Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island Vs Ashford Town (Middx)

Matt H

Canvey are 6/5 on Skybet for this one tomorrow night!

Personally I think that's short considering from what I remember of last season Ashford were one of those teams who came to Canvey for a 0-0.

Hopefully being at home on a Tuesday night will give us an improved general performance from Saturday with some support up front for Rowe and a bit more bite in midfield.

Ashford beat Kingstonian 3-1 on Saturday so this is going to be tough! I'm going for a 2-1 win tomorrow night with Jay Curran and James Rowe scoring for the Yellows.

Attendance of 318 for our first home game of the season.

Match Reports from last season:

Away - http://www.canveyislandfc.com/archive/matches/2008-2009/ashford_town_a.shtml

Home - http://www.canveyislandfc.com/archive/matches/2008-2009/ashford_town_middx_h.shtml

Paul's Away Pics - http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/canveyislandfc2/Ashford%20Town%20Mddx%20A/Paul%20Chesterton/

Paul's Home Pics - http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/canveyislandfc2/Ashford%20Town%20Mddx%20H/Paul%20Chesterton/

Looking forward to it already!!!!

Judging by the Ashford forum, there won't be many of them making the trip down tonight preferring to watch their Reserve game.

So plenty of vocals from the Yellow Army tonight, 12th man and all that.

FULL-TIME: CANVEY ISLAND 2-1 ASHFORD TOWN (MIDDX)

Fantastic performance tonight by the entire team, showing hard-graft and team-work to grind out a positive result from a potentially difficult fixture.

After an even first-half in which Canvey conceeded from a sloppy free-kick, Canvey stepped up after the interval and showed some great attacking play from Curran, Rowe, Cohen, Leon Gordon and Fanibuyan, who was back playing in his best position behind the two Strikers and earned himself Man of the Match.

Crow was a rock, securing the midfield and the same back four that lined up on Saturday are gelling brilliantly as a unit and again I have to mention the performances of our full-backs, particularly Everett who was outstanding.

The two goals scored were superb efforts of well worked pieces of football. Patten's first goal for the Club coming from a corner that he poked in at the far post and Cohen scoring a repeat of Didier Drogba's injury time goal against Hull on Saturday. Great stuff!

Ashford as expected were content for the draw and started time-wasting in the first-half! Ashford going one-up made it even more difficult for Canvey, but they kept their heads up and the rest is now history. Personally I would've been happy with a point, but after tonight's effort to get all three points the Yellow Army went home eccstatic!

Finally, a little note on the evils of Gambling....

Was looking on Skybet this morning and a tenner on Canvey to win tonight and Chelsea to beat Sunderland 3-1 would've netted me just under

Have to disagree there Ken, I thought we were fantastic in the second half and played them off the pitch. If we can play like we did in the second half for the majority of the season, we'll definitely win a lot more games than we'll lose.

I think it was the best I have ever seen Gabs play, although Grays away last season is a close second. He was like a machine, charging through Ashford players like they weren't there!

The defence was pretty solid, with Mooro and Patten on top of things in the middle, and Everett & West putting in the miles either side to good effect.

Leon is still getting back into the swing of things but still had a decent game, and Greg Cohen was enough of a threat out on the left that the attacks were being launched right across the pitch. And with Crow in the middle picking up the loose balls and redistributing it, the midfield as a whole was very effective.

Up top Jay & Rowe both had good individual games, though it may take a while for them to form a partnership. They both ran and ran all night, creating space for themselves and others constantly.

Last night's second half was definately one of the best team efforts I've seen for a while.

First-half we found Ashford difficult to break down, but they were playing 6 at the back at times to soak up the pressure and limiting our width. We created plenty of chances though and Leon's free-kick was tipped over the bar.

Whatever was said in the changing room at half-time worked!

Bognor are yet to get off the mark from their first two games - goals and points wise.

Also, who would've thought that after just two games both Kingstonian and Margate would've conceeded 8 goals each! Margate with no reply, -8 goal difference!

First half was rather lacklustre. They scored a lucky goal and then stifled the life out of our attack.

Second half we were much better with Gabby driving us on from midfield and Greg and Leon a threat on the wings.

Defence was good all night. Really impressed with both Everett and Westy who carried on their good performances from Saturday and Ben Patten was outstanding winning everything in the air and making a number of crucial tackles.

We certainly deserved to win and created the better chances. Other than the goal, Ashford didn't create alot although their forwards were a handful at times. They seemed content to sit back and soak up the pressure and eventually we broke through them.

A decent 3 points and also a decent crowd of 334. Not bad for a Tuesday night with Champions League footie on the TV.

Originally Posted By: YELLOW
First half was rather lacklustre. They scored a lucky goal and then stifled the life out of our attack.

Second half we were much better with Gabby driving us on from midfield and Greg and Leon a threat on the wings.

Defence was good all night. Really impressed with both Everett and Westy who carried on their good performances from Saturday and Ben Patten was outstanding winning everything in the air and making a number of crucial tackles.

We certainly deserved to win and created the better chances. Other than the goal, Ashford didn't create alot although their forwards were a handful at times. They seemed content to sit back and soak up the pressure and eventually we broke through them.

A decent 3 points and also a decent crowd of 334. Not bad for a Tuesday night with Champions League footie on the TV.

It was a decent crowd considering Ashford Town (Middx) brought about 5..!

It was a very scrappy game first half which meant we struggled to get going..

2nd half we started to move the ball around with alot more pace which meant that Rowe and Curran had much improved service..

Gab was excellent and Ben Patten didn't lose a header all night.

Roll on Saturday!!

Gabs was awesome last night, when he runs at defences like he did last night he scares them to death, quality.

A word about their keeper, he ran into Chris Moore, fell over and rolled around a bit when he realised he wasn't going to get the free kick. We then had the ball given back to James Russell after we were in a very good attacking area after the referee decided to stop play, this really frustrates me but when we get a genuine injury to James Rowe, the keeper plays on and the ref only stops play when Russell has the ball in his hands. Cheat springs to mind, what does anyone else think?

Originally Posted By: The Gaffer from the Rock
A word about their keeper, he ran into Chris Moore, fell over and rolled around a bit when he realised he wasn't going to get the free kick. We then had the ball given back to James Russell after we were in a very good attacking area after the referee decided to stop play, this really frustrates me but when we get a genuine injury to James Rowe, the keeper plays on and the ref only stops play when Russell has the ball in his hands. Cheat springs to mind, what does anyone else think?

It was f**king awful! But like I said, Ashford had come set on the 0-0 from the start. The whole incident with their Goalkeeper during the first-half was to slow the game down. Had we have been 1-1 or still even 1-0 down with only minutes to spare, you can bet they would've pulled every cheating trick out the bag to break down our momentum going forward. Snipers would've been everywhere aiming at their players.

The incident with Rowe was a shambles, he was even holding his face at first, which the Referee automatically has to stop the game for. The Assistant right in front of us, did nothing!