Very very frustrating afternoon .. and in the space of 7 days we have lost our only chance of a trophy on Tuesday, and given ourselves a mountain to climb in terms of getting to Top 5.
Ryan Blackman - the challenge was unnecessary, we had plenty back .. but that is the player he is. He plays with absolute commitment and is so passionate for us, so I cant criticise him. Ryan is the player who turned down Conference South teams back in 2017 to stay with us, he's the player who comes over to the fans after all games, and I bumped into him in the carpark at Kingstonian - despite being suspended he had driven 3 hours to watch the team play! How many others do that? Personally he is a Towner through and through
The interview with Andy post match says that Ryan had been warned a couple of times - so to me the management at 2-1 should have taken him off as a precaution at that point.
Didn't get the substitutions - Della Verde was playing v well, and then taking Ken then Billy off so we had no outlet up front was crazy - yes Billy looked tired having put in a great shift up front, so why not replace with youngster Esan to chase balls or experiecned Ibe to hold it up?
Goals we conceded were very poor - the long ball over the top was a misjudge by Wethers - and Nathan was stranded - Uruquart was back so Nathan didn't need to be so far out.
Throwing on extra defenders but without a plan meant we were just sitting back letting them come on to us - so it felt inevitable. Free header from a corner (Wethers again) - but no one on the post to have cleared it?
Ironically I don't look at any of our defenders and think they are not good enough, but collectively they are not working together. Do we need a defensive coach to work on this side of the game?
I don't subscribe to the manager out position at this stage of the season ..
- we can still make the play offs, though need an almighty run like 2016. This time next week I hope this is still the case.
- Andy has been making good signings in Uruqhart & Delle Verde - and I do believe the management team are committed and doing their best for us.
- I believe the squad is strong on paper - especially with Hockney, Taffe and Higgs to come in - there are not 3 or 4 players that I don't want at the club. Issue is depth - we don't seem to have faith in our bench to make earlier changes
- we must bring someone in to sort our defensive organisation - as its not working
- we must use subs better - Nathan Livings on the bench would have been a perfect replacement for Ryan after his first warning from the ref
- have we invested too much of the wage bill in the starting 11 .. so less competition for places?
- we aren't great to watch at present
I am still "glass half full" but do understand and appreciate the more negative views - haven't been to as many games this season!
Up the town