Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

'Ricay v. Canvey - Tuesday 10th March, and others.

A shocking performance. I feel really let down by last nights events. I went to Canvey for the 4-0 drubbing and this was our chance to get revenge and banish the memories, and that's what we get served up?

I don't agree with alot of things being shouted at players, but last night I can fully understand the frustration of my fellow supporters. The players and management would have got paid for that shambles but the 400 odd in attendance gave up around 2 hours of their time and maybe

Originally Posted By: MOB on the rock
Originally Posted By: Keith.P
Surely all Jason and Grant need say is "remember August"

Funny I remember August it all came flooding back after the fourth goal!!!

Yep fair play. Your players looked more motivated.

Your keeper kept the entertainment going for us, decent lad...And agreeing to let the ball roll in for us was taken in good spirit, and gave everyone a good laff and probably an ironic cheer.

Six games on the spin away from home you lose...and then err you come to us - doh

I left New Lodge very dissapointed last night by the performance. Canvey deserved there win for playing the better football and showing far more passion than we did.

For me the problem is centre mid. I feel a bit sorry for Semanshia as he is clearly playing out of position but Leon has no excuses. I am not Paul Shave's biggest fan but last night when he came on he was the only person to look up and try and play it simple.

Even there Keeper had a laugh about us playing long balls to there 6ft5 centre backs. I really don't understand why we just keep pumping balls long. Good teams build play from the back but all our defenders seem to do when receiving the ball is look for the hoof straight away.

As Bluetone mentioned the players are either being instructed to do this or they are just ignoring instructions.

Anyway on to Harlow, well done Canvey.

Argggggggggggh! What a frustrating game football is. I guess that's why we keep coming back for more.

The postives from last night are that we didn't drop any places down the table, and we're still creating chances in front of goal which could optomistically have seen us winning 5-4 if 3 had come off (Billy's shot that just went wide of the post in the opening minutes, Flackie's goal disallowed for offside, Bradley walking the ball past the goalie only to mis-control it allowing it to be cleared by the defender, Wareham's penalty claim, a ton of corners in the last 10 minutes

They wanted it more.

In the absence of Macca & Game'O, Dormer is our only leader.

Did it hurt the players as much as it hurt everyone else? I'm sorry to say, I don't think so.

If we don't win the battle, we wont win the game.

Ashley Dumas had another good game

Well done Canvey, and good luck for the rest of the season.

I would pick Shave over Leon any day! And that was shown by the performances from both players last night.

Semanshia has also done a good job playing in central midfield, but his best partner is Dormer.

Maybe last season Flack and Bricknell paired up well together, but this season is different, and facts show that they do not pair up well together this season.

Why did we change a winning team?!?!?

Apart from Dormer being injured, that change would have had to have been made.. Though I would rather have started with Shave, but why put Bradley on the bench?

One thing that has dawned on me this year is what a tough job being a football manager is, especially if you manage it along side your full time job. It all looks very glamorous on the TV, with fantastic rewards, especially if you fail, but it must be tough at our level.

You have to be committed to the role from June to May each year (if not longer), preparing for and having training sessions and matches, assembling a team within a fixed or reducing budget, managing players injuries, egos, confidence, motivation and personal issues, attending reserve and opposition matches, dealing with the media, fans and board, and generally doing what you think is best to send the team out to win the match which as we know does not always happen for a number of reasons.

They must really love the game to put up with all of that, and the disappointment when things don't go to plan.

What a kind-hearted bunch you all are - feeling sorry for the managament and picking out positives from the game.

Billericay last night were absolutely dire.

There is no positives to be taken whatsoever.

Its a local derby where we've been tonked away already this season. Players should not need any more than that to make them play at the top of the game.

Add to that there was still a slim chance of a play-off place, and that should have been the best performance of the season.

Instead we got a disgracefully abject non-performance from a bunch of individuals that didn't give a t*ss.

The tactics were clueless, the passing was abysmal and the passion was all from those in yellow.

Nice of those of you to back Shave regardless, too.

While you can only see the best in him, it was yet another stupid feee-kick he gave away that lead to their 3rd and the nail in our coffin.

However well he occasionally plays, he is prone to giving away pointless free-kicks and contributing to costing us a game.

Having said that, who played better?

I can't think of many.

Ashley Dumas and Jo Flack worked hard but both were lacking in quality.

There's no point hiding behind injury or any other excuses.

That performance was a disgrace and the players and management should be embarassed by it.

Originally Posted By: Paul J
Outplayed, outfought and out thought.

The time has come for a change in Management. Lets make a change now and build for the future.

A couple of questions Paul...

1) For what benefit? You say make a change and build for the future. Why do that at the end of a season (with a cup game arranged next week)
2) An easy soulution but you mention "budget" in your post. Where do you think the cash will come from to appoint a new manager that would satisfy your and other supporters requirements (I could put "club" here but we all appear to have our own remit and opinion)
3) From what I saw last night, the management were "fired" up, just not some of the players. So what do you think a new manager could bring to "fire" the players up, especially at this part of the season
4) "Build for the future". Sorry but are you aware that Grant and Jason (with the help of the Chairman and John M) have put in a structure from the Under 18's through the reserves to the 1st team. Do you think that a new manager would want to adopt a similar structure or want to change it? SOme managers don't appear to be interested in a "club" structure, to bring up young new talent for the benefit of the club and the individual player...maybe because they don't wish to spend the time...
5) Do you think that a new manager would do any better, given our budget and current playing staff?

I have a whole new radical idea. Lets all apply to compete in the Essex Senior League and start again (with the current playing budget). That way, we should win every game and everyone will be happy. Of course, there will come a time when we will reach a level when, winning every game will not happen, so, tell ya what...we'll apply for the Essex Senior League again...and start again...and again...and again...(damn, why does my life always reflect a Status Quo record!!!).

Personally, I wouldn't want to because I understand that it's not all about winning (and losing) but hey, I'm game, if it makes the majority happy...(or the vocal minority)

Another in an already long line of poor performances this season. I thought that the result and display on August BH Monday would have been an incentive to put in an improved show with 100% effort. Unfortunately this didn't happen and Canvey were everything we should have been.

Poor defending for all of their goals, a lack of presence in the middle of the park and aimless hoofs up front again.

While the last 15 or so minutes were slightly better, I suspect this was down to them shutting up shop. I got the impression that they only had to attack and they'd score such was the standard of defending.

A huge improvement is needed for Saturday.

I like most fans have no idea what the 'structure' is behind the scenes, all I see is what's on the pitch on a Saturday and Tuesday and that's been one poor performance after another. You can have the best 'structure' in the world, but if during a match your pumping long aimless balls up to 5ft9 strikers up against 6ft5 centre backs then there's clearly something massively wrong.

You say the management were 'fired up'? All I could hear was there manager and goalkeeping coach for long parts of the match screaming at their players and they were 4-1 up at the time!

Basically, as the Chairman has stated, we are budgeted for promotion, it's not working and needs fixing before we are closer to the Essex Senior League than the BSS.

I must say that the desire to win from the Canvey players was impressive last night, particularly in the latter stages of the game. Despite being 4-1 or 4-2 up and with only 5-10 minutes to go, their goalkeeper and defenders were still yelling/swearing at each other to get into position and defend as if their life depended on it. Particularly impressive as their win came after a poor spell of form away from home.

I've seen some of our players display this kind of passion on sporadic occasions, but the collective response across the defence from Canvey, when they were comfortably in the lead, was impressive.

Originally Posted By: Bluetone

Basically, as the Chairman has stated, we are budgeted for promotion, it's not working and needs fixing before we are closer to the Essex Senior League than the BSS.

Hmmm...lets see...if were to fall down to the ESL, that would be a fall of 33 places in the Pyramid...the BSS is about 12 places...

And I believe the the Chairman said "budgeted to "compete" for promotion"...I will give you that the ambition may not have paid off this season but that is the thing with ambition...it don't always come off.

And may I introduce you to cotton buds...

Originally Posted By: Barry_T
What a kind-hearted bunch you all are - feeling sorry for the managament and picking out positives from the game.
Billericay last night were absolutely dire.
There is no positives to be taken whatsoever.

It's just not in my nature to kick someone when they are down. I also try to look for the postives in every situation - gives you something to cling on to and work with.

Yet another shambles of a performance. When the Ryman League teamed up with Comic Relief and said do something funny for money, I didn't expect our players to take to the pitch as eleven clowns. Clueless, inept and no fight. Just as well that Jason Broom didn't want 'revenge'.

Originally Posted By: The Town Crier

Barry
I noted that you are warming towards PS pointing out that he was possibly our best player.

Ha ha.
Very good
I actually made him my 3rd best player, but only because I closed my eyes every time he went near the ball for the last 25 mins!

Comment re Ashley retracted.
He has been outstanding of late, and I meant that last night alone his usual standard of quality was lacking.

Phew - nearly gave myself a black mark even before I've had my impending interview!

Maybe we should do a Fisher Athletic and let a supporter manage the team for one game?

There is comic relief on Friday! Could raise money for that lol!

Canvey had not won away since November as someone else had pointed out, before last night. Yet they still manage to score 4 against us.. Again. If it were any other team.. All you would have to say is - Remember August!

Behind the goal.. I couldn't hear the management encouraging the team/telling them what to do.. Like I have heard other managers before... And from what I could see.. They just looked lost.

How did I guess that you would be first to defend the Managers as soon as I questioned their future Gazza?! smile

I have based my opinion on what I have witnessed over the course of the season so far. When we were struggling with injuries and form earlier this season the time wasn