Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2008/2009 Squad

CT9

Just thought that this could be a little past time exploit for us whilst we all wait in anticipation for next season. Anyone fancy having a stab at next seasons 1st team squad?

Got to admit all those boardroom issues are all above my head, hopefully this will be a bit more fun for us to write about!

Here's my attempt, plus any new signings, a new manager might do.

Bowles, Krunic, S.C.S.,

Corbishley, Eastwood, Harker, Smith, Young, Wheatley,

Jackson, McAree, McKimm, Morris, Quain, Saunders,

Lewis, Pinnock, Pratt.

Add Coleman and Peters already on contract.

Not so sure that Saunders,JJ,Pinnock and Mckimm will stil be here.

I would like to see Josephs retained-i think he is one for now and even better for the future.

I always maintain, that we have the quality players-just lacked organisation and a manager .

I'd like to see the whole squad retained,then maybe a new manager adds three down the spine of the team and we wil fly.

The trouble is that a lot of those players might be good enough for the Kent League (ie one tier higher than the Reserves play at), but would be found out in Ryman League One. As we're in Ryman Premier more of them would struggle at this level (as Folkestone found out when their budget was cut).

Loaning out some of the better reserve players to Kent League or Ryman One teams would help them develop rather than think we're wasting their time & leave for pastures new. It would give them the confidence that we believe in them to be the future for Margate FC.

A new gaffer would have to trawl Ryman One for local talent <like Byron Walker who has just been released from Dover> & also gradually bring in some of our current fringe players. I'm sure that we could pick up some experienced players from the likes of Whitstable Chatham & Sittingbourne.

Bowles & Lamprell seem sound enough in goal, but lack experience (and years) to be first team regulars yet, so we'd need another keeper (SCS if possible).

We need to retain someone like McKimm & Jackson(preferably both) to give the younger players a wise old head or two to look up to.

I'd go for Jacko as a defender alongside Corbishley, Smith & Young.

In midfield we have Coleman, Morris, Moir, Quain and hopefully Macca.

Leaving Peters & Pratt up front.

Sprinkle a few more players - another defender, midfielder and striker. Then try and introduce some of the others Lewis <a player I admire but looks a little frail to me>, Taylor <very young & raw> & Eastwood from the bench.

It's important that we allow young talent to play from the bench. << The CK(and to a lesser extent) Trott>> 'let them be squad members but never play them policy' must be stopped if we're going to be a developing talent team.

Pity about the Harrow game was we didn't have the likes of Jason McAree, Chris lewis and Kenny pratt on the bench to put pace into our attack for the last 20 mins/1/2 hr, instead of the walking wounded.

What is desperatly needed is a strong pre season for these youngsters, not the local pub team one we had last season.

Looks like we will be going with the youngsters this season,all round, from what I'm hearing.

If the club are going to cut the budget for players then I can't see a manager with a lot of experience coming in.

Funny really as I thought the 5s would be giving us added income & therefore giving us a "bigger" budget to play with rather than cutting it. Somethings obviously not going according to plan as far as the 5s are concerned.

Could be the reserves are all going to be promoted en block next season so looks like they will nearly all be getting their chance now & maybe MW will come with them.

No disrespect to the youngsters but hiking up a few leagues could leave us as being the "Whipping boys" but on the other hand despite this steep promotion,being altogether & being used to playing with each other,things might not be as bad as I'm believing they will be and as a unit they could well do better than I think.

cookie, your reserves were great recently at the derby recently at our ground, and what ever MW said to them at halftime when you guys were 2- 0 down, plus the subs he brought on changed the game completely,especally if money is tight, I think MW is a good choice for your new manager, i undstand he doe'st want it,i wander if he been asked yet (offically that is)

I'm sure they did Rams60.I heard that too. However,doing it week in week out in the Ryman Premier is a different matter, but as you say they did good then & who knows maybe they will prove me wrong & give good accounts of themselves in this demanding league on a regular basis too.Lets hope so.

Here's another name I've just thought about for manager - Ian Jenkins (Cray). Failed (just) in the RL1S play-offs but he does put good attacking sides together.

As I have said before on here, I really do not believe that the football club will derive any real benefit from the five a side pitches. They are going to have to pay for themselves and then once paid for there will be the usual maintenance and all that sort of thing before the football club benefits, if ever. Let's face it, I understand a medical centre is to be constructed; no funding will come to the football club from that will it?

I doubt if The Hartsdown brings much money in to the football club - it has enough to do to show a profit and keep going anyway I imagine. That surely operates as a separate business.

The football club really needs to generate its own income, from gate money, good cup runs, fund raising initiatives from the management as well as MISA, transfer fees etc.

The above is only an exile's view and there may of course be Margatonians better aware of the situation but that is how it all looks to me.

Originally Posted By: Drummer

The football club really needs to generate its own income, from gate money, good cup runs, fund raising initiatives from the management as well as MISA, transfer fees etc.

Quite right too Gary. Especially the gate money bit. That definately needs improving again.

Originally Posted By: Wellsie
Here's another name I've just thought about for manager - Ian Jenkins (Cray). Failed (just) in the RL1S play-offs but he does put good attacking sides together.

Heaven forbid Wellsie-we can't have that.

Definately do not want an attacking side.

Lets have a side who can defend first and then worry about scoring.

In all seriousness, all successful sides build from the back.
Would love to see us grinding out loads of 1-0's next season

"Would love to see us grinding out loads of 1-0's next season"

As long as you are going to be there to watch them all - sounds as though it could be a real grind.

Personally I would like to see a team that can defend but that plays attacking football even, dare one say it, in a cavalier fashion. Obviously we want to win games but my view is that we should only be grinding out results against harder teams and winning in style against lesser sides. That is assuming there will be lesser sides of course.

If we want to get bums on seats (or feet on the open terraces!) I would fancy our chances rather better that way than 90 minutes grind.

Agree with cookie that it is a large leap from the reserves to regular ryman level.My hope is a manager with decent contacts comes in with at least the spine of a team and the decent youngsters to be phased in gradually.If they go up on mass and get stuffed week in week out their confidence may never recover

So after the latest news Margate FC will at the moment be Bowles, Krunic(?), Corbishley, Eastwood, Harker, Smith, Young, Wheatley, McAree, McKimm, Morris,Quain, Lewis and Pratt.

Definately a young looking team! Are Axon and Vanhinsberg going to be added to this list?

I hope that Joe Taylor will be offered a contract.

Something like this at the moment?

SCS, Bowles, Lamprell, Krunic

Corbishley, Smith, Young, Eastwood, Harker, Wheatley, Anderton, Payne, Joseph

McAree, McKimm, Morris, Jackson, Quain, Summers, McNamee, Keci, Axon, Vanhinsbergh, Yianni

Peters, Coleman, Haworth, Taylor, Pratt, Moir, Lewis, Brown, McClean

Anyone else that might be in the picture that I've missed? It will be interesting to see which current old heads will be kept on if any. Ok so the club want SCS to move on, and Yianni is sure to be offered nothing. Jackson, Haworth, McKimm... who knows?

Right now (without including new additions), I'd guess it might pan out something like:

-----------------Bowles----------------

---Corbishley-Smith-Eastwood-Payne-----

---------Morris-Summers-Quain----------

-Peters--------------------------Lewis-

-----------------Coleman---------------

Subs

Lamprell

Wheatley

McNamee

McAree

Taylor

I watched them play a few weeks ago at Southwood and was very impressed with the substitutions that MW made that evening. If the team can play for 90 mins like they did in the last half hour or so of that game I don't think these lads will have a problem.

Or do you think it will be a tactic to bring these pace burners on every game with about 30 - 40 mins on the clock?

My worry is when out youngsters come up against the sides with more experience and good pedigree. I think that is when we could lose a lot of points next season, it's nothing against our reserve players but the majority of them are young and still have a lot to learn