Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Best Ever Windsor Team

Windsor Rebel

Paul Coyne's goal from far out towards the town end against Slough last season.

For 3 reasons;

1. It was simply a great strike!

2. It was scored in the best game I've ever been to!

3. It was against Slough!!!

Agree with all 3 points there! However shouts out to Gomis's goal against Staines, Willo's goal in pre-season vs QPR and The goal from a corner by dave carroll at lewes that lead to the 'charge' down the grassbank thats gone down in fokelore!

Woodys Gomis goal is a great shout but also Shaun Dyke against Aylesbury... curled in to the top corner

Although I remember a Keith Scott header from just outside the area that looped in, no keeper in the world would have got to it. Can't remember who it was against though... Will ask micky on sat lol

In all my years watching Coynes strike against Slough is definitely up there, superbly hit and a beautiful goal to behold. For the more, err, experienced fan for want of a kinder word John Mitchell (an excellent rampaging right back) used to shoot regularly from 20-30 yards and hit the target more often than not. He scored a fair few scorchers. But if you take favourite goals Trevor Baron's goal against Burton Albion to take us through to the second round proper of the FA Cup in 1984 (with Bournemouth in the next round) was a beautiful thing. He was getting a lot of abuse, you work out why, and he got clean thorugh and nutmeggged the keeper to send the travelling hundreds (yes hundreds plural!!) into hysteria and the Burton thousands into hissy fits lobbing breeze blocks over the top of our police barracade. Superb!!

Also Mark woods goal in teh FA Cup when he beat every player on the opponent team, twice!! before slotting the ball into the net and running into us lot, awesome!!!

although to be fair the third goal (Ithink) against Bracknell, the Chenns scored when we broke from defence, crisp sharp passsing destroying (an admittedly poor) defence before sliding the ball into Chenns for a simple finish. Very Arsenal at their best and clinicallly perfect.

Sorry to stray from the main topic but I have a question for mgoss

Were you the keeper that sometimes played on the left wing?

I remember someone in the White / Mortimer era that did??

Like most goalkeepers, I always fancied myself as an outfield player. I played one game for Windsor at centre forward against Slough in a friendly at Stag Meadow. We won the game 3-1 and I scored. I played 4 times against Slough, and was never on the losing team.

I also played and captained Windsor Corinthians during the days that Peter Osgood played for us as a 13-14 year old. Some of the old Spital boys were in the team, Bobby and Tony Wolf, Mickey Ashley are names that I remember. I think I played in at least 6 or 7 different positions scored a lot of goals including taking most of the penalties.We played at the fields on the Maidenhead Road and Tony Pacitto was the manager.

... although to be fair the third goal (Ithink) against Bracknell, the Chenns scored when we broke from defence, crisp sharp passsing destroying (an admittedly poor) defence before sliding the ball into Chenns for a simple finish. Very Arsenal at their best and clinicallly perfect.

Agreed, that's the finest team goal I've seen, could have been a training ground demo.

I think my individual favourite was one of Chippy's specials, against Staines in an evening game: he sometimes used to wait near the left corner of the 18-yard box to intercept clearances when we got a corner, this came out near him at waist height and he swung on one foot and really hammered in the volley, absolutely gorgeous shot.

Of course, for 'nearly' goals there was that free kick from Dave Carroll; a long way out on the left wing, looped perfectly into the area, everyone leapt for it but it beat them all including the keeper and finished in the net...

a shame it was indirect.

(He had another later, almost a carbon copy, which I think was just saved)

And if Willo had scored at Didcot with that shot not far forward from the half-way line, on the right wing, that would surely be an all-time contender. How the keeper reached it I don't know, but IIRC the ground actually went quiet with awe for a moment before the applause cut in.

Funniest goal was against Hillingdon borough in, I believe, the league cup. Prob mid 80's I think. It was 1-1 with not long left and their keeper had the ball in his hands in the six yard box and noticed a defender free so went to throw it to him. Not sure if he got confused or had a moment of indecision but he failed to let go of the ball at the right time and threw it into his own net.

the funniest part was at full time as the Windsor players lined up and shook his hand as he left the pitch, from what i remember he took it in good spirit.

Could you imagine some of the keepers we come across taking that in good spirit, i fear not....

Bluebird mentioned Dodds and the 3 Degrees then has Dave Barnett in his list [who was one of them], Dave Regis was another but who can remember the remaining member of the 3 degrees - no prizes, just see how good the memories are?

And a question for Fuzzy - Hillingdon's manager at the time of the game you mentioned did a lot of whinging at the final whistle - can you remember who it was?

And finally, can anyone remember a forward we had around the Athenian/Isthmian changeover time - I think his name was Joel Clark and was a big Rastafarian with the obligatory Dreadlocks and defenders hated challenging him in the air as his hair would fly around almost taking an eye out, in fact I distinctly recall one referee who made him tie his hair back or he wouldn't let him continue to play as he deemed his hair to be dangerous!

Not a clue who the manager was, I was very young at he time, prob on the cusp of double figures. I do remember it was at their old ground that was demolished not long after, I take it there is a link here to Windsor?

Going back to an earlier quote I don't remember Yates getting his leg broken against Brentford, in fact the only injury i remember him picking up was against Fisher Athletic away (in the Trophy i think) when he broke a rib or two. A very resilient player considering he appeared to have quite a slight frame and would have been marked very closely as our danger man.

I won't give any answers yet then but you're correct with the Windsor connection idea.

Also I agree Yates wasn't put out of the Brentford game by Chopper Harris, it was Chopper put out of the game [subbed] by a combination of being seriously skinned several times by Yates and nearly being booted into the stand several times by our own 'Chopper' - Roger Harris!

Now there was a bloke who wouldn't last long in todays' game. Gave a whole new meaning to you've been 'Rogered'. Hard as nails but fair and a real Gent off the pitch even if he did look like a Mafia enforcer !

just a quick one for Mgoss. I happened to mention that you had been posting on the forum to my dad and he says that he used to play alongside you with the Windsor Rangers and i think he said spital as well. His name is Mick Parker some people new him as blondie Parker.

He still has photo of team shot with you both alongside the hazell bros,Dave Reader, Wisbey, Woolard, manager Tony Pacitto and Nobby Collins who looks after the main gate on match days at Windsor. He also comments on how the best local players seemed to get overlooked at Windsor in them days. He also played for the District Boys team and still has team sheets etc for the final against Swansea district played at Swansea fc. The maidenhead & Windsor team included two boys who did go on and play for windsor & Eton i think one of them went by the name of Gosling. Me, Dad and my lad go to most of Windsors home games and the odd away game and are really enjoying the success they are currently having.

That makes it even funnier that a keeper of such quality can make a hash of something so simple as throwing a ball out.

I would never have guessed at Alan Davies, but it was just so funny and the action of the Windsor team these days would probably get them each a 3 match suspension under some PC (that's pathetically correct) by-law in the game.

just a quick one for Mgoss. I happened to mention that you had been posting on the forum to my dad and he says that he used to play alongside you with the Windsor Rangers and i think he said spital as well. His name is Mick Parker some people new him as blondie Parker.

He still has photo of team shot with you both alongside the hazell bros,Dave Reader, Wisbey, Woolard, manager Tony Pacitto and Nobby Collins who looks after the main gate on match days at Windsor. He also comments on how the best local players seemed to get overlooked at Windsor in them days. He also played for the District Boys team and still has team sheets etc for the final against Swansea district played at Swansea fc. The maidenhead & Windsor team included two boys who did go on and play for windsor & Eton i think one of them went by the name of Gosling. Me, Dad and my lad go to most of Windsors home games and the odd away game and are really enjoying the success they are currently having.

I used to live opposite your Dad in Forest Road and as 10 year olds we spent hours playing football with a tennis ball in the street. We also went to Clewer Green school at the same time and played in the school team. I think we both played for Dedworth together and remember playing in a Slough League Cup Final at the old Slough Centre stadium on Farnham Road.

My Mum and Dad lived on Westmead just up from your Dad on Springfield Road. She is now in Winton House(she is 98 and still going strong) on Dedworth road across from Vale Road Rec. He will probably remember the times we used to have a Sunday pick up game there when at least 40 or 50 people would turn up for a game.

I remember Nobby Collins, he had a brother Freddie who played a few games at Windsor. I remeber one game when someone behind the goal was giving one of our players a lot of stick. So much so that the player ran off and was going to punch him. In the dressing room after the player kept tellin Fred that if he ever found out who it was he would sort him out. Fred then had the task of letting him know it was his oldest brother.

Say Hi to your Dad