Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

london wasps new stadium groundshare?

In recent years wasps have been somewhat nomadic, having played across london and in more recent seasons groundshared with wycombe wanderers.

I heard something on kmfm about wasps looking at coming to north kent?

could this be a groundshare with the fleet?

There was talk of them going to guildford to a stsium that isn't even built yet?

Anyone heard of any similar rumours?

Allowing one of the most high profile rugby sides groundshare can only be a good thing. Crowds in the region of 10,000 for most games and the potential for more as Wycombe is a bit of a poor journey from our parts. Plus it means i can watch both the football team and rugby team that i support. West Ham are looking for a new stadium...

Originally Posted By: Dave EUFC
Allowing one of the most high profile rugby sides groundshare can only be a good thing. Crowds in the region of 10,000 for most games and the potential for more as Wycombe is a bit of a poor journey from our parts. Plus it means i can watch both the football team and rugby team that i support. West Ham are looking for a new stadium...

Does anyone remember the state of Wigans pitch a couple of seasons ago? Resembled a cow pasture!
Any income from Rugby will go to the Stadium owners, not Ebbsfleet. so apart from getting a new Stadium, Ebbsfleet won't gain financially!

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1
Originally Posted By: Dave EUFC

Does anyone remember the state of Wigans pitch a couple of seasons ago? Resembled a cow pasture!
Any income from Rugby will go to the Stadium owners, not Ebbsfleet. so apart from getting a new Stadium, Ebbsfleet won't gain financially!

But surely it makes the stadium more viable, in terms of sponsorship etc, having a Premiership rugby club playing there rather than just a low division football team?

A new stadium would draw bigger crowds AFF, certainly initially anyway, once you have them there you do need to provide a winning team if you want them to keep coming back.

The deputy leader of GBC, David Turner, is pretty high up in the English rugby scene I think. Doing a lot of work with the youth side of it. He's very keen for this to happen.

The Wasps are very well supported and would bring loads of money into the borough. I suspect that will be the main thought of the council

Originally Posted By: Slartibartfast

A new stadium would draw bigger crowds AFF, certainly initially anyway, once you have them there you do need to provide a winning team if you want them to keep coming back.

I agree Slarti, but we both know the fans are fickle, the Fleets more than others some times. We have both been at the ground, on the odd occassion, and been nearly crushed to death, then again, been there when you had to shout to talk to the person next to you.
You only have to look down the road at Gillingham, to see that fans come and go with the results.
A new stadium(which however fond of Stonebridge Road I am, even with it's many shortfalls) is needed, but I would hate to see the Club suffer for it. Even now more than ever, it could be a risky business to think it will drastically improve gates by enough numbers to pay the raise in rent alone.

On the lighter side, what colour would the Stadium be painted, in Fleet, or Wasps(if the rumours are true)colours? If it is the Wasps colours, I would imagine it would be like playing away every week! crazy

This conversation has been held in cardiff with the building of the new stadium. Sam The Man when in charge of the footy club was dead against it but the council would not release any funding if the Cardiff Blues were not involved. Hence the final result it is now a ground share. With the pitches being a better quality these days i don't thinks both sports would cause damage to the surface. The Swansea/Ospreys pitch is always in tip top condition.

IMO; I think if it were to happen would be a god send to the Fleet

I would love it as even though i now live in southampton, My family are all still from medway. So accomodation would be sorted and i would have a reason to make more footy games too.

The trip to wycombe is a total b*tch. takes way to long and its a souless place. the ground has a max capacity of 10,000 and wasps fill it more than wycombe do. they share the club shop, bars on site. The "away" terrace is still standing.

Fingers crossed.The links from the train, and A2 would make for easy travel from in and around london/m25.

The pitch would not be mucked up. wycombes isnt anyway.

The only thing you can see sometimes is the painted over lines from sats football game.