Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Message Board Confussion

I do understand that the ETFC forum was suspended on the advice of the

legal team but it does seem nonsensical when the whole of ETFC just migrates to here to carry on as normal.

This is in fact a worse place for discussion to take place. On the ETFC forum, the moderator would be particularly sensitive to postings that could compromise the club's position, and would take steps quickly to remove dodgy postings and exclude troublemakers. That will happen more slowly here, if at all, because the ESL forum moderator does not have a stake in the case.

But surely there is no link between any non-league forum, even the ETFC one, and the club, as they are all unofficial? A simple disclaimer would add a bit more comfort. We don't even need to be sanctioned by the club, as I understand it. Also, most of the posts that could possibly have the remotest chance of being libellous have come from supporters of other clubs.

It's the same as a newspaper publishing a letter, I presume. Or if someone slanders another while sitting in a pub, the pub is not liable is it?

To keep our forum removed now does seem a bit excessive.

The newspaper analogy is not valid; the pub analogy is. If a newspaper publishes something libellous, the newspaper gets sued. Similarly, if ETFC published something libellous, say in the matchday programme, they would get sued. But we are talking about the ETFC forum, which is not officially linked to the club. It's like suggesting that if I went to the Gareth Gates newsgroup and libelled someone then Gareth himself would get sued.