Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New Chairman and CEO announced

Originally Posted By: wobbly Wayne II

In the grounds of the Manor House at Swanscombe, Kent, the Invicta Memorial bears this inscription:- "Near this spot in the year 1067, by ancient tradition, Men of Kent and Kentish Men, carrying boughs on their shoulders and swords in their hands, met the invader William, Duke of Normandy. They offered peace if he would grant them ancient rights and liberties, otherwise war, and that most deadly. Their request was granted, and ever since, the motto of Kent has been "Invicta", meaning Unconquerable."

yes well now you are an essex colony that doesn't apply...grin

as I said the noo bloke is the best hope...

Originally Posted By: BustaGut
It is the just the nature of the beast, if PTT does not work, home based fans will stop going.

Busta - if PTT doesn't work there will be no need for the home based fans to stop going because the MyFC members will tuff it out. You can be opposed to PTT for two reasons (1) on a point of principle (which doesn't make sense to me) or (2) because you don't think it will work - in answer to which I would argue let's try it an see what happens. I didn't join MyFC to PTT but I recognise the fact that a significant number of members did and without implementing PTT it is questionable that MyFC will have enough members to keep the club afloat financially. But, after PTT is implemented and it is clear it doesn't work, then I will be among those demanding it be scrapped. Saying this I will repeat what I have said before - I am of the opinion that it will be far less controversial when it is actually working that it is at the moment.

They offered peace if he would grant them ancient rights and liberties and ever since, the motto of Kent has been "Invicta", meaning Unconquerable."

Shouldn't it have been 'Negotiable'...? grin

Originally Posted By: Stu M
They offered peace if he would grant them ancient rights and liberties and ever since, the motto of Kent has been "Invicta", meaning Unconquerable."

Nearer the truth.............Didn't Hengist and Horsa, and a few other savages "Conquer" Kent?

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
I will say however that your lack of NL experience may bite you and in that respect you need to be strong in your dealings with your non exec chairman and also brooks....you cannot run with the hare and hunt with the hounds...

Time will tell. I think you are right and there will be a few hiccoughs, although I would hope having JM as Chair will mitigate the risks.

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin

I shall keep off your back and support you as there is no other option.....happy hunting..
Appreciated smile

Cannot post much today as I'm in hospital having yet another knee op.

Several points though.

Very good post Harry.

I am greatly encouraged by the new appointments.

Both bring vast expererience to the club in their own fields.

If PTT fails, by the time it is scrapped, it will be too late as the damage will be done by way of another season on mid-table,no decent cup run and dwindling crowds.

I will let messrs Moules and Davis settle in and give them time to reflect on the folly of PTT.

As both are locals, they will no doubt be fully aware of the importance of the opinion of the local fans, who, at the end of the day are the most important people in the equation.

It is noteable that neither the new CEO and part-time consultant chairman mention PTT. It was probably wise not to as this is the MyFC Achilles heel - must not be controversial in an introductory statement! However, it is a central part of MyFC philosophy and Mr Davis in particular must have been attracted to this when he became a member. No doubt one of their challenges will be to try and pull off a situation where cosmetically (and officially) it appears as if PTT is in place but in reality it isn't at all.

I agree with UU that the success of the appointments will be dependant upon their not being in the pocket of and yes men for the Operator. If they can't assert thier independence (while of course acting within the terms of their employment) then their appointments will have been a waste of time. Mr Moules background makes him an astute choice, but exactly what someone can achieve for our Club when working perhaps only one day a week remains to be seen. Incidentally, have salaries been mentioned?

Originally Posted By: doheochai
It is the just the nature of the beast, if PTT does not work, home based fans will stop going.

Busta - if PTT doesn't work there will be no need for the home based fans to stop going because the MyFC members will tuff it out. You can be opposed to PTT for two reasons (1) on a point of principle (which doesn't make sense to me) or (2) because you don't think it will work - in answer to which I would argue let's try it an see what happens. I didn't join MyFC to PTT but I recognise the fact that a significant number of members did and without implementing PTT it is questionable that MyFC will have enough members to keep the club afloat financially. But, after PTT is implemented and it is clear it doesn't work, then I will be among those demanding it be scrapped. Saying this I will repeat what I have said before - I am of the opinion that it will be far less controversial when it is actually working that it is at the moment.

The reason it will not work for me is because a Football manager does not just pick a team!!! to some he is a father figure, to some a mentor, to others a uncle, to some a right git, he knows if they have home problems, he will know if they are concerned about something, they have broken up with there girlfriend/ boyfriend very PC huh etc etc etc and so on.
As a group you know and will know nothing of these matters and never ever will.
Liam will not broadcast these details on the net. I am sure that Liam has far more decorum than to post players personal problems and issue. At a guess I would suggest it would also be illegal, to give you or anyones else, information on players health, personnel life, and or or problems. so MYFC cannot pick the team correctly, It will be impossible. you have no real idea whats going on behind the scenes and never will. for once see past the end of your nose, rather than coming out with company propaganda. At times your blinkers are so large, that it makes you so narrowed sighted, with a very limited view.

The reason it will not work for me is because a Football manager does not just pick a team!!! to some he is a father figure, to some a mentor, to others a uncle, to some a right git, he knows if they have home problems, he will know if they are concerned about something, they have broken up with there girlfriend/ boyfriend very PC huh etc etc etc and so on.
Liam will not broadcast these details on the net. I am sure that Liam has far more decorum than to post players personal problems and issue. At a guess I would suggest it would also be illegal, to give you or anyones else, information on players health, personnel life, and or or problems. so MYFC cannot pick the team correctly, It will be impossible. you have no real idea whats going on behind the scenes and never will.

I don't think JM has been involved in the playing side of football busta but was.. I believe... a referee and league adminstrator and david has already stated that he is not a footie man in playing terms experience....therein lies the rub as I would expect both men to take a very positive view on PTT to start with...as you rightly say.. david was involved from the start with MyFc and PTT was always top of the subscription agenda....

however...both men are I understand local to the ground and both men will therefore be exposed to liam on a regular if not daily basis....a whole new world will open up for them... especially david and as the weeks go by and if he is as alert as those that know him say he is then he will undoubtedly begin to see exactly why PTT will not work...

interestingly enough brooks has spent a fair bit of time at SR since february and I'll warrant that even he is beginning to doubt the wisdom of the crowd (sorry couldn't resist) grin

good post by the way busta....sums it all up nicely..

Agreed - but that still does not mean that it cannot work. Just because it hasn't happened - doesn't mean it can't.

Liam will not broadcast these details on the net.

And rightly so - no one is asking him to (outside possibly of a handful irrelevent plonkers) and no one is expecting him to.

for once see past the end of your nose, rather than coming out with company propaganda. At times your blinkers are so large, that it makes you so narrowed sighted, with a very limited view.

Busta - I will say this again. I didn't join MyFC to pick the team. I was interested and intent on being involved, as part of a group of football fans, in running a football club. I firmly believe and I am fully confident that we (MyFC) can do that collectively just as well if not better than the vast majority of club owners out there.

But MyFC is a very radicial idea. And part of its radicalism and attraction for many was the opportunity to PTT. I do not know if it will work. I hope it does. But if it doesn't I will be among those arguing that it should be radically altered or scrapped. But we will not know if it works until we try it.

If it is scrapped before it is even tried then MyFC as it currently exists will be unable to continue. It will have to significantly change it mode of operation. The consequences for the club could be quite dramatic. MyFC needs probably in the region of 12,000 members next season to cover the ongoing losses unless there are significant increases in attendances. Without PTT I would be surprised if we got half of that.

Football fans aren't stupid and are not intent on destroying a club. Let PTT happen - let's see if it works. If it doesn't then I would be confident that the vast majority of members would be willing to scrap it and would be happy to continue paying the membership subscription.

As I have said on numerous occasions I would be surprised if PTT was half as controversial when it is actually up and running as it is now. I expect that for at least 45 out of the 46 games each season the coach will get the team he wants (or at the very least one that he is quite happy to see going on the pitch).

Finally, I am not propagandising nor do I have a blinkered view on this issue. I am fully aware of all the potential problems and pitfalls - not just of having the members of MyFC picking the team - but of the consequences for the club of not PTT. My approach is coming from what I consider to be in the best interests of the club (not MyFC). In my view there is the possibility of some short term difficulties when PTT is implemented, but it will have a more positive longer term impact (by either working or being scrapped by a decision of the members). Not implementing PTT has the very likely consequence of creating severe financial difficulties for the club by next February.

Finally, I am not propagandising nor do I have a blinkered view on this issue.

really well that makes a change then.....and should you not have a blinkered view then you would see the opposing argument...get rid of PTT and the memberships will remain well above 20k which is my previously stated opinion...

scaremongering to the fleet fans about collapse without PTT will get you no house points and if david has any sense he'll get you off here real quick...ebbs will survive MyFc ...make no mistake...

But MyFC is a very radicial idea. And part of its radicalism and attraction for many was the opportunity to PTT. I do not know if it will work. I hope it does. But if it doesn't I will be among those arguing that it should be radically altered or scrapped. But we will not know if it works until we try it.

If it is scrapped before it is even tried then MyFC as it currently exists will be unable to continue. It will have to significantly change it mode of operation. The consequences for the club could be quite dramatic. MyFC needs probably in the region of 12,000 members next season to cover the ongoing losses unless there are significant increases in attendances. Without PTT I would be surprised if we got half of that.

Therein lies the problem. If after, say 10 games PTT is proving a disaster it will be scrapped. By then the play offs will be a tall order at best, and we will be looking at a season of mid table mediocrity.

Finally, I am not propagandising......
Not implementing PTT has the very likely consequence of creating severe financial difficulties for the club by next February.

I ignored the rest of the post - we are all entitled to our own opinion... but this in the last paragraph just couldn't be left lie

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz

Therein lies the problem. If after, say 10 games PTT is proving a disaster it will be scrapped. By then the play offs will be a tall order at best, and we will be looking at a season of mid table mediocrity.

Agree with that - but doubt that MyFC would be so quick as to change their minds after as little as 10 games...

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1
Originally Posted By: Stu M

Nearer the truth.............Didn't Hengist and Horsa, and a few other savages "Conquer" Kent?

You know the rules about post match analysis.. if you weren't there you can't comment..

But apparently their last victory was offside and didn't count.

Up the Fleet ..

The reason it will not work for me is because a Football manager does not just pick a team!!! to some he is a father figure, to some a mentor, to others a uncle, to some a right git, he knows if they have home problems, he will know if they are concerned about something, they have broken up with there girlfriend/ boyfriend very PC huh etc etc etc and so on. As a group you know and will know nothing of these matters and never ever will. Liam will
not broadcast these details on the net. I am sure that Liam has far more decorum than to post players personal problems and issue. At a guess I would suggest it would also be illegal, to give you or anyones else, information on players health, personnel life, and or or problems. so MYFC cannot pick the team correctly, It will be impossible. you have no real idea whats going on behind the scenes and never will.

I completely agree with you Busta. It's not as simple as just picking the team, there are a whole load of other things to consider.

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz

If PTT fails, by the time it is scrapped, it will be too late as the damage will be done by way of another season on mid-table,no decent cup run and dwindling crowds.

Exactly. We are not in the position to try things out. If we try things out and it doesn't work and I'm sure there is a big risk of this, then all that's going to happen is that the attendance will suffer even more.

Some of the home supporters, particuarly the elderly,may not have internet access and won't have a clue what is going on with MyFc. Even if they didn't want to sign up, they still won't be able to find out what is happening. It's isolating.If they know that Myfc are picking the team and they can see it is not working, all that will happen is that they will turn their backs on the club.