Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Change the team?

marti

Originally Posted By: Richard C
I think we can all conclude that this game was a one off with a few players. Leave them in and let them come good. Stacy could actually do with the rest i think - but is good enough to be in the 11... Tricky decision as always but Daish will get it right.
I dont think we should drop stacy just because things are not going right for him, but i do wonder why he takes all the corners and free kicks, there must be others capable, who would take them if he was injured.

I agree about Macca - but I suspect his legs are getting a bit suspect - hence his reluctance to play every game.

With so little width in your line up, isn't it inviting the route 1 long ball stuff for the forwards to chase?

I must say that at present I prefer Hand playing as playmaker in front of the defence, 2 wide men (whoever they are) and Barratt behind a front 2.

With my line up, theoretically it invites more of a passing game, with crosses behind the defence, rather than hopefull bombs forward to chase.

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz
Originally Posted By: jc
Bazza stays because 1 poor game does not equal poor form.

That being the case, why has Ricketts been totally omitted from your XVI?

He wasn't at his best on Tuesday, but it's no exaggeration to say that it's arguably the first time you can say this since he joined the club. Put simply, he's long been the most consistent player in the squad for me, so I think he can be excused one relative off day.

Not everyone is firing on all cylinders, but some of the wholesale changes being suggested in this thread to a side tenth in a congested table are somewhat risible.

I think "wasn't at his best" is putting it mildly, to say the least JC. He was truly dreadful. It might be he wasn't feeling that good, I simply do not know.
But that wasn't the Ricketts who is so reliable and dependable.
Hawkins and Shakes were dropped after mediocre showings, so LD showed he is prepared to ring the changes where necessary.

If all team selection was conducted on this basis, constant team changes would do more harm than good and the chance of formulating a settled side would be nil. I hardly think replacing our most consistent player after one weaker than usual display can be described as 'necessary'.

Also, I'm not sure how you can describe Pooley as a player that 'could be considered a quality Conference player and regular first team material' when you have never seen him play a minute of Conference football.

Long has always been inconsistent, that is why he plays for us. If he performed at his best every match he would be playing two leagues higher when he is at his best he is head and shoulders above our other players. He may well be back at his best on Saturday or he might not but that is always the case with Stacy.

I agree 100% with JC over Ricketts, mr consistency had one bad game if you drop him for that you would be axeing half the team every other match.

Cronin

Ricko Macca Darius Opinel

Appiah Hand Barratt Long

Moore Gash

In that case Slarti do you pick a player every game "just in case" or do you drop him to give him that kick up the backside that he maybe needs?

Thats what keeps players on their toes knowing someone else is waiting in the wings to be given their chance. If you dont give him that chance and you stick with a player that is inconsistent, just in case! then that player waiting loses motivation and more important match fitness!

Bazza stays because 1 poor game does not equal poor form.

That being the case, why has Ricketts been totally omitted from your XVI?

He wasn't at his best on Tuesday, but it's no exaggeration to say that it's arguably the first time you can say this since he joined the club. Put simply, he's long been the most consistent player in the squad for me, so I think he can be excused one relative off day.

Not everyone is firing on all cylinders, but some of the wholesale changes being suggested in this thread to a side tenth in a congested table are somewhat risible.

I think "wasn't at his best" is putting it mildly, to say the least JC. He was truly dreadful. It might be he wasn't feeling that good, I simply do not know.
But that wasn't the Ricketts who is so reliable and dependable.
Hawkins and Shakes were dropped after mediocre showings, so LD showed he is prepared to ring the changes where necessary.

If all team selection was conducted on this basis, constant team changes would do more harm than good and the chance of formulating a settled side would be nil. I hardly think replacing our most consistent player after one weaker than usual display can be described as 'necessary'.

Also, I'm not sure how you can describe Pooley as a player that 'could be considered a quality Conference player and regular first team material' when you have never seen him play a minute of Conference football.

Fortunately, Liam does see Pooley as a Conference player, why else would he have signed him on a 1 year contract.
The same colud be said about Gash - plenty of goals in Conference South, but a bit of a gamble signing him for the full Conference.

Originally Posted By: marti
In that case Slarti do you pick a player every game "just in case" or do you drop him to give him that kick up the backside that he maybe needs?

Thats what keeps players on their toes knowing someone else is waiting in the wings to be given their chance. If you dont give him that chance and you stick with a player that is inconsistent, just in case! then that player waiting loses motivation and more important match fitness!

If you want players like Stacy or, a few seasons back, Jukebox in your side you have to accept that they won't be at their best every game, when they are playing well they will do things that the other players will never do but it won't happen every match.

If you wish to drop Stacy to give him a 'kick up the backside' you have to appreciate that you ae not dropping him until his form improves because:
A) You won't know when that is if he isn't playing.
B) He will always be inconsistent.

You are actually dropping him until whoever you replace him with fecks up.

If managers took that attitude of never dropping an off-form player Slarti the squad rotation system would be non existent!

There are training games, friendlies behind closed doors, etc to recover form.

Keeping players in the side that are obviously struggling to find form does nobody any good, the player gets frustrated with himself, the fans get on his back as they know he can produce better, and the players waiting in the wings get frustrated and lose faith in the management.