Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Good Friday in Suffolk

Went to minsmere on good friday to be greeted with snow,freezing temperatures and gales.Nethertheless birdwatching wise i had a miserable day on the whole,had an hour a half on the beach freezing my nuts off where i was rewarded with a few herring gulls,6 cormorants,1 shag and that was all (4 days after freinds of mine on the same spot had divers,scoters,gannets to name just a few)

On the reserve there were good numbers of avocet,marsh harriers

and the usual waders & ducks you would associate with minsmere.Had a couple of garganay which is a new bird this year for me.

Spent an hour and a bit in the bittern hide where i failed to see a bittern or even hear one but had a few marsh harriers which showed well and on the way back to the centre i had a treecreeper which cheered me up a bit.

Went and sat in the car park at dunwich beach overlooking the reedbeds for lunch with alice and had 5 twite,rock & water pipit,skylark!,black headed & herring gulls and the called a halt to proceedings and went to our b & b.

Was going to get up at 5.30 the next morning and do some sea watching for 3-4 hours but with the snow hitting the coast and widespread traffic mayhem reported for the area decided to run back to upminster at 7 in the morning via little chef to watch the mighty urchins win 2-0 at Harrow.A good choice me thinks!!!