Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Monday's Game at Lewes

For all those thinking of driving down to Lewes - be aware that Lewes has a very bad reputation for issuing parking tickets. They throw them out like confetti. It is said that if you are a bit slow pulling away from the traffic lights you get a parking ticket. smile Although I now live not too far from Lewes I never go there because of this.

The ground is not far from the town centre, near the railway station. Watch out!

As it has been some time since I have been there, I'm not sure about the pubs. There used to be a couple of good ones just up the hill from the station towards the town centre but I could not vouch for them these days.

Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
The tip is "Don't park on yellow lines !"

I vote for 2-2 duck

It's not just the yellow lines you have to watch out for. If you park in a bay that is limited to 2 hours and overstay you'll get a ticket very quickly, etc., etc. You have to watch out for all forms of parking restrictions because they are very quick to issue a ticket if you contravene in the slightest way.

Originally Posted By: Harry J Allstars
Isn't the game on Bank Holiday Monday?

Do their wardens work on BHM? Blimey, they are keen.

I don't think they are.
Keane are from Eastbourne and now, no longer work as parking Attendants, since the success of "Under the Iron Curtain" or whatever their album was called.

Originally Posted By: Yorkfox
An email reply from Lewes FC.

"We have a bar in the ground. It will be available to Ebbsfleet United fans on Monday.
Please note the bar will close 15 minutes before kick off and will re open as soon as the game finishes.
I hope this helps "

grin

Note to real ale drinkers:

The Harveys (award-winning real ale from a brewery located 200 yards from the stadium itself) always runs out at some point during half time, so get to the bar before the half-time whistle if it's ale you fancy. Unless the bar's no longer open at half-time.

Prices may have gone up over the summer, but at the end of last season it was

Originally Posted By: MrMushroom
As it has been some time since I have been there, I'm not sure about the pubs. There used to be a couple of good ones just up the hill from the station towards the town centre but I could not vouch for them these days.

Lewes is one of the best small towns in the country for pubs, and as far as I know they're all away fan friendly. There's a total of 22 pubs in the town. The nearest to the ground, the Landsdowne is one of the worst but still better than 70% of pubs in most towns. The second nearest, the Royal Oak, is a Greene King pub. There's been a lot of controversy about Greene King in Lewes. A thid of the pubs in town are tied to the local brewery Harveys and all the other pubs also sell their signature beer, the totally horrible Harvey's Best. Until Greene King, pissed off that Harvey's beat them to the CAMRA Best Bitter a couple of years ago, banned Harvey's from their three pubs (Royal Oak, Black Horse, Lewes Arms) in town. This caused demos, petitions, boycotts, smashed windows and near riots and GK eventually backed down, and allowed the disgusting drink back in. You cross the town-proud slack-jawed locals of Lewes at your peril.

The best Harvey's pub is the John Harvey Tavern (about 10 mins from the station/ground). Best free house for real ale fans is the Gardeners Arms - which is pretty much next to the aforementioned John Harvey.

Best pub for ciderheads is the Brewers Arms which does a fine Kentish cider called Biddenden on draught - it tastes like watered down apple juice, but is 8.2% alcohol. Dangerous! (They also do wimpier ciders for lightweights.)

Lewes introduces its own currency, the Lewes pound, in a couple of weeks, which sums up the somewhat insular/creepy nature of the place. The town is known to be a hotbed of both Wicca and voodoo, so don't go walking down any dark alleys or some witch might turn you into a frog or something.

And that is all you need to know about Lewes. The end.