Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

MFC vs Carshalton Athletic

Wellsie

Well just like the past 5-6 season's, it's more then likely that 19th place will not be relegated this season and at the moment we're just 2 points off 19th, so it's possible that if we couldn't escape the relegation zones finishing 19th would see us gain a reprieve.

So wheres this reprieve for that spot going to stem from then Jake? I take it you have some idea.

The team who finishes from 4th from bottom with the most amount of points from the 3 leagues stay up, at the moment we have more points than Worksop and Bedford who both occupy 19th in their respetive leagues, but as it stands we find ourselves in the wrong position. 8 points in 4 games isn't bad for a team who are supposedly down and out, if we carry on like this then i 18th is still well within our means, because lets face it teams above us are going to drop points. For survival i was thinking we need atleast 4 points against Carshalton, we have 1 already. We need to also accept that teams are going to go bust this summer, so if we finish 19th this season we stay up no ifs or buts about it, we just need to get there.

The team who finishes from 4th from bottom with the most amount of points from the 3 leagues stay up, at the moment we have more points than Worksop and Bedford who both occupy 19th in their respetive leagues, but as it stands we find ourselves in the wrong position. 8 points in 4 games isn't bad for a team who are supposedly down and out, if we carry on like this then i 18th is still well within our means, because lets face it teams above us are going to drop points. For survival i was thinking we need atleast 4 points against Carshalton, we have 1 already. We need to also accept that teams are going to go bust this summer, so if we finish 19th this season we stay up no ifs or buts about it, we just need to get there.

Uumm,Yeah,Right! Thank you Alex for that. I do think maybe you are assuming that what happened in previous years will happen again. However,having said that I'll take your word for it for now & if it does pan out in the way that you mention & it does help a club out then indeed I will be the first to admit "you told me so".

Edited by Cookie

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken Alex. If no teams go bust, all 4 teams in all 3 leagues will go down, I believe? Think that 'best-placed 4th from bottom team staying up' rule went out the window a while ago. Obviously, in previous seasons, with teams going bust (as appears to be the case again this year), the best-placed 4th from bottom team may well survive.

Re: the game, echo what most have said. May well have missed a trick in not getting the three points, especially as we had the wind with us in the second half. Simply didn't test the keeper enough in the second half - think the way he 'dealt' with Lacy's inswinging free-kick showed that he truly was awful. Superb goal from Sammy. Other results really didn't go our way, so we may well look back and feel this was two points dropped. Going to be a real tough game Tuesday, but bring 'em on!

Interestingly, I believe our last six games have gone as follows: 3-0 loss, 3-0 loss, 2-1 win, 2-1 win, 1-1 draw, 1-1 draw. So, based on that theory, whatever the result is on Tuesday, will be repeated next Saturday......?

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken Alex. If no teams go bust, all 4 teams in all 3 leagues will go down, I believe? Think that 'best-placed 4th from bottom team staying up' rule went out the window a while ago. Obviously, in previous seasons, with teams going bust (as appears to be the case again this year), the best-placed 4th from bottom team may well survive.

ah ok, if this is the case then i was completely unaware of the rule change, it has never been used since we've been in the Ryman mind you. however i don't think the rule comes in when a team goes bust. So i think at the moment the team who are currently 19th in the unibond stay up because of Chester going bust, that is the easiest way to sort it in those situations, otherwise it gets stupidly complicated.

Also Cookie i think you may have read my post in the wrong context, i wasn't undermining your knowledge, i was giving my point of view of what i thought the situation was and as DM has pointed out to me, i may be completely wrong.

I think we have a better chance of staying up then what we did 2 weeks ago when actually did look like we were down an out, but the team have turned that around and made survival look more promising. I think if we knew after the Waltham game that we were going to pick up 8 points from the next 4 games we would have taken them without any hesitation, because when you look at the fixtures there wasn't really one easy game in there and our best chance of a win was against Carshalton. Remember a couple of weeks ago we all accepted defeat to relegation (including myself), so i'm confused why so many are dissapointed.

As I read it with Chester and Farsley Celtic folding in higher leagues this means that two teams at level 3 will be saved (based on points at end of season). Only 3 will go down from conference and 2 fron Conference North. Although both are northern teams it is a pyramid so all level 3 leagues are looked at nationally - ryman, southern and unibond - which means that 19th will be good enough. However we don't want to endure that uncertainty throuh the summer awaiting confirmation of the constitution of the leagues next year. Lets aim for 18th. Maidstone are struggling.

As I read it with Chester and Farsley Celtic folding in higher leagues this means that two teams at level 3 will be saved (based on points at end of season). Only 3 will go down from conference and 2 fron Conference North. Although both are northern teams it is a pyramid so all level 3 leagues are looked at nationally - ryman, southern and unibond - which means that 19th will be good enough. However we don't want to endure that uncertainty throuh the summer awaiting confirmation of the constitution of the leagues next year. Lets aim for 18th. Maidstone are struggling.

Also disappointed to see Cray notch up 3 points. As they have played 2 more than Maidstone I feel that they could still be in the mix. 3 from those 6 I feel.

Disappointing result and 2 points dropped unfortunately. However these things even themselves out and out of the 4 matches I think most people would have taken a draw from Tooting and Sutton and two wins off Carshalton and Billericay. Therefore we are about on target for our total. However 3 tough away matches in a row now.

Also Cookie i think you may have read my post in the wrong context, i wasn't undermining your knowledge, i was giving my point of view of what i thought the situation was and as DM has pointed out to me, i may be completely wrong.

Me,knowledgable? You really got to be kiddin Alex :icon22: It never crossed my mind for a minute that you were by the way.

Anyways I've read what you & others have said about this & to be fair you all make a very good case for that repreive spot. Suppose we will just have to wait & see. All I'm trying to say is that as of & up till now I havent seen any indication anywhere that its going to happen this season.But circumstances can change I suppose.

Mind you If we dont get to that position,at least, it won't matter to us anyway & I honestly believe that 19th position is the best we can do now.

Sorry for being negative but despite our form improvement of late the loss of two very very vital points on Saturday,(which SHOULD have been more than achievable i.m.o),will come back to haunt us I'm sure of it. Anything more than a 19th placing is going to be really really tough to achieve now.

Lets hope we do manage it,(at least),& that you are all correct in what you are saying. I'd take a back door entrance again & not feel embarrassed by it either. (whoops maybe I should have phrased that last bit better).

:embarrased2: :embarassed:

Edited by Cookie

Whilst cookie decides which side to bat for; i agree that i just can't see us getting out of the bottom 4 now-and see no signs to date this season of the best 4th placed team getting a reperieve through the failing of others.

Even if that were to happpen-as the Unibond league has 20 teams in it-i guess they would pro-rata the points for that leagues 19th side by 22 games, and thus on paper whilst a ryman side may initially appear to have more points than a Unibond team-once pro-rated across 22 games-that may not be the case anyway.

From the FA Handbook 2009-2010:

'Step 3 and Step 4

The clubs in the bottom four places in each of the three divisions at Step 3 at the end of the playing season will be relegated to a feeder pool and placed in the most geographically appropriate division of Step 4. They will be replaced by the club finishing in 1st position in each of the divisions at Step 4 together with a further six clubs to be determined by a series of play off matches involving those clubs finishing in a play-off position (normally positions 2 to 5) in each of the divisions at Step 4.'

Interestingly, I believe our last six games have gone as follows: 3-0 loss, 3-0 loss, 2-1 win, 2-1 win, 1-1 draw, 1-1 draw. So, based on that theory, whatever the result is on Tuesday, will be repeated next Saturday......?

Lets hope so Mike.Wouldn't that be greaaaaatt!

Edited by Cookie