Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A "BIG" plea for extra support tonight !!

Cookie

Seems to me the Thanet public are pretty apathetic to both Margate and Ramsgate at the moment 279 in midweek for a club some might say are in decline isnt good, but please look at Ramsgate their attendance on Saturday for a team in good form pushing for promotion was pathetic so no lessons will be learnt for those Ramsgate snipers on this forum !!

Originally Posted By: Ian_Sanderson
,and PS dont bite the line so hard next time.

Since when does A MERE reply constitute a "bite".
As for pleading from everywhere to everywhere for people to turn up. It wouldn't hurt others from trying the same.A better Tuesday night crowd than a Saturday crowd across the island as Tom rightly points out.
Alas in our case it seems to have fallen on deaf ears last night though to be fair 279 on a Tuesday night can't be sniffed at. But it COULD be better of course it could.
However the teams performance,once again in front of their home crowd,whatever that crowd might be,whatever the line up might be, does nothing to encourage others to return next time.This happens all too often & its so frustrating. No doubt we shall lose a few from last night now as well.Seems I am fighting a lost cause everytime.Why I bother god only knows! But continue to bother I will! If we,yes we,not just I, because others do so in other ways too,don't continue to try & tempt people along we could end up with below 200 on a Saturday & we daren't see that happen here. Now that really would be embarassing.

Originally Posted By: Guernsey Tom
Seems to me the Thanet public are pretty apathetic to both Margate and Ramsgate at the moment 279 in midweek for a club some might say are in decline isnt good, but please look at Ramsgate their attendance on Saturday for a team in good form pushing for promotion was pathetic so no lessons will be learnt for those Ramsgate snipers on this forum !!

No suprise though is it.
Ramsgates fan base has probably more than doubled in the last 4 or 5 years. But they started from a very low base. Margate's crowds are returning to pre Chris Kinnear days.
People in Thanet are not going to be flocking in their thousands to Southwood..LOL
Or Hartsdown, when the team is playing teams they have never heard of, and keep losing to them.
I can't see Trott lasting much longer. But do the club have the money or the vision to bring in an experienced manager and at least half a dozen new players to bring the fans back?

Making the facilities for supporters a bit more comfortable might be a better thing to do. The view is poor anywhere except the clubhouse end, there is no shelter, and in winter it is bleak. You are not going to attract the casual fan and keep him/her when you are mostly freezing cold and exposed. Hopefully we can rebuild the crowds along with the stadium.

I do not think for the moment that we have the budget for big name anyone, and it don't take much vision to understand that. Plus it is my opinion that, given the resources at his disposal this season have been reduced, Trotty is doing the best he can, and I doubt anyone else could do more. We are in the upper reaches of the table, with 5 or so of our senior players absent. That in my opinion aint a bad place to be. We are terrible at tempering our expectations when confronted with reality, and have been for a long while.

Football fans on the whole are pretty fickle, they only flood through the turnstiles on the crest of a winning streak. Otherwise it is only the core committed fan that attends games. We have more of them than most other teams in this league, thank goodness, and most of us still turn up come what may.

Margate had big crowds back in the 50s 60s and early 70s when we were a decent town with life in it.Plus there was less to do on the leisure front

Since the mid 70s the town has been dying along with the support for the team. People would rather sit at home and vegetate rather than venture out be it Tuesday night or Saturday afternoon.

Locals only got their [****!!****] into gear to watch the club when Fulham played us in the cup in 1997 when they thought they would be seen on Sky TV

Gates only improved in 2001 (the last 3 games) when 500+ decided to jump onto the bandwagon when the club won promotion to the Conference.

The complete farce over the ground redevelopment and the lies that were thrown around by several people (several elected by the local population) did us no favours

Fair weather supporters are all well and good to put money into the kitty but how do we keep them and should real fans who turn up when it is pissing down with rain when playing the bottom of the league really try and keep these bandwagon jumpers.

Real fans will be there whatever.

I heard two people in the stand on Tuesday say that they wouldn't come again due to having to pay £2.00 extra to use the only available seating. I also begrudge having to pay the extra, we're practically the only club that charges an additional fee to sit in the stand. Think AFC Wimbledon are the only others from memory.

I agree.My dad HAS to sit down because of his knees. Apart from sitting on a terrace in the windy conditions he has no choice but to pay for the pleasure.He dosen't moan about it & he happily pays but is it right that he & people like him,Big Ron for instance,have no other option but to pay this amount to get relief from the elements.Lets remember they are only on pensions too.

Lord knows how much of an effort it takes for people like these to even GET to the game in the first place..Maybe a drop of a £1 would be a fair compromise.Not just for O.A.Ps but for everyone.

Many a time I've overheard away supporters who wanted to go in there until they saw the price. They declined after seeing the cost,purely through principle in most cases.

It would of course entice others to want to share the comforts too thereby contributing more than was before at £2.Not to mention a full stand looking good to the players.

I don't think this is an awful lot to ask of the club.

It used to be 50p in the old stand. Although sitting on bird mess came with it. I think a model and upcoming club at the mo is, dare I say it Dover. A good manager, there supporters enjoying the football, a nice comfortable ground. They are attracting big gates 800+ and thats because they have clearly got it right this season. Untill our new ground is built or the existing facilities are upgraded I can't see people wanting to fork out £9 to come and watch us.