Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Crewe 1 - Ebbsfleet 0

Ding

In my opinion the quality of Donaldson's finish was the difference today. We had a lot of attacking play, but didn't create any stonewall chances.

I felt the barracking of the ref was somewhat ridiculous. From my point of view he got almost everything spot on today (especially our penalty appeal: their defender clearly won the ball). We lost the game because we couldn't set up chances, not because the ref was a 'homer'. Recalling the two dubious penalties at Woking, we'd already had a large enough dose of luck in this cup before today.

Our midfield was very lopsided today, with no real winger on the right, and George Purcell (based on several performances now, simply not up to Conference standard) on the left. All of our attacking play was channeled through Purcell, and I think that explains why we failed to create clear-cut chances. Also, Liam needs to decide if he prefers Stone or Hand. With Barrett's place in the centre fairly secure now, save a 3-5-2 of some kind, Stone and Hand simply don't fit in the same team. My personal preference would be to play Hand, who seems to have done little wrong (as opposed to Stone, who had a shocker at Burton and needs to stop blasting shots over/wide from 25 yards).

As has been said above, we also lacked a goalscorer up front today. Gash is as good as Akinde at holding the ball up, but his passing is fairly dire, while Ibe looks very useful but as a second striker, not the main one.

A further observation was that normally in such FA Cup ties, the non-league side is labeled 'big and physical', but today we were muscled off the park, particularly our lightweight attacking players.

On the positive side, Darius was stunning yesterday - clearly far too good for our level of football. He was so composed at the back and dealt well with the physical threat of Donaldson, and their no. 10 who came on for Grant.

With tough fixtures ahead away at 5th-placed Crawley, home to 2nd-placed Kettering and away at 7th-placed Cambridge, the Barrow match next week really is must-win if we are to avoid Christmas in the relegation zone.

Originally Posted By: Bernard

I felt the barracking of the ref was somewhat ridiculous. From my point of view he got almost everything spot on today (especially our penalty appeal: their defender clearly won the ball).

Though it could be argued he had a huge part to play in the goal, missing the blatant foul on Gash in the build up.

Originally Posted By: EUFC superb
Originally Posted By: Bernard

I felt the barracking of the ref was somewhat ridiculous. From my point of view he got almost everything spot on today (especially our penalty appeal: their defender clearly won the ball).

Though it could be argued he had a huge part to play in the goal, missing the blatant foul on Gash in the build up.

I was annoyed, too, at the time, but in retrospect, the ball went out for a throw after the dubious decision not to penalise the holding of Gash. We did not properly defend the throw in, which was not in an obviously dangerous position; this gave Donaldson his half chance & that was all he needed. I would have been a lot more annoyed, if they had scored directly in open play, from the advantage of the foul not being seen.

As for Bernard's view on the penalty not being given, perhaps he was a lot closer to the incident. From my position, just the "wrong" side of the half way line, it looked as though the player did win the ball, but made contact with Purcell in the process; hence his falling to the ground in a clearly un-theatrical way. I'd say that was a foul - but the ref was very well placed, as he was throughout the game, including when he waved aside claims that Darius had fouled Donaldson in the box. I'd disagree with Bernard on the midfield, though: I thought it looked the business & had control throughout the match.

No point in iffing & butting, though, we went out, but I took great heart from the way we played & thought the NLP reporter's 2* rating for the match quite derisory. On yesterday's show I'd go out on a limb & predict 7 points from Barrow, Crawley & Kettering. That's done for our chances then.

On the Crewe forum they all said it was a blatant penalty. Ref was quite awful throughout. Midfield was good. Stone played brilliantly i thought. Won the ball when it mattered. Hand was keeping the ball where it should be, on the deck. Barrett always looked dangerous and put in alot of work as he always does. To say they out muscled us is just ridiculous.

After yesterdays game, i think we have reached the turning point for our season. If we play like we did yesterday untill the New Year (and untill the end of the season)We will be knocking on the door for the top couple of places. Personally speaking we didn't play like a Conference team yesterday, we looked like a Division 2 Maybe 1 side. We played some flowing football and had some decent chances. In January i hope Daish brings in someone like McPhee or Akinde, to strengthen up the front Men and to add a bit of spice to the team.

i feel the only Conference thing about yesterday was the poor refing. I know the FA have brought out this Respect thing, which i am whole heartly behind. BUT when the refing was like yesterday that is taking it abit far to "respect" him.

Ending on a note, it'd be nice to see the fleet retain the FA trophy and get Promoted (and see the Shots go down)

I really can't see this thing about the ref. He was not the difference between the sides. The only difference between the two sides was that we controlled the football, bossed the game, but they scored from their only chance - that's football I'm afraid

And we are arguing about two decisions. One for a penalty - and that is causing a debate between Fleet fans on here. If we disagree then it can't have been totally clear cut (I thought it was a pen, but I was 40 yards away from it). The second for a tug on the half way liine that lead to a throw in. Two debated decisions in 90 minutes does not make an awful ref, regardless how big the decision

The truth is that you remember the ones that go against you and immediately forget those that you get. There remains some debate as to the Darius challenge on Donaldson, if he was a biased, useless homer then it would have been a pen to them.

I think that the slagging of the ref is detracting attention from where it should be - we were fantastic and really did ourselves proud. The performance and the manner of the performance - football played the right way - is what we should be focussing on

Come on the Fleet

Originally Posted By: gaspode

I think that the slagging of the ref is detracting attention from where it should be - we were fantastic and really did ourselves proud. The performance and the manner of the performance - football played the right way - is what we should be focussing on

Come on the Fleet

Absolutely, Mr G.

Having looked at the clips I took of the game on my PC, I have revised my original feeling that we didn't really create any solid chances. Gash's overhead kick about midway through the 2nd half was a great opportunity; Micheal didn't realise it, but he had time to turn & fire home. As for Smithy's acrobatic number near the end, it was in virtually the same spot as the one that flew in for Histon against us; it was a great effort & unlucky not to hit the target - a shorter player & it would have been there. Ibe's curling shot in the 1st half was desperately close too, as was a headed effort from Gash.

Well done boys. You did us proud.

Really pleased with the performance yesterday.

Listening to the their local BBC station on the way back, one of the Crewe Fans who called the show began talking about one of our players who he "would love to see in a Crewe shirt", most surprisingly this was Gash. IMO he played well yesterday, held up the ball brilliantly and moved across the front of their defence well... we just need him to start linking with Ibe and the wingers and we will start scoring more.

Stone is a player I was impressed with yesterday, and have high hopes for. I don't believe you can put him right midfield though, as he was constantly drifting inside and leaving massive holes in the midfield. Like Bernard says in the centre its either him or Hand and personnaly i feel Hand edges it, based on the fact he has better distrabution of the ball. It's a shame as i rate them both.

Darius is an immense player, who is a rock at the back. (is it for a whole season the loan?). Hopefull when he does return we will be able to replace him with some one of similar ability and Stature.

The lads and everyone involved done us proud!