Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

When the referee simply isn't good enough

Merv

I've just sent this complaint to the BBC, via their website. Will let you know if I get any response.

BBC Look East Early Evening News

Monday 3rd December 2007

Trouble at Witham Town FC

Why on earth did you bother to report this incident when you had so little factual information about it. Your reporter stated that the '...police herded supporters of the visiting team, Canvey Island, onto coaches and kept Witham fans in the ground until they had gone.'

The police did not 'herd' Canvey fans at any time. Supporters' Club chairman Chris Gardner quietly asked fans to get onto the coach (singular) as he had heard the police were on their way and he didn't want there to be any trouble. This the fans did, quite calmly and peacefully. When the police arrived almost all the Canvey fans were on the coach, waiting to leave. As for the Witham fans being kept in the ground, there were only a dozen of them and the couple of young lads I spoke to were as bemused as we were about what the fuss was all about.

Your news team obviously made no effort to find out what the truth was behind this story and relied on good old fashioned sensationalism to put a bit of punch into a 30 second news 'story' that wasn’t.

As it stands the viewer is left with the image of angry Canvey fans needing to be restrained and separated from the home fans. What rot. And what a shame the BBC didn't bother to make any attempt at researching or verifying this item.

Interesting reading guys all this. I just watched that clip, do you know what the press are unreal. From my point of view at first watching, it appeared that Witham fans were cause, as they "were held back" that can be intrepreted as held back from attacking visitors. Does the value of "spin" hold any credence at the FA? Who knows. It's only my opinion but usually people who are quick to spout off usually have something to hide, I think someone mentioned about deflecting the truth earlier.

Believe half what you see and nothing what you hear is usually good stead.........

It's a shame that only the black spots are seen on a big clean sheet.

Originally Posted By: MOB Snr
They are moved under Witham!

I dont think anyone in Witham were moved!!!!

Guest MOB Snr
Originally Posted By: The Gaffer from the Rock

This is a seious thread we do not need dipsticks coming on here winding people up, especially people who have only just appeared after the incident, why dont you F^ck Off where you came from and wind your fellow fairweather supporters up!

Our clubs reputation is at stake here!!!

Originally Posted By: The Gaffer from the Rock

This is a seious thread we do not need dipsticks coming on here winding people up, especially people who have only just appeared after the incident, why dont you F^ck Off where you came from and wind your fellow fairweather supporters up!

Our clubs reputation is at stake here!!!

Who are you telling to f^ck off you m1nge, havent you got a sense of humour!!

Guest MOB Snr

I have a sense of humour, but when muppets come on here with no other reason but to cause problems I do not find it funny.

Now listen LEO F6ck off back to Havering where you belong!

I have a sense of humour, but when muppets come on here with no other reason but to cause problems I do not find it funny.

Now listen LEO F6ck off back to Havering where you belong!

Fisrtly, who are you calling Leo, you basildon billy no mates tw6t. Secondly, what gives you the impression I come from Havering?

Guest MOB Snr

We have ways and I recognise the style. So do us all a favour and jog off! We have manged to avoid getting your sort on here for a while now, pop back over to your own forum and wind them up!

I know maybe you could start your own supporters trust after being a supporter for a week, or maybe you want to ground share with Byron Red Stars!!

Blimey your fighting amongst yourselves now...what ever next!

Serious note when we came to Canvey earlier in the season I stood behind the goal and had a real good chat with one of your lads and we both shouted for our teams at the same time. When we left everyone said ta ta see you soon, it was great, how it should be.

We have ways and I recognise the style. So do us all a favour and jog off! We have manged to avoid getting your sort on here for a while now, pop back over to your own forum and wind them up!

I know maybe you could start your own supporters trust after being a supporter for a week, or maybe you want to ground share with Byron Red Stars!!

Mob i think you have got this one totally wrong.

Originally Posted By: abbeynut
Blimey your fighting amongst yourselves now...what ever next!

Serious note when we came to Canvey earlier in the season I stood behind the goal and had a real good chat with one of your lads and we both shouted for our teams at the same time. When we left everyone said ta ta see you soon, it was great, how it should be.

Indeed it should Abbeynut