Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Picking the team - a new direction?

Stu M

Originally Posted By: doheochai
Originally Posted By: PatMan

You don't sound to happy with the set-up anymore Dom - promises made and broken already starting to get ya down?

I will complement peple when they do a good job and defend them if I feel they are being unfairly criticised. I will support any proposal that I feel is of benefit to the club and MyFC. But I will criticise any move I think is a mistake and oppose any proposal that will have a negative impact on the club. Any move to pospone 'picking the team' until next season will most certainly have a negative impact on the club. MyFC is now responsible for the financial well-being of the club and cutting off our nose to spite our face is a serious error in judgement. The Board should not be discussing the merits or not of 'picking the team' - but how to implement it as quickly ans efficiently as possible.

au contraire - If MYFC drop the ridiculous 'pick the team' bit, I might even join myself , and know of a few other Fleet fans who also would.
I know that it wouldn't make up for the shortfall of championship manager types that would leave.
But imagine that, a club owned by the real fans, not just those looking for a online game thrill.
less money coming in would mean cutting the cloth differently, but that would suit me better than the other option.

I can only speak for myself and my own motivations. When I started with MyFC, I was all for "pick the team." I have changed my view on that but still believe it will have to happen because so many members signed up specifically for that element. I, however, will be "rubber stamping" Liam's choices. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested in learning as much about the squad as possible.

I religiously used the team selector until a few weeks ago. When we didn't hear a peep of feedback about whether our practice runs were remotely close to Liam's teams, I lost interest in a meaningless exercise. We're also not getting any of the team information on the MyFC site we were told was essential to "picking the team." So to me, there's absolutely no surprise that very few people are bothering with the team selector.

Now the fact that few people are watching the match films is much more worrying to me.

So, I think we'll ultimately have to do the "pick the team" part of MyFC's marketing campaign, but I think the majority of members will recognize that the best option is to select Liam's team and not second guess him. I may be wrong, but that's the sense I get on the forum.

Any move to pospone 'picking the team' until next season will most certainly have a negative impact on the club.

Far from it... It might upset the MyFC members - but the football club will carry on just fine without it... After all, they managed a Wembley final, and a good tilt at the play-offs perfectly fine without it!

Originally Posted By: rsheard
I can only speak for myself and my own motivations. When I started with MyFC, I was all for "pick the team." I have changed my view on that but still believe it will have to happen because so many members signed up specifically for that element. I, however, will be "rubber stamping" Liam's choices. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested in learning as much about the squad as possible.

I religiously used the team selector until a few weeks ago. When we didn't hear a peep of feedback about whether our practice runs were remotely close to Liam's teams, I lost interest in a meaningless exercise. We're also not getting any of the team information on the MyFC site we were told was essential to "picking the team." So to me, there's absolutely no surprise that very few people are bothering with the team selector.

Now the fact that few people are watching the match films is much more worrying to me.

So, I think we'll ultimately have to do the "pick the team" part of MyFC's marketing campaign, but I think the majority of members will recognize that the best option is to select Liam's team and not second guess him. I may be wrong, but that's the sense I get on the forum.

The fact that both yaself and Dom have posted on here about the lack of feedback concerns me!
Asking for feedback and or team information from Liam is totally ridiculous right now - he has 2 games a week to plan for, as well as a Cup Final, but surely the wonderful Web Team can provide statistics - after all, isn't that what computers do?

Is there any re-think on the option to just go with the managers choice of team, as this option was NOT going to be included!

To be perfectly honest, the longer that MyFC feck this part of the promise up, the happier most people will be anyway. Liam has done amazing without your input, why fix what ain't broken?

(Would be a real 'own goal' for MyFC tho, if they can't deliver on either of the 2 promises - no-one 'owns' the team, they are only members of a trust, and they can't pick the team either!)

Far from it... It might upset the MyFC members - but the football club will carry on just fine without it... After all, they managed a Wembley final, and a good tilt at the play-offs perfectly fine without it!

And next year we don't have enough money to cover the ongoing losses - MyFC can't borrow money to fund day-to-day losses - staff get laid off - players sold or released and the club slides down the table. I am sure that a couple on here would be happy with this outcome, but I would argue it's not in the best interests of the club.

To be perfectly honest, the longer that MyFC feck this part of the promise up, the happier most people will be anyway. Liam has done amazing without your input, why fix what ain't broken?

Yes he has - and if he is as good as everyone believes - how long do you think it will be before a club higher up the league comes in for his services? What then? In reality, what Daish has achieved this season is irrelevent to the discussion. He accepted the MyFC concept at the takeover and supported 'picking the team' by March.

Would be a real 'own goal' for MyFC tho, if they can't deliver on either of the 2 promises - no-one 'owns' the team, they are only members of a trust, and they can't pick the team either!)

It would probably cause irrepairable damage to MyFC and have serious medium to long term consequences for the club.

Originally Posted By: Chatham Gary
TBH, if MYFC never get to pick a side, it will be too soon.
If the 28,000 owners don't like it, too bad. Don't re-enlist. Thanks for paying off our debts and getting our squad on decent contracts, And Liam and the genuine Fleet board will use the Wembley money wisely, make no mistake.

To start with the MyFC Board implements the decisions of the MyFC membership, as is currently happening with the season ticket prices. I suspect, given the surprise that emerged from the recent Board election, next year and the year after there will be no 'locals' elected. The club still has ongoing losses of over

And next year we don't have enough money to cover the ongoing losses - MyFC can't borrow money to fund day-to-day losses - staff get laid off - players sold or released and the club slides down the table. I am sure that a couple on here would be happy with this outcome, but I would argue it's not in the best interests of the club.

Didn't take long for you to revert to type - "the Fleet NEED MyFC".

Yes he has - and if he is as good as everyone believes - how long do you think it will be before a club higher up the league comes in for his services? What then? In reality, what Daish has achieved this season is irrelevent to the discussion. He accepted the MyFC concept at the takeover and supported 'picking the team' by March.

The same could be said for ANY of the team - am sure that league sides would have been made aware of how well they are playing. Of course he's 'accepted it - he's hardly likely to publicly announce that he thinks letting 30,000 internet punters pick a side is a fecking stupid idea - especially when the same 30,000 can vote him out of a job!

It would probably cause irrepairable damage to MyFC

Can't see too many tears shed over that!
You have cleared the debt and raised our public profile. Fleet Leisure (which was losing money) is not part of the club (I think that's right?). The new stadium plans which were happening before MyFC would go on after you disappear. Any of you that have 'turned' into Ebsfleet fans, and made the effort to get to a game have enjoyed it - and might come back. Those that still feel a connection, but can't make the games will find some other way to support the club. Those that don't have that connection really wont be missed.

I suspect, given the surprise that emerged from the recent Board election, next year and the year after there will be no 'locals' elected.

Ah bless, is diddums upset cos he didn't get to play with the big boys? Am sure that the real Fleet fans (or 'locals' as you like to call them) realise this, and will work hard to ensure thay they ARE always represented fairly.

The club still has ongoing losses of over

Originally Posted By: Hirsty
It may have been oh so different if the local populus had shown as much interest in home league games as it appears that they are doing for the Wembley trip ! Oh well.......

The Villa trip was before my time (my time in Kent, that is!)... I know Fleet took huge numbers up there that day, was there any long term increase in gates?

PatMan, I don't disagree with you on picking the team. As I said in my recent posts, I personally am against it now. But realistically, I believe it has to happen in some form.

As for not being true "owners," that distinction doesn't matter to me. It was clear from the beginning that we would be members of a society, which in turn would be the owner. No one's really getting their knickers in a twist over that.

But the "pick them team" issue is a divisive one, on several fronts. My hope is that MyFC's web team will get the selector running with all the information we were told we "must" have to pick the team. Then for the remainder of this season, we do a trial for every game--with feedback and disclosure on the voted choices. But Liam still picks the team. This gives the web team the rest of the season to work out technical issues without anything being risked in actual competition.

I think we'll see that the majority of members (my opinion, and I may be wrong) want Liam to choose, and even if we switch to a full "pick the team" model, Liam's choices will hold enough sway that he'll still be the one picking the team.

Originally Posted By: rsheard
My hope is that MyFC's web team will get the selector running with all the information we were told we "must" have to pick the team. Then for the remainder of this season, we do a trial for every game--with feedback and disclosure on the voted choices. But Liam still picks the team. This gives the web team the rest of the season to work out technical issues without anything being risked in actual competition.

Great call rsheard!
This thread opened with a MyFC post admitting the 'team selector' software isn't perfect yet, and Liam has enough on his plate with 2/3 games a week without having to write reports to 'guide' MyFC into picking his team.
Yes, the 'pick the team' is important to MyFC, but surely not more important than the success of the club? Make sure it all works properly, THEN introduce it (if you must wink )

The Villa trip was before my time (my time in Kent, that is!)... I know Fleet took huge numbers up there that day, was there any long term increase in gates?

There was barely a short-term increase in gates. Think we got 800-odd for the next home game, then back down to 450.

They came, they saw, they fncked off again.

Pat, as you know from my previous posts, I would be happy for Liam to carry on doing it, but as the whole thing is based on pick the team, I think it has to come in at some time.

What we found out yesterday is that the trial using the Team Selector has not been done by many members, myself included. I saw it as a testing period while they got it working ok, it now seems however that it was more important that many many members entered selections.

With that in mind, a few of us are going to push hard this week on the other forum to get as many members as possible to enter a selection. If it is to come in at some point, it should be as good as it can be.

I think that until now I've kind of been part of the "Silent majority." The people who signed up to MYfc because it was different, because it was an alternative to fat cat ownership of football, because it offered a different way.

I realised that whichever team we eventually bought the local fans would probably be slightly and understandably hostile to the whole idea.

I personally was waiting for the team selection to "go live" before watching the previous matches online and learning as much about the team as possible. I think I am one of a lot of people and now after recent events it seems like MYfc are about to try and get all members back on board and interested in the team selection.

I believe that this can work but only if many of the 29,000 get involved again as they clearly weren't involved when the bloodless coup of a board vote went ahead.

The locals against myfc should really consider the situation to be a good one. Liam has done a cracking job, debts have been paid off, the chairperson of the fleet trust is on the myfc board.

If enough people pick the team, it won't need to be rocket science.

So I for one am back after waiting around in the wilderness and I think that once all the members receive an email, this will bring that silent majority back.

How many of you could pick the England squad for tonights game? all of you me thinks.

Originally Posted By: ItsBusiness

How many of you could pick the England squad for tonights game? all of you me thinks.

I wouldn't have a clue, I don't really follow any football by the Fleet. I watch the big games like the World Cup, but not most of the others. I probably won't bother watching the game tonight.

What worries me about picking the team is that it's not just about knowing the best 11 Fleet players to pick. What formation do we go with? What happens to my picks if I go with a 4-4-2 and the concensus is to go 4-3-3?

I don't really know anything about the team we're about to play, how can I pick a team to play against them?

Pre loading Liam's choice of team, or Liam himself announcing his preferred choice just leaves it open for anyone to know what team is about to be played. this is crazy.

One idea I liked on the MyFC forum was that the members pick the team, Liam then goes with whoever he wants and then explains later why he went with whoever he did.

Originally Posted By: chris blanc
One idea I liked on the MyFC forum was that the members pick the team, Liam then goes with whoever he wants and then explains later why he went with whoever he did.

This idea particularly appeals to me.

Especially if you remove the 'the members pick the team' and the 'Liam explains later why he went with whoever he did' bits.