much for him saying he didn't want all the travelling that comes with the Conf South..?!

From what i understand he has been offered silly money to go back to Braintree. Money talks i suppose..

My view is we need to sign another experienced centre half asap if we have the budget, especially with Colin Wall being suspended for up to 4 games on the bounce.

It is a shame to lose these quality players, but a Shed Boy says, money talks. It's not like these guys were being given £50 or so more elsewhere, we're talking serious pay increases. I suppose all the years we spent doing this when we were in the Ryman Prem have come back to haunt us!

Dobbo & Kreyling are likely to be back in about a month's time or just before.

We have have some big games over the next 4 weeks so i believe we should look for a short term loan to give us cover..

To be fair it will take Dobbo and DK 2 or 3 weeks to get fit after they return from injury.

As you say Great Eckscape we are not just talking a £50 rise we are talking big bucks.

Spoke to Dave Kreyling the other night. Reckons a possible return around Xmas time but obviously he will need a few reserve games to get match fit again.

This is a real shame to hear but like has been said before, money does talk no matter what league you're in. It's happened to us in the past and will probably happen again on a couple of occasions with our current situation.

Perhaps we can do a loan deal with someone like Southend, Colchester or even Dagenham or Grays for someone for a month. Or failing that, bringing in George Blewer and putting Westy at centre half if we need to work within our means.

I`m not sure embarrassing is the right way to put it, more like disappointing.

The club can`t afford to put people on big contracts so we have to accept that players may move if a better offer comes in. At least the players who have left us (Halle & Edwards) have gone to play in higher divisions.