Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Replay Tuesday

Windsor_Sec

Hi,I have read the posts regarding football knowledge and would take issue with the comment about playing ability and knowing what you are talking about.

Some of the greatest football writers never played the game professionally. Would you ever ask Gazza to give his opinion about a game? His cv reads TOTTENHAM, RANGERS, LAZIO & ENGLAND and he was a terrific player, but as for living in the real world???. Also Arsene Wenger goes to hundreds of games and often misses things the rest of the crowd see.

The whole point is we go to games and see what we want to see.

I have to say I agree with you, a good player doesn't necessarily make a good manager.

I think that being a decent player does give you a good eye to read the game but you cannot write off the opinion of those who watch. I'd probably trust the opinion of someone who has watched the game week in week out for 30 years over someone who has played say 20 games at non-league senior level.

Doesn't mean that either of them won't have a valued input or opinion, but you can't write someone's thoughts off just because they haven't done it. I've never written an international finance policy but still I have an opinion on how the economy should be run.

On the theiry that WR has put forward, if Scotty came on and told him that Richardson was the best centre forward in non league football the he would have to believe him as he has played at the highest level at both non league and professional league football in this country.

as stated earlier it doesn't work that way, anyway we all have different opinions and that is a good thing, as it would be soooo boring if we all thought the same way

On the theiry that WR has put forward, if Scotty came on and told him that Richardson was the best centre forward in non league football the he would have to believe him as he has played at the highest level at both non league and professional league football in this country.

as stated earlier it doesn't work that way, anyway we all have different opinions and that is a good thing, as it would be soooo boring if we all thought the same way

Fair point Fuzzy Royal, but consider this scenario: you are watching Match of the Day one Saturday night and the panel consists of:

Lee Dixon (Arsenal and England)

Mark Lawrenson (Liverpool and EIRE)

Alan Hansen (Liverpool and Scotland)

Woody WEFC (Slough Boys Combination)

Windsorian (no experience at all)

Who would say the audience would rather listen to and believe?

Interesting idea but in asking 'who the audience would rather listen too and believe?' you are pitching 3 established media personalities against 2 people who are otherwise unknown (plus I don't know who posts as windsorian so I wouldn't comment on their football knowledge generally. Only discuss their view of a particular game or incident, but that's why we have forums to debate such things).

Also you are taking two extremes of the argument from top flight players to fans of local football. Unfortunately there isn't such a rigid structure in the hierarchy of football knowledge... Conference players don't necessarily understand football more or less than the players from the division above or below it depends on the individual surely?

Although I understand the principle you are getting at and to comment on your opinion of an individuals knowledge of the game is fair enough.

(was it Voltaire who said.. "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it").

But to make sweeping generalisations about it I think is wrong and does a disservice to many ardent fans with a lot of love and experience of watching football.

As usual WR posts when he knows nothing and what he does post is BS. You do not know what level i have played at or what football experience i have. I have no intention of discussing it with you as i prefer to be anonymous thats my choice. I will leave you to continue to believe i have none. BTW i don't think the people you have quoted know anymore than some of the people who post on here but that doesn't include you.

Windsorian just so you know when I said I don't know who you are was in no way meant to be a dig at you!

As you say "as i prefer to be anonymous thats my choice" you are quite right it is.

I was just making the point to WR that I wouldn't disregard someones opinion just because I don't know anything about them!

Joel no worries i knew it wasn't a dig at me and your posts make perfect sense,maintaining a non-judgemental stance unless you know the person and even then why some people have to be inpolite about it and come on forums stirring i'll never know,i have met a lot of people in my travels in football some have a lot of experience but sometimes dont talk the sense of someone else who has been watching or scouting the game for many years. The fact that many people have different takes on watching the same game shows that football is much more than the black and white views of some people.

Joel no worries i knew it wasn't a dig at me and your posts make perfect sense,maintaining a non-judgemental stance unless you know the person and even then why some people have to be inpolite about it and come on forums stirring i'll never know,i have met a lot of people in my travels in football some have a lot of experience but sometimes dont talk the sense of someone else who has been watching or scouting the game for many years. The fact that many people have different takes on watching the same game shows that football is much more than the black and white views of some people.

Windsorian: of course its your right at remain anonymous, the point i am trying to make is that of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, its just that opionion carries more weight from a person who has experienced more of the game, be it you, me, or someone else.

Another example, you would not like someone to tell you how to do your job, a job you have been doing well for years, just because

its their opinion. Let me know when the penny drops, or when WEFC get to Conference South, whichever is

sooner. Oh and the reason you wont discuss your football experience is BECAUSE YOU HAVENT GOT ANY.

As usual WR posts when he knows nothing and what he does post is BS. You do not know what level i have played at or what football experience i have. I have no intention of discussing it with you as i prefer to be anonymous thats my choice. I will leave you to continue to believe i have none. BTW i don't think the people you have quoted know anymore than some of the people who post on here but that doesn't include you.

BTW i don't think the people you have quoted know anymore than some of the people who post on here but that doesn't include you.

Maybe we should ask you to go on Match of the Day then Windsorian, and enlghten us with "your experience of football spanning years" LOL.

I am sure the viewers would be interested in your tales. I doubt the programme would last very long though.

I'll tell you one thing, Windsor Rebel, the last performance on TV as smug and obnoxious as yours here was by Nick Griffin. And if this is how you act everywhere, you're going to be about as welcome.

EDIT: and just in case you thought otherwise, that isn't supposed to be complimentary or approving.

This is just becoming personal, none of us know who knows the most about football or who played at the highest level or even who everyone is!! But if we can't be civil on this chatboard then maybe some of us should stop making inflamitory remarks and others reacting to it.

WR, you appear to be involved in a lot of heated debates, we love having as many people discussing on here, but constructively and with wit.

Sorry guys, just getting a bit bored of the same old same old, just waiting for crowd size to come in here somewhere and we can go full circle!!!

I think Woody WEFC the "water boy" of the Slough combination is the winner here.

Windsorian has to have some credit though as 40 years of getting away with supporting windsor is some standard, especially when you look at the photo in his avatar with the MK stadium full of windsor fans - what an atmospher that was.

This is just becoming personal, none of us know who knows the most about football or who played at the highest level or even who everyone is!! But if we can't be civil on this chatboard then maybe some of us should stop making inflamitory remarks and others reacting to it.

WR, you appear to be involved in a lot of heated debates, we love having as many people discussing on here, but constructively and with wit.

Sorry guys, just getting a bit bored of the same old same old, just waiting for crowd size to come in here somewhere and we can go full circle!!!

I have to say I agree .. its a real shame but there are quite a few people I've spoken to recently that say they read the forum but can't be bothered to post any more because they are bored of the same idiots coming on and saying the same thing time and time again.

I have to say I agree .. its a real shame but there are quite a few people I've spoken to recently that say they read the forum but can't be bothered to post any more because they are bored of the same idiots coming on and saying the same thing time and time again.

When you say idiots does that include Woody WEFC and Windsorian?

Now now Windsor rebel or should i say hellenic boy :smilewinkgrin:

Look if people are put off from posting because of anything i have posted then i can't believe they have anything useful to say. I'm really surprised people take it so seriously, nothing i have read on here has caused me to think i wouldn't want to post on the forum, nothing really malicious just a bit of banter and leg pulling i take anything directed at me with a pinch of salt. and that includes WR and SR. I really think people should lighten up and stop making excuses either post or don't but don't try and blame others for your lack of anything to say.