Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2008/2009 Squad

CT9

imo i think that the club should start with a new manager.

Whilst not experienced at this level why not give Steve McKimm a chance as player manager with Mark Wetherley as his no2. This will enable the transition from reserve to 1st team easier for the youngsters, with whom MW has worked very hard with over the past couple of seasons.

Agree with DG where fringe players would benefit by being drafted in a few at a time.

Bowles - needs 1st team experience, but i am sure is possibly the best young prospect MFC have had for years.

Eastwood - Too good for the ressies. I have seen him play on many occasions for the reserves and he is head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch at that level. Can make the step up comfortably.

Ells'a payne - not a natural left back, but has played a few games there for the ressies. Lacks Pace and could get caught out playing in this position at this level.

McAree - Very good with the ball at his feet, would like to see him backtrack a little more when losing the ball. Similar player to Paul Axon.

Lewis - Very hard working, endless running, but i don't think he is a natural forward. I would play him as an attacking midfielder. Could possibly make the step up.

Quain - Already proven - definately can handle this level.

Taylor - Still very young. Scored goals at reserve level, but his team contribution needs to be stepped up.

Pratt - Work rate second to none, needs to score more goals and was injured for a while last season.

Then we have the fringe players

Defenders/keeper

Lamprell - Good hands, is improving with kicking. Needs to grow a bit.

Vannisberg - Pacey left wing back, possibly can make the step up

Wheatley - Looked good at reserve level.

Gray - Needs to play reserve level, very comfortable at U18's

Midfielders

Axon - needs to regain his confidence after sitting on the bench much of last season.

Keci - Strong on the ball, needs to release it earlier though.

Forwards

McClean - 2006/7 season scored goals at U18 level for fun, very pacey and skillful, but was never given the same opportunity as Taylor in the ressies last year. He needs to backtrack more for the team. Would like to see him get a regular run in the reserves and maybe time will tell.

Ressie Fanclub. Whenever I've watched the reserves play McAree has always tracked back. Normally always wins the ball back. Beats the player (plus another 2 or 3 for fun) and starts an attack with some sublime skill. Memory springs to mind that lob-pass he played at Southwood. Plus at playing from right wing back he always seems to get in the oppositions box to shoot or even score.

I know I've only watched a few of the evening reserve games but he certainly seems to works his socks of to me.

I see very liitle of reserves, and one swallow does not make a summer-but i did see that 'lob pass 'at southwoood metined above-and it was very special.Had it been done in the premiership then the likes of Hanson would have been in raptures about it.

However-consistency of producing the basics week in /week out is what really gets you there.Reads as though this guy can do it though

I saw the 'lobpass' too, that evening, and I must say as soon as the lad took to the park the whole crowd stood up in anticipation and he totally produced, as he always seems to; whenever I've been fortunate enough to watch him play.

Got to agree with what everyone else seems to say about this lad he certainly looks to be a special talent. Plus as I've already said before I think he's going to be the player that everybody will want to watch next season.

To me football is mainly about entertainment. Yep we all want our team to win week in week out but to be able to do it whilst being entertained is the ultimate. This lad certainly has all the ability and skill to have us all standing on our feet and I would imagine start to fill the ground week in week out.

All-in-all there are good prospects for Margate. The problem seems to be that no one was prepared for what has happened with-in the club. At the reserve/u18 level in 2006/07 things seemed to be moving forward and at that time some suggested that the reserve side took on the first team as a matter of interest. Who knows.

The u18s were a great side once they settled and had it not been for many moving up to the reserve squad through the season that team were as good as any on their day. Along with those 2nd year u18s there were a few who showed great promise, McClean (personal interest so I will rattle on) has been mentioned. His goal scoring was outstanding with both feet, you had to add 2 other goal scorers together to get near his. This season he missed the first 2 games due to holiday, then on the bench for the next 2 from there he`s only played 13 full games this season but still golden boot winner but only subbed on twice for reserves out of 4 times on the bench. I can add that when playing for Ramsgate MUSH he was top scorer 2 out of 3 years, Ramsgate did not want him as an u18 along with a few others including Matt Bowles, hence they are know as the Ramsgate Rejects,who`s sorry now!

One of my favourites, Dan Hughes. Again will run and run with pace and has an eye for the pass, may need to put a few pounds on but I think he has promise and I hope he gets his chance in reserves.

It is fair to say that at 18 other attractions come into play as well as work and MFC need to make sure these lads know that there MIGHT be something more for them if they put in the effort.

If things move forward in the right way Margate could, in a few years time, have the back bone of a local grown first team. We have to give management and players time. I watched the u15s last Sunday and again there are some exciting player coming up, finished 4th in their league but outside this forum who knows it. Exciting times but we seem not to shout about it.

I believe the contracted players are Smith,Peters,Coleman and SCS (now on transfer list )

What we do not know of course is how many of the fringe/reserve players are going to be offered first team contracts/have left already/are just waiting to hear who the manager is/ what that managers aspirations are for the younger players

Spot on MM. However, opinion seems to suggest that come Friday of this week all will be revealed. There are too many romours about everything to get an idea, but two things we do know 1/is that come August MFC will have a mostly new squad of players. Just don`t know who they will be or from where and 2/ whatever happens not everyone will be happy.

---------------SCS-----------------

Corbishley---Smith---Ashby---Peters

-----Morris---P.Smith---Quain------

McAree------------------------Lewis

-------------Coleman---------------

Bowles, Krunic

Eastwood, Wheatley, Payne, Hickman

McNamee, Keci, Axon, Vanhisberg

Pratt, Brown, McClean, Moir

Got to admit it's starting to look promising. Not sure if Ashby is going to play or not, but I've stuck him in 1st XI; in the hope that he will!

Bringing in Ashby and Smith, looks on paper, like a masterstroke on behalf of the club. Guess they've got one or two seasons left in them, playingwise. Enough time to turn these lads into a very strong, LOYAL, local unit.

Would disagree with the playing side for Ashby. He's 38 this year, and last played two years ago in the Conf South.

We'll have to see with Smith. Not getting any younger but he's been signed as a player/coach so surely still has plenty to offer.

I can't believe you have left Joe Taylor out of your set-up, Hippy.

---------------SCS-----------------

Corbishley---Smith---Eastwood---?

-----Morris---P.Smith---Quain------

Peters------------------------Lewis

-------------Coleman---------------

Bowles, Lamprell, Krunic

Wheatley, Payne

Hickman, McNamee, Keci, Axon, Vanhinsbergh

Taylor, Pratt, Brown, McClean, Moir

Has to be said that we look very light at the back at the moment. Hopefully, that is an area where we can strengthen. If Hickman signs for us, that IMO would be a good move to bolster the midfield.

Porka, How can it look very tight at the back when those players are the same ones we had in the squad last season, which leaked goals like a sieve. IMO we still need at least two experienced defenders to have any chance of competing next season, let alone a decent striker. When injuries and suspemsions kick in we will be in deep poo!!!

Originally Posted By: margateshot
Porka, How can it look very tight at the back when those players are the same ones we had in the squad last season, which leaked goals like a sieve. IMO we still need at least two experienced defenders to have any chance of competing next season, let alone a decent striker. When injuries and suspemsions kick in we will be in deep poo!!!

I did say light at the back! Think we need at least one new centre back, and definitely a left back.