Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cranham Marsh

Essex wildlife trust.

27/2/2008

After a very basic morning over Rainham Marsh this morning where i had just a few decent birds,namely kestrels,water pipit and golden plovers(no other waders about apart from lapwing!)

I turned my attention to the Essex Wildlife Trust site Cranham Marsh in Upminster and am happy i did

2-5.30pm Sunny 11C and felt like spring!

2 kestrel,1 sparrowhawk,1 Heron,24 Ring Necked Parakeets

2 Coal Tit,14 Long tailed tit,1 Bullfinch,pair of pochards flying over,8 mistle thrush,1 song thrush,60c redwing,38 fieldfare

2 Phaeasant,18 Stock dove,4 green woodpecker,4 great spot w/pecker,

goldcrest,jay,jackdaw(40+),1 reed bunting,17 chaffinch,4 greenfinch

I waited till sunset and a bit after as i have heard reports that Barn owl frequent the western side of the marsh but to no avail,but will keep an eye out as i was told last year a barn owl was frequent in april/may last year!

Hi dagger,it is sedge fen

although there are areas of woodland,not very big but well worth a visit.

I spent many spring and summer evenings over there last year and found the site to be good for reed & sedge warblers,cuckoos,little owl plus a few other raptors

Also the odd nightingale singing.

The best place to park i find is either in all saints church car park(off st marys lane,near railway bridge near coopers school) or where i park at the top of park drive,walk through the style,turn right and after about 200 yards there is a style with a sign saying Nature reserve.

There are plenty of footpaths over there and you can access it from thames chase centre in pike lane via a footpath and a mile or so walk.

It is a good little site.

If you are going over there let me know and i will meet you there if i am about.

If i am just going to the reserve i prefer the evenings as alot seems to happen just before dusk,but if i am going for a stroll i can be stuck over there all day.

Although it is called a marsh and has some reedbeds it is more grassland with a few ditches and small amounts of reeds although enough to attract birds.They do have some nice wildflower in the summer months and voles are there which is why i think barn owl frequent the place although i have not seen them there,they have been reported

• 2 months later...

My first visit to cranham marsh for over a month and the place is alive with wildflower,insects and the sounds of woodland and reedbed birds,although th latter is still minimal.

Birds reported as follows

Hobby,pied wagtail,mallards,kestrel,blue,great & long tailed tits

5 Herons flying over,8 ring necked parakeets,pheasent,Lesser,greater spotted & green woodpeckers in abundance(well the latter two anyway,just one lesser recorded today),nightingale heard,1 sedge warbler,wood pigeon,collared dove,20 plus skylark in the farmland surrounding woods,wren,dinnock & plentiful robins,3 jays,magpie,rook,jackdaws,carrion crow,starlings,10 house sparrows,chaffinch,greenfinch