Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Southill Alexanders Groundshare....

NeutralFan

Interesting article on Cambridge Citys website about their new groundshare at Newmarket Town, it mentions Biggleswade Town offered the Carlsberg Stadium as an option. Are Southill not sharing there next season then?

City announce groundshare with Newmarket

Posted by Andrew Dunn

Feb 4, 2010, 06:32

Email this article

Printer friendly page

Cambridge City Football Club can today announce a 3-year ground share deal with an option to extend if necessary with Ridgeons League Newmarket Town that will see City play at the Jockeys Cricket Field Road ground from the start of the 2010-11season.

The agreement will see City make a number of enhancements to the ground that will upgrade the stadium to a C grade by 31 March 2010. This will mean the Lilywhites can maintain the current level of football and if promotion is achieved the club will qualify to be a member of the second tier of the Blue Square League next season.

Following a preliminary inspection by representatives from the FA and Zamaretto League on Friday 29 January, the club is confident that work will be complete by the deadline. The main parts of the work will see the addition of a 125 seater modular grandstand, and a further two modular terracing units that will house a further 250 supporters under cover. This will bring the capacity to the required level, and with the additional capacity being modular, it means that they will remain the property of the club and can be taken to a new ground at a later date.

Other work deemed necessary by the FA ground grading team will see the addition of two new turnstile units, a new exit gate installed and a requirement for infill perimeter fencing. The club will be making an appeal for volunteers to come forward and help with this work in the next few days.

Identifying a suitable stadium for City to ground share at has proved to be a long and exhaustive process lasting many months. During that time the board of directors have spoken to ten football and rugby clubs in Cambridgeshire and the surrounding area and looked at almost every possible alternative. Apart from Newmarket, the only other option open to the club was Biggleswade Town and the club would like to thank their Chairman, Maurice Dorrington, for his very kind offer of support. However, consideration has to be made with regards the travelling distance for our fans who are the lifeblood of this club. With that in mind, Newmarket came through as the only viable alternative.

City Chairman Kevin Satchell said “The board would like to thank Kevin Grainger and his committee for their co-operation and support in setting up this ground share. I know that our Supporters Trust board are fully supportive and I would like to appeal to all of our fans to embrace the concept of ground sharing at Newmarket. The next 3 years will be a difficult chapter in the history of the club but it remains confident that with the support of its loyal and dedicated followers that it can pull through and lead the club back to a new and permanent home in the near future.”

Kevin Grainger, Chairman of the Jockeys commented “Newmarket Town are delighted to have Cambridge City groundsharing with them. The deal can only bring good news to the club, its supporters and players. City will upgrade the ground to a level C standard and it has been a pleasure dealing with their Chairman and board of directors. This deal changes nothing for the playing side, but does bring greater benefits for all”.

Whilst the club ground shares at Newmarket, the board of directors at Cambridge City will continue with the ongoing and longer term commitment to find a suitable permanent location for the club closer to home. This is by no means an easy task and a number of sites have already been considered and ruled out. However, we believe we have identified at least one possibility and this is currently being pursued. It is hoped that before the end of the season we will be able to provide more information on our proposals.

© Copyright 2003-10 Cambridge City FC

Shame to see Milton Road go to the wall. I remember going there in the 60s when CIty were the biggest club in Cambridge. Despite the dog track, it was a large ground with one of the biggest covered terraces in Non-League football.

are Southill not playng at Biggleswade next season??

only one way to find out pay £50 to visit their website.

Shame to see Milton Road go to the wall. I remember going there in the 60s when CIty were the biggest club in Cambridge. Despite the dog track, it was a large ground with one of the biggest covered terraces in Non-League football.

I remember going there in the late 60s/ early 70s for a Southern League Premier Division game between Cambridge City and Brentwood. 3,000 people there and a fabulous atmosphere. Brentwood were in sky blue I remember, and won 3-0 I think.

Apart from Newmarket, the only other option open to the club was Biggleswade Town and the club would like to thank their Chairman, Maurice Dorrington, for his very kind offer of support. However, consideration has to be made with regards the travelling distance for our fans who are the lifeblood of this club. With that in mind, Newmarket came through as the only viable alternative.

'what tangled webs we weave'

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from Newmarket, the only other option open to the club was Biggleswade Town and the club would like to thank their Chairman, Maurice Dorrington, for his very kind offer of support. However, consideration has to be made with regards the travelling distance for our fans who are the lifeblood of this club. With that in mind, Newmarket came through as the only viable alternative.

'what tangled webs we weave'

whats that expression 'silence speaks volumes' lol.

Just assumed you'd had another brain fart Richard, didn't know you were looking for a response. Boring green eyed guff as usual.

I notice you are continuing your rather pointed interest in our club, Richard. I see your own team appears to be having a very bad run of form. Have you started looking for another manager yet? After all, you are an old-established club, as you often point out - no reason for you to baulk at change.

Just to provide some context, we drew with the League leaders today away from home. Last week we got through to the semi-finals of our League Cup. There's been a lot of changes at our club Richard, new players and a completely different way of approaching the game. And all with the same manager. Fancy that. We are very pleased with how things are going, both on the pitch and off it. Football's a funny game, isn't it?

Good luck to your team for the rest of the season.

I notice you are continuing your rather pointed interest in our club, Richard. I see your own team appears to be having a very bad run of form. Have you started looking for another manager yet? After all, you are an old-established club, as you often point out - no reason for you to baulk at change.

Just to provide some context, we drew with the League leaders today away from home. Last week we got through to the semi-finals of our League Cup. There's been a lot of changes at our club Richard, new players and a completely different way of approaching the game. And all with the same manager. Fancy that. We are very pleased with how things are going, both on the pitch and off it. Football's a funny game, isn't it?

Good luck to your team for the rest of the season.

what happens at my club is of no concern to you, are you a shareholder in my club? no,i am in yours, do i need to point out this obvious difference to you?

if anyones got any issues with my team please feel free to pop down to the club where im sure you will get a friendly welcome.

I remember going there in the late 60s/ early 70s for a Southern League Premier Division game between Cambridge City and Brentwood. 3,000 people there and a fabulous atmosphere. Brentwood were in sky blue I remember, and won 3-0 I think.

It was probably season 68-9 in Southern League South. Brentwood only played one season in the Premier (69-70) and City were promoted from the South that year.

Here to help.. :smilewinkgrin:

It was probably season 68-9 in Southern League South. Brentwood only played one season in the Premier (69-70) and City were promoted from the South that year.

Here to help.. smilewinkgrin.gif

thanks for that coup.

Edited by knowitall

Here to help.. :smilewinkgrin:

It could have been Cambridge United v Brentwood, Coup. I saw a game at each ground at that time so I could have the visitors mixed up!

September 15, 1969

Cambridge United 0-3 Brentwood

You old git.... :)

I made my debut at the Abbey three months later, in days when a snow-covered pitch proved no problem!

That was your starter for 10. Who were Cambridge City playing at Milton Road that same midweek then?

Drat, drat and double drat... The 15th was a Monday night and ironically Romford had played at the Abbey on the Saturday... the only City programme I have from that season is from January and results only go from the November. So, I could trawl through my FA Trophy collection from that season to work out who they didn't play, but personally, at this juncture, I just can't be ar$ed.. :smilewinkgrin:

• 1 month later...

I see that Southill Alexander actually won a game on Saturday, 4-2 away at 'the mighty' Sharnbrook, many congratulations!

I was interested to read this article yesterday on the Non League Today site:

SOUTHILL BOOST SURVIVAL HOPES

06/04/2010

Bedfordshire County League Premier Division club Southill Alexander go into the season`s final weeks with manager Steve Foster bouyant as to where the members-owned club goes from here.

After a really enjoyable first campaign which has seen teething problems, Foster has a mandate to push on next time around after looking to survive a relegation dog fight in the club`s first season.

Foster (pictured), the former Concord Rangers and Canvey Island defender, confirmed to nonleaguedaily that, albeit sandwiched in between a Brittania Cup semi final reverse against Dunton, his players had thrown themselves a lifeline by recording back-to-back wins against Biggleswade United

Reserves 2-0 and Sharnbrook 4-2 respectively, which has taken them out of the bottom two relegation places.

It also provided a springboard to work towards a final placing in the eight games remaining that would more match the quality of play Foster`s side has produced, although there is no doubt that they have underachieved this season.

Jason Lynch recorded his ninth strike in seven games against Sharnbrook last Saturday, with Foster believing that next weekend`s Carlsberg Stadium return with thje same opposition would be crucial as preservation of County League Premier status is vital towards future membership drives.

Foster made a 15 minute cameo appearence in the Sharnbrook triumph as he had seven players missing through injury, suspension and work commitments further compounded with three players delayed due to traffic problems.

Making a first showing of the season four days short of his 39th birthday, but very happy to serve his club in any capacity, Foster finalised by saying: “The support the club has enjoyed through nonleaguedaily has been crucially important for raising its profile.”

06/04/2010

Bedfordshire County League Premier Division club Southill Alexander go into the season`s final weeks with manager Steve Foster bouyant as to where the members-owned club goes from here.

After a really enjoyable first campaign which has seen teething problems, Foster has a mandate to push on next time around after looking to survive a relegation dog fight in the club`s first season.

I'm wondering whether Southill Alexander have Max Clifford on board as their publicist as this is classic stuff.

06/04/2010

I'm wondering whether Southill Alexander have Max Clifford on board as their publicist as this is classic stuff.

It sounds exactly like the kind of stuff you write.