Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Best Ever Windsor Team

Windsor Rebel

It is an impossible task. As you say many of the players we have now have not played at the same level as some of the 80's players, but is the standard at level higher than say at level 3, 20 years ago?

We had a lot of very good players, but not all at their prime. Simon Garner would arguably be the best player we had at Stag Meadow, but we got him in his twighlight years. The same would go for Scotty, in his prime ahead of many of our strikers but when we had him, not as good as say Yates or Gilman or Regis or Butler.

Other truly talented players such as Dodds or Chalkey White again had already had their great moments and were merely "retiring" to Windsor, and bordered on comedy at times.

I think a few of us have put knocker in our teams, I know Geggy did, maybe just for that goal against Merthyr!!

Lots of great players, great memories and who knows, in today's climate we may have made some serious money form the sale of a few of those players.

just wonder if any old players read this and have any comments on who they thought were truly great, but not themselves!!!!

And just to add him in, what a player Steve Playle was

.quote]

I've not been watching so much longer than Woody (only lived in Windsor from 97 onwards & didn't start watching until ~99-00 season), so my picks would hardly contain many surprises.

And assuming everyone's fit and at their peak, I'd back these guys to outscore most opposition at this level... so lining up in a 3-5-2.

GK - Bunting, has the edge over Bully mainly because I've seen him under far more pressure than Rob's ever had to face!

LB - Ryan

RB - Fagan

CB - Cousins

RW - Dyke (but give him his cubicle in the own dressing room)

LW - Brady

CM - Seedel, Carroll, Gomis

CF - Chennels, C O'Connor

Subs: Bullivant; Kersey; T O'Connor (our ultimate utility player); Adams; Hill.

Any best-of-WEFC team for me has to include Gordon, if only as supersub. OK, maybe his skill was not among the absolute first rank but his heart and soul surely were. Otherwise I suppose I'd play Scotty, or Greene, but I never really saw him at his best.

Jake & Victor are very close behind, mind... Jake might shade out Shaggy, but with Dykey on the wing he wouldn't have any obvious niche.

I think that after the matches since then, I'd have to put Dyke on the bench (losing Shaggy, sadly) and Jake on the RW. His performances over the last month have been really superb. And of course we no longer have such an, um, clashing personalities issue.

Incidentally, to those who might say there are too many current players and the recent is overweighted: have Windsor (at whatever level) ever shown a sustained league performance to match this season?

Incidentally, to those who might say there are too many current players and the recent is overweighted: have Windsor (at whatever level) ever shown a sustained league performance to match this season?

as a fan of the 80's era teams i would say the success they enjoyed will take some matching, players such as Yates took Windsor from the Athenian to the Premier (Conf South in new money) winning titles, cups and getting to through to the 1st round proper regularly. This is why my team includes so many of that era players such as Yates, Biggins, Frilly, Colin Smith and really Trevor Baron (who I missed out but would be in there).

I don't think they went this long without a defeat but they were consistently successful and proved that at every level they played at (even leading the Premier for 11 consecutive weeks).

I would say that makes them as successful, if not more , than the current batch. I just hope the current batch push on and prove they are as good as the dream teams of teh 80's and we are singin their praises in another 20-30 years!!

What about the great Lance Cadogan?

His languid, some might even say morose, playing style belied a deadly predator.

In front of goal he had the singlemindedness of a shark, stalking a gang of tunas.

He was an eagle, soaring clear of a dawn distilling of emerald, patiently awaiting his one shot at the vole.

Thing is though, how does a shark get the tin open?.........arcadefreak.gif

It is an impossible task. As you say many of the players we have now have not played at the same level as some of the 80's players, but is the standard at level higher than say at level 3, 20 years ago?

We had a lot of very good players, but not all at their prime. Simon Garner would arguably be the best player we had at Stag Meadow, but we got him in his twighlight years. The same would go for Scotty, in his prime ahead of many of our strikers but when we had him, not as good as say Yates or Gilman or Regis or Butler.

Other truly talented players such as Dodds or Chalkey White again had already had their great moments and were merely "retiring" to Windsor, and bordered on comedy at times.

I think a few of us have put knocker in our teams, I know Geggy did, maybe just for that goal against Merthyr!!

Lots of great players, great memories and who knows, in today's climate we may have made some serious money form the sale of a few of those players.

just wonder if any old players read this and have any comments on who they thought were truly great, but not themselves!!!!

And just to add him in, what a player Steve Playle was

Hi Regarding your question about old players. I played at Windsor from 1963-1966. Spital Rover mentioned Bristow(his name was Chris). On his day he was quite brilliant. He had been on Spurs books but was a very moody player. If things did not go right his head would drop and he would vanish from the game. No subs in those days!!!

Other good players that spring to mind are John Millbanks (centre half) Ray Mortimer (defender) and there was an Irish/Scots inside forward Gerry ? who scored the goal in the B& B Cup Final against Wycombe at Reading. He did sign for a pro club in Scotland after that. Going back even further I can remember watching Joe Griffiths in the 1940's. Windsor were in the Corinthian LEAGUE in those days when the crowd for a game against Slough was in the thousands.

whilst on the subject of past windsor players does anyone know if Gary Woodcraft is still around? I completed my decorating apprentiship with Gary in the late seventies

Mgoss.

Good to here about the Windsor history at that time.

Do you have an literature from those times because I would really like to take a look at it if so.

Also I am sure Geggy would like to hear stories from you kind of being the clubs historian and all that.

If not please add more historic words from Windsor from these era'sas I haven't seen anything so interesting written on this board in ages well...Apart from some of the areguments :cheesy (2):

H.

Goalkeeper- Bunting

Left Back- Ryan Parsons

Right- Fagan

Center- Skerritt and Mark Moore

Left Mid- Marks Franks with his step over!

Right Mid- Sean Dyke

Center - Dave Carrol and Mark Davis

Strikers- Yates and Gilman. Blimey! Thats sounds scary!

M.GOSS FYI

The inside forward was Gerry O’Rouke

Chis Bristow got both the goals in the final B&B Cup Final against Wycombe.

Mickey Goss – Goalkeeper? 1963-1966 along with Roy White?

H.

Mark Davis was a centre forward surely!! From what I remember he was very much a Ross McCulloch mould, knicknamed wooden top for his willingness to put his head in anywhere. Didn't realise you were there when Mark Davis was, thought he might have been before your time?

I also remember along with Lance Cadogan a short lived (at Windsor, not syaing he died!!) but talented player called Iain Allain (probably misspelt). And the slowest winger ever in Malcolm Swain.

Great to hear from an ex player and his memories, nice to know they still keep an eye on the old club and clearly must have enjoyed their time there.

Shame there are no videos or footage of the team of the early 80's, would love to knwo if they looked as good as i remembered, or maybe not......

Fuzzy,

I just remember Mark Davis he was one of the first players I remember as a supporter. I remember he was a bit of a nutter and like you said gets stuck in. Couldn't remember what position he was but wanted him in the team. So I put him there call me the tinker man lol.

I went to my first game when I was 5 years old and I did my full first season a 16 so I have covered a few years in my time as a Windsor supporter.

I remember when you ran the turnstiles with your brother and I use to hang around and chat blimey! that was a few years ago and we have see a few fans come and go since then but we have stayed and watched a lot of ups and downs since then.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has any footage of the team on DVD, CD, or Video, Maybe we could get a collection together and cut it into a piece of memorbilia so people to get a bit more history.

If anyone does please let me know. I for one would be interested.

I've only been coming down for a year so can't contribute to the thread but my eyes pricked up a bit at the mention of Malcolm Swain - he played a season at Reading in the early 70s, scoring a couple of goals from 40+ appearances.

Swain featured in a recent "Hall of Shame" thread on the RFC messageboard - he received several nominations for inclusion in the worst ever 11. One guy made the following comment:

I went to school with him (Charters, Ascot) & I always remember him wearing short trousers right through to the 3rd Year - this must have hardened him to all the abuse that he received on (and off) the pitch.

Fuzzy, it's a bit of a jump from Iain Allain, but might it have been Andy Alleyne? Also at Reading in the early 70s, he was the first black player to play for the club - didn't quite make it but he played 50+ games with a couple of goals. I just have a vague memory that he might have spent a while at Windsor...??

(Hmm, can eyes prick up?)

Rother, definitely Iain (I think that is the correct spelling) but as he was a very talented player and also black maybe they were related. i think you may have the correct spelling in Alleyne there as well.

Don't remember Andy but then I would only have been in single figures then so quite possible he did play for us. I suppose with only 11 starters and 1 sub in those days players were either in the team or not, no real squad players as such and therefore you would more likely recognise a name. (If you see what I mean).

We also had the legend Gerry Williams play for us, another Reading hero I believe, top player and classy too.

Humpty, i did have a video the entire Windsor v Enfield game (think we lost 3-1) and the woking FA Cup game from Match of the Day (or mid week sports special possibly) the classic line of "windsor didn't capitulate easily" before Del Walters got done and we lost. Funniest bit is when we scored and what looks like about 20 fans in a sea of thousands of Woking fans go mental.......and no trouble whatsoever. There was another video but I forget what it was. i fear I may have lost my videos in my various house moves over the years but a DVD with moments from our past would suurely be a great seller in the club shop. There must be a fair bit of random action about, surely?!?!?

Goalkeeper- Bunting

Left Back- Ryan Parsons

Right- Fagan

Center- Skerritt and Mark Moore

Left Mid- Marks Franks with his step over!

Right Mid- Sean Dyke

Center - Dave Carrol and Mark Davis

Strikers- Yates and Gilman. Blimey! Thats sounds scary!

M.GOSS FYI

The inside forward was Gerry O’Rouke

Chis Bristow got both the goals in the final B&B Cup Final against Wycombe.

Mickey Goss – Goalkeeper? 1963-1966 along with Roy White?

H.

Yes that is me, I followed Roy into the first team. I have already done a piece for Geggy a couple of years back and did send him my Athenian League Cup Winning medal.I may have some old programmes somewhere(my mother who still lives in Windsor and is 98 did a family scrapbook and I think there are pictures etc in it)

I am living in Canada and for those of you complaining about the cold over there, it was minus 23 degrees C yesterday. You do have more snow than us at the moment although three days ago a town 30 miles away had 80 cm in two days.

I was at Stag Meadow for the Newport cup tie a couple of years ago and although the pitch seemed a lot better than in my day little else seemed to have changed.

Whille going down memory lane, I will always remember my first game for the reserves. I went down in the area at the entrance end and badly cut my knee. The trainer came on and bandaged me up. After the game he dressed the injury and told me that I'd be ok in a couple of days. I woke up in the night and could feel the leg throbbing. I ended up in King Edward hospital with severe blood poisoning and the doctor told me it could have been very serious. The trainer had just coated the wound with vaseline and that had kept the dirt in the leg. The trainer was George Grant and he was the Cemetry Suprintendent. To this day I wonder if he was touting for business???

I read the forum most days and I'm really pleased that you are having such a great season.

Love this forum and although I do not post much, some topics really interest me.

ONE POINT THAT INTRIGUES ME IS HOW MANY OF THE 1ST TEAM ARE LOCAL LADS?

This was a general complaint in my time that with so much talent in the area very few played for Windsor

ONE POINT THAT INTRIGUES ME IS HOW MANY OF THE 1ST TEAM ARE LOCAL LADS?

This was a general complaint in my time that with so much talent in the area very few played for Windsor

Depends what you mean by local.

If you are talking purely players from Windsor then there is no one that I can think of, but if you are talking within say 10-15 miles then I would say about 10.

mgoss mentioned the late Joe Griffiths a no nonsence forward who played in the late 30's with my late father Edgar Woodford along side a local guy called Stevie Mills who I believe is still living in Windsor they won the B+B Cup on at least two occassions and as a youngster I loved listening to their escapades. I know both my father and Stevie MIlls left Windsor to join Maidenhead sometime probably during the War time. My father also left Maidenhead for Slough during the 50's for who I played a dozen or so games in the 60's

Superb forum with great content keep it up.

bloody hell this is tough... My first game was vs Red Star Belgrade in the late 70's

The Bournemouth cup team was special.....I see Man Utd lost their first match in the 3rd round since they lost to Bournemouth in 1984.

The teams that played Red Star Belgrade, Wimbledon, Brentford, Torquay Utd wer all special

The Berks and Buck winning sides

Kev Mitchell

Stewart Mitchell

Trevor Baron

Mark Woods

Franny Araguez

Dave Lansley

Ginger Butler

Knocker Richards

Frilly Franks

Chris Yates - So good Chopper Harris broke his leg in the Brentford cup match

Rowan Dodds and the rest of the 3 degrees !!

Dave Barnett

Soloman Taiwo - Cardiff City's finest??

Jake Parsons

Michael Chennells

So much to choose from!

Hi Guy's

I like this topic, always controversial...lol. Hard to pick an 11 but players that I admired are :-

Kevin Mitchell

Michael Barnes

Del Walters

Richard Evans

Gordon Hill

What has been the best goals you've seen scored for Windsor??