Fans Focus - Non League football clubs

Picking the team - a new direction?

Sorry to jump in like this, but I have to throw in my two cents...

1. The video - Unless you've paid your 10 quid to get the Hi-Def version and the added material, the free matches are f'n hard to see. I honestly believe the player stinks and I've had my new-ish computer freeze up on me trying to watch one of the 90-minute matches. Tough to even watch the video under those circumstances, let alone get enough info from them to 'pick the team' for the next match.

2. Picking the team - In all honesty, only 6-7,000 people are voting in any of the polls, so why is anyone surprised that only 1-1 1/2 percent of the MyFC members are voting on the team selection? Everything has moved too fast and it seems to me that there wasn't enough time to get everything "beta tested" before we were up and running EUFC. That's understandable, but to still force "pick the team" onto the club now would be suicide.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to say 'sorry' for RVR - the definition of a forum is a medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas.

Thats exactly whats happening here - its good to see so many of the MyFC members argue AGAINST the 'pick the team' system as it is just now.

Yes, its one of the main ideas behind MyFC, and it was promised by March - but why introduce something that's so blatantly flawed?

Not meaning to open yet another can of worms here...or maybe I am, but not in an antagonistic way...but if we work from the assumption that at some point "pick the team" will become a part of MyFC, what kind of system do you (addressed to no one in particular) think would work the best?

Granted, you can easily say "none," but that ignores the probable reality that some system will go into place eventually. Just looking for input, not a flame war. (And as I've said before, I think we need the system in place asap, but only as a trial run for the rest of the season.)

I think that question really sums up the whole 'pick the team' problem. Its going to be (almost) impossible for a piece of software to have enough intelligence to really do the job as well as a manager. Years of experience, of knowing your own players, their moods, their fitness, knowing your opponents, and how their manager is likely to think, the weather conditions, the level of competition, attitudes of players to being dropped/subbed etc - all this needs to be taken into account, plus - football, its a funny old game innit?

Show me one piece of software that could have predicted Barnsley beating Liverpool away AND Chelsea - and you might be halfway to deciding what 16 players to pick from. Never mind the final 11, or what formation these should play.

I like the idea of the trial run where votes are cast but only used to compare against Liams team, but its a bit late now - the season is almost over, the finals (note, its plural!) have been reached, the play-offs are looking very distant. It would be more use to trial it over a full season. That way any differences in Liam's team V MyFC team can be fully explained (players rested for bigger games etc)

Originally Posted By: PatMan

Show me one piece of software that could have predicted Barnsley beating Liverpool away AND Chelsea - and you might be halfway to deciding what 16 players to pick from. Never mind the final 11, or what formation these should play.

But the software isn't picking the team Pat - the members are. The software is merely compiling the results.

The piece of Hardware needed to pick the team, is already in place! It is called Liam Daish and his scouting team!

You can watch as much video of Ebbsfleet players as you like, and make a choice, on how the player performs for one match. What you can't do, is watch the opposition, and make a decision on the tactics,and players needed to beat another teams tactics.

Ah......aren't the press wonderful !! Anyone heard anymore from Ian Ridley, Mail On Sunday, after he lampooned ( for want of a truer phrase ) the name change to Ebbsfleet ? I suppose he won't be refusing his all expenses, freeloading b*stard, day out on May 10th ?

Cheers,