Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v D & Redbridge

A thoroughly entertaining game.

For the first 15 minutes or so Dagenham played like a football league team. They were faster to the ball and, throughout most of the game, seemed to dominate the centre of the park. In the first half their number 16 completely controlled the area around the centre circle. We conceded a goal in the first five minutes from a corner.

Our second goal may have been offside but who's complaining Blackburne had to do a lot of work in order to score. The most amusing part was the goalie coming out to collect a high ball and then realising that he was out of the area had to drop his hands but was not high enough to head the ball away. Blackburn then had to beat him the bouncing ball shrug off both his and the last defender's challenge to put the ball into an empty net.

Second half I felt was more even especially the first 20 minutes or so when our attackers caused considerable discomfort to their back three. Especially their number 5 who was either cross with his own team mates or the ref.

In the last 15 minutes or so our back line was under an awful lot of pressure but I felt that they were strong and were unlucky to concede a late equaliser. Dave Walton, who until then had had an outstanding game came for a cross but got nowhere near it. The ball swung to the far post and in the ensueing melee was poked in.

Dave Allen had a good game as well as the two goal scorers 10 and 11. ANdy Jones added more sharpness in the middle which meant that number 16 didn't have it all his own way second half. There are definitely some class players in the squad but in early exchanges did not have the sharpness or match fitness of Dagenham. It has to be expected as Dagenham's season starts Saturday and, though we have a competitive game on Wednesday, our real business starts a week Saturday.

Not a bad performance infact at brief moments looked very good. 4-5 players looking good, the rest well the jury is still out . Seems to be a hint of last season's problems/issues coming to the fore, maybe it is because some of last season's players, well, shouldn't be there.....

Up front I think we will be ok, Stuart seems a livewire goalscorer, last seasons midfielders well seem very shaky/slow/unfit....new midfield players that have come in seem better. Defence showing potential. Keeper pulled off a couple of good saves but conceded soft goals.

This is reality.....season starts in a couple of weeks, not sure yet, I hear there was talk of a game between our u18's and the 1st team - my money would be on the youngsters and so would a lot of the supporters - listening to whispers on the sideline. Into the first team from the u18's I hear they should put Jason Holmes straight in goal, Tom Riley in central defence, Ricky Stoyles at right back, Nathan Duck at right mid, Antony Stockman at left mid, with a couple of others on the bench ie Archie Morris and Ryan Warren. That's just for starters. But hey what do I know, as mentioned I just listen to what is suggested amongst supporters (whoever they are). It is preseason so we do have to see really what happens when the season starts. We just have to be better than last season as long as players are there for the right reasons.................Come on The Town

Originally Posted By: Fan-tastic
Not a bad performance infact at brief moments looked very good. 4-5 players looking good, the rest well the jury is still out . Seems to be a hint of last season's problems/issues coming to the fore, maybe it is because some of last season's players, well, shouldn't be there.....
Up front I think we will be ok, Stuart seems a livewire goalscorer, last seasons midfielders well seem very shaky/slow/unfit....new midfield players that have come in seem better. Defence showing potential. Keeper pulled off a couple of good saves but conceded soft goals.
This is reality.....season starts in a couple of weeks, not sure yet, I hear there was talk of a game between our u18's and the 1st team - my money would be on the youngsters and so would a lot of the supporters - listening to whispers on the sideline. Into the first team from the u18's I hear they should put Jason Holmes straight in goal, Tom Riley in central defence, Ricky Stoyles at right back, Nathan Duck at right mid, Antony Stockman at left mid, with a couple of others on the bench ie Archie Morris and Ryan Warren. That's just for starters. But hey what do I know, as mentioned I just listen to what is suggested amongst supporters (whoever they are). It is preseason so we do have to see really what happens when the season starts. We just have to be better than last season as long as players are there for the right reasons.................Come on The Town

What with your 12 posts,it seems like you have arrived at Town at the same time as the new management and new players.(Failing that,you are probably involved with the under 18's.A father of a player maybe)As such,you probably know as much about the qualities of last years first team players as us Town fans know about the new and youth players..Ie.Not much!So whilst you may not be totally convinced about the abilities of the old players.We might not be totally convinced yet about the abilities of all of the new players (or of the youth players).

Ok.Of course you are going to favour the u18 players because you probably know them a lot better,but don't dismiss all the players from last year that are still with the club.Players like Dave Allen,Chris wild,Andy Jones.etc, could well prove invaluable this season..

been at the town for a few years now and no I am not involved which allows me to give my neutral and unbiased views from the outside looking in. As mentioned in my post I say that some of last season's players shouldn't be in whilst some are more than worthy of their positions. May have 12 posts but that doesn't mean I haven't been around watching what's going on. Over the years too many worthy players have left the club for not being given a chance whilst "name" players are kept on because of who they are and not because of their form.

I take on board your points but age shouldn't come in to it. If a player is in form they should be given an opportunity. I enjoy the game and attended most of the first team, reserve's and u'18's games and the same names seem to pop up of players in form but the "name" players seem to retain their positions. Experience with a mixture of youth is a good recipe. Players need to know that their places are always under threat should their form wain and that creates healthy competition which will make players better.

I will post further comments from whispers I hear.....

Originally Posted By: Fan-tastic
been at the town for a few years now and no I am not involved which allows me to give my neutral and unbiased views from the outside looking in. As mentioned in my post I say that some of last season's players shouldn't be in whilst some are more than worthy of their positions. May have 12 posts but that doesn't mean I haven't been around watching what's going on. Over the years too many worthy players have left the club for not being given a chance whilst "name" players are kept on because of who they are and not because of their form.
I take on board your points but age shouldn't come in to it. If a player is in form they should be given an opportunity. I enjoy the game and attended most of the first team, reserve's and u'18's games and the same names seem to pop up of players in form but the "name" players seem to retain their positions. Experience with a mixture of youth is a good recipe. Players need to know that their places are always under threat should their form wain and that creates healthy competition which will make players better.
I will post further comments from whispers I hear.....

And keep an eye on the physio's list of injuries. Tom for one won't be playing for a while, and Archie's a long way short of fitness!

All I say is that it's refreshing having a new management team that will not pick 'name' players and will pick from strength.

The U18's should finish very high up in the reserve league if they are as good as the comments on hear suggest.

One step at a time I think, otherwise it seem's like the players are getting some steady progression and the Hayes game will be a better benchmark than the Daggers game.

Originally Posted By: Enfield United
All I say is that it's refreshing having a new management team that will not pick 'name' players and will pick from strength.

The U18's should finish very high up in the reserve league if they are as good as the comments on hear suggest.

One step at a time I think, otherwise it seem's like the players are getting some steady progression and the Hayes game will be a better benchmark than the Daggers game.

Do you seriously reckon any of the good youngsters are going to break through and break down the mates clique that have gone everywhere with Deanus and Newing. Dream on.

I agree to a very large extent with you backfour1. However we need a squad of about 18-20 for the entire season, the matey brigade are introducing 10-11 of their guys to the club, so there is room and lets be honest if a player is evidently better I do believe he will be selected.

What the Matey brigade have achieved already is that the ex-mafia brigade's voice that have at best got us to 12th place in the league will be less an influence, and that is a good start.

Rather than a matey brigade it's the players that they already know about and from what I have seen they aint a bad bunch and have bonded with the players that have stayed from last season instead of ignoring them like the matey bunch that last years management brought in.

Before saying this player should start or moan about that player shouldn't be here they all need to be giving a chance especially by those that haven't even been to any friendly.