Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Best Ever Windsor Team

Windsor Rebel

The team of the early 80's, including say Mitchell, Mitchell, Edwards, King, Smith, JR, Chappell, Hill, McCulloch, Yates & Butler was my favourite to watch, superb football, very successful and even conference clubs didn't want to play us as we were deadly. A much underrated side in the non league fraternity that if they played now how they played then would get an awful lot of coverage and praise. But that was a different era.

That would have been my favourite team, but a favouorite 11 would be much harder to pick out, but would almost certainly contain Yates, possibly Smith and Kevin Mitchell and possibly even Butler. Must have a think........

In my time watching Windsor regularly, so back to 1987, I would go with: GK - Kevin Mitchell, RB - Stewart Mitchell, LB - Derek Walters, CB - Mark Woods, CB - Michael Barnes, RM - Shaun Dyke, CM - Dave Carroll, CM - Byron Walton, LM - Mark Franks, CF - Richard Evans, CF - Michael Chennells Subs: GK - Trevor Bunting, CB - Ian Richards, CM - Matt Seedel, CF - Dennis Greene, CF - Shaun Gilman.

That was definitely a tough challenge, would be interested in seeing people's picks for central midfield (apart from Dave Carroll) from my time watching Windsor. Dennis would have been in my starting eleven if he'd been at Windsor earlier in his career, we only saw the backend of his career, which made me give the nod to Chenns.

Pre- 1980's but Vic Woodley has to be in there. Made 19 caps in a row for England between the sticks and toured Nazi Germany in 1938 so perhaps one of the most infamous ex-windsor players too! Possible that he'd of played more games for England but a small matter of a war got inbetween that! Won the FA Cup with Derby County aswell!

As my first game was in 1994 ( Boxing day 4-0 vs Egham!) I cant really comment on best players ever. Perhaps the Chicken run massive if they are reading could depart their wisdom

Okay, here goes - Kevin Mitchell, just because!! RB Stuart Mitchell CB Mark Woods CB Colin Smith LB Del Walters RW Shaun Dyke LW Frilly CM Mark Biggins CM Dave Carroll CF Chris Yates CF Steve Butler Subs GK Bully; Fagan (he could even replace Stuart Mitchell at RB tough call that one; Geoff Chappell; Richard Evans & Shaun Gilman.

really tough as a team of players you leave out could look almost as good. I think once you pick a team some bleeder always mentions a player you forgot as well LOL!!!!!

Have been going since mid 80's so will pick 11 from the players I've seen play with my own eyes.

Its difficult to compare playes though as in the 80's we were at step 2, in the 90's we spent most of the time at steps 4 & 5 and this decade we've been mainly at step4.

Anyway here goes....

GK, Kevin Mitchell

RB, Stuart Mitchell

CB, Mark Woods

CB, Jason Cousins

LB, Derek Walters

LW, Mark Franks

CM, Dave Carroll

CM, Soloman Taiwo (that lad could play)

RM, Sean Dyke

CF, Mickey Banton

CF, Dave Regis

really tough as a team of players you leave out could look almost as good. I think once you pick a team some bleeder always mentions a player you forgot as well LOL!!!!!

You mean like Trevor Baron, Dave Regis, Dicky Briggs, Alan Wills, Gary Phillips, etc, etc, LOL.

I couldn't pick a first choice XI simply because there's probably about 3 or 4 players for each position over the last 30 years alone.

Mind you, with Christmas in mind, I bet you could all pick a team of Turkeys that have worn the red & green?

I'll start with the goalie for the WEFC Turkey XI

1. TREVOR ROCKETT [The only man I know who can fall down a Rabbit hole whilst taking a goal-kick]

Turkey FC has to include Paulo Cireco, who played for bracknell on saturday, he was so bad in that league cup game he played last season that even the other sides fans were shouting "he's rubbish get him off!" Was amazed to see him turn out to play at his level again!

But star of the Turkey XI has to be Mal! His performance at CB Hounslow was something i'll never forget. When he got injured nobody came on to treat him as he was the physio!! Video footage of that knocking about! With Chenns, Smith, Rico, Vic and Willaims leading the line this season we've got all types of striker!

Turkey FC has to include Paulo Cireco, who played for bracknell on saturday, he was so bad in that league cup game he played last season that even the other sides fans were shouting "he's rubbish get him off!" Was amazed to see him turn out to play at his level again!

But star of the Turkey XI has to be Mal! His performance at CB Hounslow was something i'll never forget. When he got injured nobody came on to treat him as he was the physio!! Video footage of that knocking about! With Chenns, Smith, Rico, Vic and Willaims leading the line this season we've got all types of striker!

What is your best eleven Woody?

Only been coming week in week out since late 2003 so i'll base it on that

Goalkeeper- Bully

Left Back- Ryan ( pretty much been the only one apart from Vargas!)

Right- Fagan. Simply awesome their and i still think it's his best postion even though he's a great center back

Center- Jason Cousins and Lee Kersley

Left Mid- Just to fit him in a 4-4-2 Victor Osubo! Thought he did fantastic at hungerford for the 30 odd mins he had! ;)

Right Mid- Jake Parsons/Terry O'Connor both players on their day are fantastic at this level

Center would be Coyne if he had the right attuide in some games so it has to be Gomis and Carroll ( even though Jesus was on his last legs he still had a touch of class about him)

Strikers- Chenns and Scotty. Scott is certainly the sort of striker i think every side needs and his record speaks for itself may not of got many goals but let did all the donkey work to allow the side to get goals! After he got injured our title race fell apart!

Some good players missed out like Craig O'Connor', Brady ( dont think i ever saw the best of him) Taiwo who wasnt here long enough to get in but would of been if he had a full season,

Tough choices though! Dont evny people who've been watching longer than i've been alive to decide! If this side sticks together for longer i'm sure a few more of them will break into that side.

Good points there Woody, two players I forgot about Morgaro Gomis, who of course is now playing at Dundee United and Matt Brady was breathtaking on his day. Wouldn't put either of them ahead of what I had in my first eleven, but would def be on the bench.

It is an impossible task. As you say many of the players we have now have not played at the same level as some of the 80's players, but is the standard at level higher than say at level 3, 20 years ago?

We had a lot of very good players, but not all at their prime. Simon Garner would arguably be the best player we had at Stag Meadow, but we got him in his twighlight years. The same would go for Scotty, in his prime ahead of many of our strikers but when we had him, not as good as say Yates or Gilman or Regis or Butler.

Other truly talented players such as Dodds or Chalkey White again had already had their great moments and were merely "retiring" to Windsor, and bordered on comedy at times.

I think a few of us have put knocker in our teams, I know Geggy did, maybe just for that goal against Merthyr!!

Lots of great players, great memories and who knows, in today's climate we may have made some serious money form the sale of a few of those players.

just wonder if any old players read this and have any comments on who they thought were truly great, but not themselves!!!!

And just to add him in, what a player Steve Playle was, I know cos he told me!!!

In my early days my grandfather would take me up the road to see WEFC.

They had a number 11 by the name of Bristow, Eric i think, that was the first guy I ever saw score from a corner kick (more than once @ Stag Meadow) this guy has to be in the best ever team to play for Windsor???

I've not been watching so much longer than Woody (only lived in Windsor from 97 onwards & didn't start watching until ~99-00 season), so my picks would hardly contain many surprises.

And assuming everyone's fit and at their peak, I'd back these guys to outscore most opposition at this level... so lining up in a 3-5-2.

GK - Bunting, has the edge over Bully mainly because I've seen him under far more pressure than Rob's ever had to face!

LB - Ryan

RB - Fagan

CB - Cousins

RW - Dyke (but give him his cubicle in the own dressing room)

LW - Brady

CM - Seedel, Carroll, Gomis

CF - Chennels, C O'Connor

Subs: Bullivant; Kersey; T O'Connor (our ultimate utility player); Adams; Hill.

Any best-of-WEFC team for me has to include Gordon, if only as supersub. OK, maybe his skill was not among the absolute first rank but his heart and soul surely were. Otherwise I suppose I'd play Scotty, or Greene, but I never really saw him at his best.

Jake & Victor are very close behind, mind... Jake might shade out Shaggy, but with Dykey on the wing he wouldn't have any obvious niche.

• 3 weeks later...

It is an impossible task. As you say many of the players we have now have not played at the same level as some of the 80's players, but is the standard at level higher than say at level 3, 20 years ago?

We had a lot of very good players, but not all at their prime. Simon Garner would arguably be the best player we had at Stag Meadow, but we got him in his twighlight years. The same would go for Scotty, in his prime ahead of many of our strikers but when we had him, not as good as say Yates or Gilman or Regis or Butler.

Other truly talented players such as Dodds or Chalkey White again had already had their great moments and were merely "retiring" to Windsor, and bordered on comedy at times.

I think a few of us have put knocker in our teams, I know Geggy did, maybe just for that goal against Merthyr!!

Lots of great players, great memories and who knows, in today's climate we may have made some serious money form the sale of a few of those players.

just wonder if any old players read this and have any comments on who they thought were truly great, but not themselves!!!!

And just to add him in, what a player Steve Playle was