Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Its fustrating

Our Team

Interesting to see BB returning with his only hobby, knock old HG for having the audacity to say that route 1 with no creativity isn't the way to win games and encourage more spectators.

Of course Hand is the most creative midfielder - along with Long (when in form). He at least has time to look where and to whom he is passing.

You appear to be in a minority about our play.

Respected posters such as JC, Bernard and Riverview Supporter are all unimpressed with our play.

Yet you continue to lambast me alone.

Get a life, as you are starting to sound like a forum troll hoping for a bite.

Originally Posted By: bilbo baggins
[quote=Hempstead Gaz]Yesterday was disappointing but Ibe and Hand would have made little difference. Our difficulty was breaking down a top-of-the-table Conference team. We had an off day - let's move on to the next game.
You must love us losing - Hempstead Gaz - it gives you something to moan about - again and again and again
You seem a lot quieter when we win.

You keep going on about one game being dissappointing - tbh we have been that way for much of the season.
Our lowly league postion and dwindling gates are testamony to that.
You seem content with average performances and are happy to allow the status quo with the team - and happy for quality players to remain on the bench or in the stand whilst mediocrity happens on the pitch.
I only moan when we play avoidably poorly, nothing wrong in playing well and losing to the better team.
To confirm my allegiance to Fleet, BB, perhaps you should read my contributions to the Membership renewals thread - or does that make it difficult reading for you as it proves how wrong you are.

Hempstead Gaz did you go to the Dover game? Hand played in that game and did not create anything at all, against so called lesser opposition! In fact he was constantly caught dwelling on the ball in dangerous areas of the field and did not seem to want to pass. Each time I have seen him play he has the attitude to want to have a fist fight with members of the opposition! This shows frustration in his own inept performance!

Murrey admittedly had a fair game, but again this was at right full back maybe this is his position and where Liam sees him as competion for Ricketts place?

The continual lumping of the ball up field is a problem, especially when the best football I've seen us play this season has involved us getting the ball on the Deck, passing it around and running at people. If you want to play a long ball game it needs to be direct to a player making a move accross the front of defence, much like how Burton played earlier in the season, not just a massive Hoof upfield and hope Gash gets is head on it.

I feel the biggest culprite for this is James Smith, 9/10 times when he get the ball he just looks up and then whacks it one.

When will Daish realise that George Purcell is not a game changing player just because he is willing to runs at players (Inverably losing the ball) or shoot from angles/distances which he's unlikely to score from (like at Crewe).

Although Stacey is still a shadow of last season, he is getting better and feel that his confidence is slowly returning. Hopefully if the team start playing he will begin banging them in or creating oppertunities again.

Things need to change soon, we have been playing poor, hoofing football for a very long. Even in games when we have won, the performace has been some what lacking. Its getting quite Depressing.

I saw much of the Histon game yesterday, they play a direct form of football, getting it to the forwards quickly.

The diffrence was, even against a good league side - the ball was knocked forward into the channels and gaps between the defenders. Their pacy forwards chased everything down and could have scored 3 or 4.

We simply hoof it upfield in the vain hope that Gash or Delicate are going to win the arial challenge and head it into a goalscoring postion.

It doesn't work!!!

By all means play big strikers, but they need good wingers to provide the crosses from which they can feed.

Neither George nor Shakes are good enough to beat their full backs and deliver killer crosses.

We really haven't replaced McPhee yet, and Long is being asked to stay deep, unlike last year where he spend most of the time as a cross between a left winger and inside left - resulting in scoring a bunch of goals and creating a lot more.

The alternative is play quick strikers with nible feet who can run the channels - Luke and Kezie spring to mind.

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz
I saw much of the Histon game yesterday,

Yes HG so did I. I have to say that I was very impressed by the performance of Josh Simpson, one that got away I suppose?

Still the way we play the majority of the time, Simpson as a mid-field player wouldn't see much of the ball had he chose to come to Stonebridge Road, he might have had a sore neck though warching it fly over his head after being hoofed forward by one of the defenders.

We simply hoof it upfield in the vain hope that Gash or Delicate are going to win the arial challenge and head it into a goalscoring postion.
It doesn't work!!!

It's also very difficult to film matches when tactics like that are played, especially at Stonebridge Road where the gantry is so tight to the touchline.
I am continually having to swivel round quickly from left to right and it's easy to lose the ball in the viewfinder.
It's far easier to follow the ball when it's played short and all along the ground...like this: http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/videoclips/COW_Cokell.wmv (My Sunday Team in action ! bugeyes)

At the last EUFC game I filmed though (Kettering), there did seem to be a lot more passing on the deck. Just no end product.

Hempstead Gaz - don't get a complex - let me remind you that posting a lot does not make you any more informed than the rest of us - if you didn't come out with so many negative comments,I would happily ignore you

You say "Our lowly league postion and dwindling gates are testamony to that" - we are mid table and the attendances are clearly up on last season - negative - pint half full as usual

If you read my post, you could tell that I was there on saturday and it wasn't great but I choose to support the manager and the players.

I agree that Ibe deserves a better chance but he is not a 20 goal a season man (like Charlie Mac). As for Hand and Murray, they are effective not creative. Stacy Long can be creative - but not on saturday or many other times this season.

I would go and read whatever you say I should but it sounds pretty dull

Perhaps you should read it , BB, it is an intelligent, interesting and thought provoking thread.

A very positive one.

But you seem to enjoy wallowing in mediocrity, looking for the negatives in postings, but offering no opinion of your own.

With the club awash with money in the summer, with a record playing budget, expectation was that we would mount a strong and sustained play-off challenge.

It hasn't happened, and presently seems highly unlikely.

The only way now is a string of successive wins between now and May.

An optimist will hope that we finish top half, a fool will think we are likely to get into the to 6 playing the style of football seen most of this season.

An optimist will hope that we finish top half, a fool will think we are likely to get into the to 6 playing the style of football seen most of this season.

I'm not entirely sure that our current position is all down to our "style of football". I'd argue that our personnel this season aren't as good as last year. We have lost three quality players in McPhee, Bostwick and Akinde, none of whom have been properly replaced. It seems that their departures have had a knock-on effect on our existing players' performances as well. Barrett seems less assured in midfield, and less able to get forward, without Bostwick's steel; Akinde and Moore were striking up a good partnership, which seems to be lacking between Gash and Moore. Moore is now often found on the wing, allowing less link-up play with Long (who has looked lost this season).

While I agree to an extent that the tactical decisions this season have often been slightly baffling (starting with Purcell against Crewe, dropping Hand and Ibe etc.), one cannot place enough importance on the departures of the above players, players who, as yet, have not been replaced like-for-like.

Hempstead Gaz - you seem to have gone off spouting the usual garbage again - without actually reading what I said

My opinion is crystal clear - that we have an excellent manager who we should support - through thick and thin.

As for "wallowing in mediocrity" you need a reality check HG or have we become the Man U of the Non League overnight?

"club awash with money in the summer" Don't be silly- get real

"expectation was that we would mount a strong and sustained play-off challenge" - a hope rather than an expectation - there are about 15 or 16 clubs with this hope too - we were at one on Saturday (Cambridge)- they get 2,500 to most home games and have better resources than us

However Bernard makes a very valid point about not properly replacing those 3 key players. You are right HG - he makes a lot of sense - try reading his posts and learning

I think that Liam will give some of the players until Xmas to perform or they will be shipped out. Signings such as Craig Stone, Ricky Shakes and Dean Pooley have not been a great success. Michael Gash - in my opinion - is a decent striker but we need (and hopefully will be getting) re-inforcements in January