Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Frome Town On Tour. Watch out Windsor!!!

southwestred

Originally Posted By: windsorian
You are welcome to post as many times as you like,just dont go on certain sites in this neck of the woods you might find them a bit grumpy,thats why WR spends so much time on our board.

Am i right to believe that WR is a Slough fan? For some reason i have it in my head that Slough are "The Rebels". Is that right?

lol

I actually went in the Elms the other night for the first time since Aiden left and yeah the new landlord is indeed a footy fan. But it was a bit weird inside they have another pool table now, no wii anymore and it was utterly dead... on a saturday night, plus they shut off the bottom half of the bar so I didn't see if the flat screen TV's were still there.

Bricklayers is a decent pub, one I drink in occationally as its a midway meeting point for mates who live the other end of windsor (dedworth).

I don't drink in the TB often enough to know the landlord so I couldn't say, but it is a buisness pub during the week days then seems to be mainly 30 somethings it the evening.. oh god..i'm a 30 something the wrong end of it too... laugh

Slough are indeed the Rebels I think most people are gutted they have left the league as its our local Derby and they always bring a good gate. Any club that brings fans in and money to the club is ok in my book!

Well said Joel, some one with some sense at last! I thought i was flogging a dead horse with the

likes of Windsorian and Woody WEFC with their basic lack of football economics. We too will miss

the Windsor derbies, of course we would rather play Windsor than the likes of Bracknell who

brought less than 10 fans to us.

Do any of you Windsor lads support Brentford too. I know Reading are the closest league team but obviously Brentford are a far superior club or are you strictly Widsor & Eton fans?

Originally Posted By: Windsor Rebel
Southwestred: yes i am a Slough fan, the best supported away club in the BGB Midlands.

Bromsgrove have a fair following i think. Leaminton were the best supported but were promoted wernt they. How many do you take away on average then?
Also, why are you in the Mids division? A fellow frome fan said its because you share at Beaconsfield so you have no option but to play Mids.
Is that correct?

Bromsgrove take a few as they are an ex-Conference club, the same as we are. We take normally

between 50 to 100, always one 52 seater coach plus others by car/train. We got moved to the

Midlands Division because of the geographical links- Beaconsfield/Slough is right on the M40.

Also, the teams that came down were South-West based. How many do you take away then?

Originally Posted By: Windsor Rebel

How many do you take away then?

Id say on average 30+ at Western League level but i imagine it'll be 50+ this season. When the match is a must win game then we do turn out in numbers. 80-100 at both Skelmesdale & Jarrow in the Vase the other year (both very long distances from Frome) This season gone,we had well over 300 for an FA Cup replay at Team Bath, over 150 at Poole, also in the Cup, 130+ for our away game at champions Bitton on top of 150+ for what turned out to be our final game in the Western League (away to Dawlish). I imagine for our local games - Mangotsfield,Paulton Bridgewater, Taunton & Yate we'll take 100 on a saturday match. I expect Paulton Rovers to be our Boxing Day/ New Years fixture in which case if its away then easily 200 for that.
BUT on a run of the mill league match as i said, this year, 50+ i expect (Hope!)

In that case i would say you will be one of the best supported (away) teams in the BGB South and West. Some of the teams in the BGB South and West take fewer than 20 away (I am thinking of

teams like Bracknell, AFC Hayes, Uxbridge and Beaconsfield). To their credit, Windsor take a loyal following.

I know about AFC Hayes & their support. We played them 3 seasons back (in the FA Vase) when they were known as Brook House. I travelled up to Frome for the match & was amazed at the size of the crowd. There was, for some reason,(by our standards) a huge turn out of 750. I assumed that Brookhouse (Hayes) had bought 100's for what was, i assumed, a bigger game for them than it was for us. When Frome scored 1st The Hill just errupted into cheers but when BH scored there was a deadly silence! I seriously doubt they had anymore than 10 fans!!!

Team Bath were like that in the FA Cup this year. At home we had 550 of which no more than 20 were TB fans. In the replay we took 300+ in a total gate of 450 )their highest of the season with the exception of Wimbledons visit)

It never ceases to amaze me how clubs can sustain level 4+ with such poor support.

PS. How do you upload an avatar on this forum?

You wait till you visit AFC Hayes (Brook House). Then you will see what a run-down ground and no support really is. Bracknell is not much better. The place has not had a lick of paint in 30 years. And last time i was there (last season), there was still an advertising boarding for

Watneys Red Barrell!

Our ground has seen a lot of improvements over the last couple of seasons with more to come in the near future. Its a tidy ground but probably basic compared to more established SL clubs. Heres a few shots of the most recent work carried out behind the goal at the famous Club House End. This is where the noise is generated by the Frome fans. The next phase is to terrace this area & fit a new roof & also a new turnstile block.

http://frometownfc.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=621

Just click on the link posted by "Kenny"

We played Team Bath too. A massive, but run down, ground with hardly any 'fans' most seemed to be family and freinds...infact i think the Windsor pass holders would of outnumbed their fans! Bizzare. And i think we'd of done them at the Meadow if only!!

Wow where did this thread come from?? Some interesting points.

SWR - We love our trips to the West Country, for some reason we seem to take more supporters to the further afield games than we do the local ones. I suppose a pub crawl around somewhere like Frome is a bit more appealing than a day out in Bracknell! I too sometimes go on the Englandfans forum but can't stand it on there for very long, it seems to be full of people harping on about Stoke City for some reason.

WR - I was trying to remember the other day where I had seen Watneys Red Barrel advertised. It made me chuckle at the time when I saw it. They could probably make themselves a few quid by selling that advertisement board to a museum.

As for the great pub debate. I have to say the amount of genuine pubs in Windsor Town Centre is beginning to dwindle, the cobbled streets is now the only place with "proper pubs" remaining. Everywhere else has been turned into either a poncy bar or a restaurant. Its come to something when you begin to miss places like The William/Swan/Donkey house etc.

I used to frequent the William on a regular basis, although this was in its twilight years. We used to moan about the place at the time but then missed it when it was gone. The same can be said for most of the old-skool pubs which have disappeared in the last decade or so.