Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Rushden & Diamonds v. Billericay - Sat. 12th December

Rick the Dick

Admission prices & details etc.. now on R&D's official site:-

Rushden & Diamonds official site

'Ricay fans haven't had a lot to get excited about for the past season and a half. The clearest evidence of that is a crowd of 305 yesterday at NL.

We've earnt ourselves a cup-tie at a club that spent several seasons in the football league and, far from playing it down, as fans we should be shouting about it from the roof-tops; encouraging some of those stay away supporters to come along and generally using it as a springboard to try and motivate the good towns-folk of 'ricay to get behind there local club, again.

I can't believe there's posts on this MB suggesting we should put it out of our minds and concentrate on the immidiate job in hand. That may be true for the players and management, but supporters? No way.

Tell your mates, tell your work coleagues, tell your relatives, tell your Mum.

Talk about it, write about it, sing about it.

A don't let anyone tell you that you should be worrying about Tonbridge first.

Others are paid to worry about Tonbridge. As fans, if you want to get excited about Rushden... JUST DO IT!

I can't believe there's posts on this MB suggesting we should put it out of our minds and concentrate on the immidiate job in hand. That may be true for the players and management, but supporters? No way.

I take it this was leveled at moi? If not and it was at a few, for reference, I will refer to the defendant as "We".

So you would put your efforts into one game such as this as a "season defining" game and sod the rest of the season? (am I putting words into your mouth Rick?). I totally agree that we should celebrate this game and certainly should go about with heads held high, chest puffed out and tell the world and encourage our supporters to come and support the club...but for one game? How about the others? And whereas you critisize the "nameless person" for giving focus to what may just as important, some who keep our feet on the ground have you rung the local press to promote the travel for not just the Rushden game but ALL our coach travel, sent e mails out to people, stand in the cold and rain next Wednesday and generally drum up support for the club, again NOT just for this one game but for the WHOLE season?

Okay, so you're not party to some or most of the information "we" have and you are not party to how "we" go about things (which isn't perfect but we do put in a lot of work and effort) but "we" also don't just look to one game to define our season. "We" are celebrating as much as you and other supporters are Rick and "We" are going about trying to drum up support for the club as much as you are...but not for just ONE game Rick. The cash from the Trophy and FA Cup competitions are improtant as is the "day out" for the supporters and the celebration of getting there (hopefully we can pull off a surprise) but in the longer term relegation would hurt this club a damn sight more than one Trophy game.

Sorry if this comes across a little bit harsh Rick but I get p*ssed off when someone (and I am surprised that it is you in this instance) gets critisized for voicing their opinion, when their opinion is just keeping people focused on the IMMEDIATE job in hand, which was beating Boreham Wood and obtaining our first home three points. There is nothing wrong in keeping your feet on the ground Rick and I am sure that those that are appartently upsetting your celebrations of getting to play Rushden are celebrating but maybe a little more quietly. I can assure you that they are working just as hard (maybe harder, if you can belive it) in getting our support up for the Rushden game as well as the for the whole season.

I take it this was leveled at moi? If not and it was at a few, for reference, I will refer to the defendant as "We".

Ermmm... nope!

It was aimed at anyone who is the teensiest bit excited by the prospect of going to R&D.

It was meant as a counterweight to you old lags, who've seen it, done it, got the T-Shirt, been there before & preacxh the "keep your feet on the ground" mantra.

Why? What's wrong with some excited anticipation? Frightened to end up with egg on the face when it go's Tits Up? Well that don't cost nowt

Lets generate some buzz!!!

Doesn't matter if we have done it all, got the t-shirt, DVD and such like...we are excited but it's just another game in the season. It's great we're playing Rushden but, as I said Rick and from what the "limited" response" to our win yesterday, the league is our "bread and butter".

Excuse me? Frightened of what? There isn't anything wrong with anticipation but our season isn't defined by one game...of course, if our players played yesterday as if they thought the same you'll be a tad upset...so, lets take each game as it comes.

And errrr....we are generating a buzz Rick or at least we are trying to by going through other channels other than sitting in doors and writing stuff on this forum... You don't encourage people to come down to the club by sitting on your [****!!****] posting messages on this forum. Ya have to go out and get 'em...Like to join us Rick? Wednesday evening, down the High Street. Everyone will be welcome and the more we get there the better we can show people that the club is very much alive...

In my view the game against Tonbridge is many times more important than the Rushden game.

The reason the gate is down from 430 to 310 is because we're (second) bottom of the league, not I suspect because we've had a decent Trophy run. We need to get the gate back up by winning some league games because imo the current situation poses a real risk to where we want (need?) to be as a Club.

Rushden will be a good day out, it's a fantastic ground for non-league level - sure let's enjoy it.... But I'm sure the Club Blazers would be much more impressed if you got Aunty Dot and all your mates down to New Lodge on Boxing Day (our ONLY scheduled home game in December!!) paying our admission and drinking in our bar. A Boxing Day Derby against Canvey is a much better opportunity to try and re-invigorate some of our support than an away match in Northamtonshire.

Come on you Blues - BTW can we confirm the ko time on Boxing Day at all please?

Jeez... re-read my posting folks.

Nowhere does it critiscise anyones efforts at promoting the club.

Nowhere does it critiscise anyones efforts at promoting any particular game.

What it does do, soley in the context of this message board, is offer an alternative view-point to that posted by two or three contributors about the significance of the Trophy tie at Rushden & Diamonds.

I am right in this respect, and you are all wrong (I am also very modest and not at all arrogant). R&D in the Trophy is a positive news story. There haven't been many lately. To suggest that we should "forget Rushden for a while" (TC), "Forget Rushden for the time being" (Ryan) and "focus on what is immidiately in front of us" (Gazza) is, I believe, missing a trick. Whilst that attitude is required from Management and players I csnnot see any benefit from putting a dampner on any enthusiasm for the tie amongst the fans.

Anything that re-kindles interest should be embraced and encouraged. I cannot see any benefit that comes from the three comments I've quoted above and still cannot understand why they were made. I note that no one has yet explained why they were necessary.

Good luck up the High Street Gazza. I wont be joining you, nor am I ever likely to. Think of me as a more persistant member of the 400 odd missing supporters needed to get up to TC's target of 700. Maybe then you'll take more time to think about what I'm saying than jump to the conclusion that it's a personal attack.

The only good thing about this dialogue is that it keeps this thread at the top of the board.

That is all.

Our league situation is of the most concern at the moment, and the quotes you've mentioned above are just highlighting that fact. I don't think anyone is putting a dampner on the R&D game and I can't see how those comments would. I don't disagree with the sentiment of what you're saying, and we should rightly enjoy/milk the moment, but the league and staying in this league is far more important, surely?

Rick, re reading my comments, they come over as harsh but I still stick to their sentiment, that the Rushden game is a stand alone game that, although should be looked forward to and enjoyed is just that...one game, which we all will look back on with fondess and pride that our players have a) got us there and B) given a good account of themselves (hopefully). And you never know, football is a funny old game, we may, against all odds get something out of it. I certainly am hoping that we will..

...but that doesn't take away that our league games outweigh the Rushden game in importance (as has been said here).

Of course you are right, the Rushden game is a bit of positive news which we should (and are) milking but the paying public are not stupid Rick, they can read league tables and I am sure our support will be nore sustainable if we took care of our league games. One game does not make a season and what would be the point of making it so? We need to focus on all games as they come.

Now...Aveley tonight. Who is going to be there if the game is on? The players require our support in all competitions and the Essex Senior Cup is a tidy competition which is worth winning in my opinion as we do have a good record in this one.

PS - I never took them as a personal attack Rick - I do know you better. If my comments come over as such, then I apologise. I understand where you are coming from ans well as your arguement but us "old lags" are excited about the Rushden game but we're also worried about our league position...

Personally, i look forward to "any" Town game (that I can get to)...To me in no particular order it is all about 1) getting out 2) watching football 3) seeing yer mates 4) having a laugh on the terraces (and yes, even laughs are had when we are losing)

Ok, so what am i driving at ? (and yes many wonder that on the terraces too) :biglaugh:

I came back to supporting the blues around 12/13 years ago, and at first i came on my own...I actually think it was the FA Cup game against that lot from cambridgeshire when we lost 3-2 at home...I loved the atmosphere, and the fact you could see things really close up etc etc...So i came again, and again etc etc...From those early roots friends were made - So i can see Ricks point about telling everyone about R&D cos even if just one extra chap/chappess comes along again then it is another fan.

However, the league (this season more than any for many a year) is just as important and in terms of importance to us as a club is vital...

But i do think Rick does have a point about getting excited for err Rushden and Diamonds....I am !

At the end of the day, we are ALL Town fans so let's enjoy ALL the games.

P.S. Gazz...Loved hearing The Big Area Saturday ! Good choice.

I think we're all aware that, in the greater scheme of things, Tonbridge Saturday is far more important from a footballing point of view than the R&D game.

But those who are not attending at the moment will not find "'ricay have a vital league game at Tonbridge Saturday" as appealing as "'ricay have an FA Trophy tie at ex Football League club Rushden & Diamonds on the 12th December". It maybe wrong, but that's the way it is. So the R&D game is important from a PR point of view, and I'm sure that fact hasn't escaped those of you who put in the hard work to print posters & publicise the games etc..

My only purpose in my "controversial" posting was to encourage any fans who wanted to discuss the R&D game on here. I believe a bit of "buzz" on the web is usefull and I felt that the caution expressed by TC, Ryan & Gazza may have the effect of making some think twice about discussing it.

It was meant to be positive.

I'm sorry it has lead to a somewhat negative thread.

Certainly not a negative thread imo -

All football clubs have "certain" games where there is going to be an added interest...Lets face it...Do you think many Kettering fans are discussing their league games presently !

I think these sort of games produce excitement to the fan simply because they do not come around that often.

Yes, the league is (more important) than just this one game...But - HELL YeahhHHH - We can still ALL look forward to this one too.

Now...Aveley tonight. Who is going to be there if the game is on? The players require our support in all competitions and the Essex Senior Cup is a tidy competition which is worth winning in my opinion as we do have a good record in this one.

I'm there. I can't wait.

Any news as to a pitch inspection?

:255:

For what it's worth i agree Rick & Keith Hell Yaaaaaa the R&D game is for me the biggest game since Swansea or maybe as nerve wrenching as the Chelmo penalty shoot out. :yay:

I also agree with the other posters that the league is and always should be a priority.

What going up the High Street on Wednesday has to do with that and indeed this thread i don't know. :511: (See you up there guys)

I'm sure i'm not alone in agreeing that all of the club staff & volunteers do an excellent job and we mere supporters are forever grateful. :signthankspin:

Some of the paying public / supporters also lend a hand as and when asked and if available.

Getting back to the Thread Title.

Games like this bring in money to the club and I'm sure like all clubs we could do with it.

But for me Rick am quite excited about this game but then i get excited about what songs Gazza plays at half time.

I couldn't have made tonights game (now postponed) nor the Falling Angels game on Saturday. But i will look forward to the results as they come in. :chat:

Thanks for posting this thread Rick. :applaus:

I think we're all aware that, in the greater scheme of things, Tonbridge Saturday is far more important from a footballing point of view than the R&D game.

But those who are not attending at the moment will not find "'ricay have a vital league game at Tonbridge Saturday" as appealing as "'ricay have an FA Trophy tie at ex Football League club Rushden & Diamonds on the 12th December". It maybe wrong, but that's the way it is. So the R&D game is important from a PR point of view, and I'm sure that fact hasn't escaped those of you who put in the hard work to print posters & publicise the games etc..

My only purpose in my "controversial" posting was to encourage any fans who wanted to discuss the R&D game on here. I believe a bit of "buzz" on the web is usefull and I felt that the caution expressed by TC, Ryan & Gazza may have the effect of making some think twice about discussing it.

It was meant to be positive.

I'm sorry it has lead to a somewhat negative thread.

I don't quite get that between me, Gazza and TC, 3 individual comments, that we have discouraged any euphoria on the Rushden game on this very messageboard. If you or anyone else wants to celebrate the Rushden game, then go ahead, I've got NO problem with that. Personally, the league game is more important and I'll enjoy the Rushden game more if we get 3 points at Tonbridge. I'd be a lot happier if the predicted 250/300 going to R&D all turned up at Tonbridge instead of the meagre 50 that will probably bother. I hope I haven't spoilt anyone's day with such negativity!!

I'd be a lot happier if the predicted 250/300 going to R&D all turned up at Tonbridge instead of the meagre 50 that will probably bother.

Well that is it exactly...and underlines my point. This isn't a one game season and the club needs the support of all or if not the majority of those people who pledge their support for Rushden....My call to the Billericay Gazette and follow up e mail stressed the point that we want people to support as many away games as they can and not just the Rushden game.

I dare say we'll get maybe a little more than 50 for Tonbridge but our travelling support will increase for the Rushden game...which hopefully will be a good advert for the club and hopefully increase our gate and travelling support afterwards...

Funny, I haven't had any follow up from the Gazette since my flurry of trying to get them interested. I will try again tomorrow but I fear I'd have better luck whistling in the wind.

I don't quite get that between me, Gazza and TC, 3 individual comments, that we have discouraged any euphoria on the Rushden game...

You obviously underestimate the esteem in which you three gentleman are held :smilewinkgrin:

Right... that's enough self analysis and navel gazing.

How many are going to Irthlingborough? :316: