Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Virginia Water

windsorian

I understand VW were one in the CC many years ago before all the sillt ground grading rules, according to their website they say their ground is up to CC grading. would they be eligible for div one without lights ? i know they have only just been promoted to the surrey elite so it is probably premature, visited there recently, nice club.

Ah one of my old clubs (my first senior club when they were county champions 3 years on the bounce!!). A very nice club indeed and they certainly already have a better ground than at least a few of the current Div 1 teams that have no lights!

Think the only thing really missing is lights (they certainly have room for a stand etc), but know the issue with that used to be the fact the club is on crown land so pretty hard to get any planning.

Ah one of my old clubs (my first senior club when they were county champions 3 years on the bounce!!). A very nice club indeed and they certainly already have a better ground than at least a few of the current Div 1 teams that have no lights!

Think the only thing really missing is lights (they certainly have room for a stand etc), but know the issue with that used to be the fact the club is on crown land so pretty hard to get any planning.

In that case Jurg, I played against you during that time for Bookham, remember 1 year needing to go to VW to pip you for the title and losing 1-0 and then ending up I think 2 points behind at the seasons end.

Always had some great games against VW down the years, good bunch of lads and a good team at the time, good to see they seem to be on their way back .

And as for rotating the goal keepers WTF :350:

Edited by Teflon

That's where Jurg got the nickname, due to some dodgy looking brightly coloured German style shellsuit he used to wear at training. I was there at the time in various roles over about 8 years and I must say that they were some of the most enjoyable times I've had in football. Great bunch of lads from 1st team, reserves and youth, really good people at the club and although the sides were all extremely good and disciplined, the social side was second to none and we all knew how to have a good time. I am also pleased to see them moving back up and always look out for their results. With regard to lights, it seems unlikely they will get them as Jurg says. In fairness, the area the ground is in is a particularly attractive spot and it always struck me that to put an enclosed ground with floodlights would do the area no good. I think that the so called progress the leagues seem to require can overlook the fact that the grass roots football will always need somewhere to be played and a good pitch with decent facilities can offer that opportunity. Starting to get sentimental now as I can recall many events during those years - good times!

I second that, as I also have some great memories and times from being there. One particular tour (that manager50 somehow got to come on) with the youth team will always be way above anything else I think I will ever do in football!!

Made many a good friend through the club and likewise always keep an eye on how they are doing.

PS the nickname was actually given to me by the many QPR fans at the club at the time, who named me after Jurgen Sommer the then QPR keeper......15 years later and the name is what everyone calls me apart from my actual family!!!

Dont think they have much hardstanding around the pitch, old but functional clubhouse, as was said plenty of room for some sort of cover

but as was said planning is the thing although windsor play on crown land and there is lots of facilities, surely some modest stand and lights could be approved, i thinkthe club are on fairly good terms with runnymede council so time will tell.

PS the nickname was actually given to me by the many QPR fans at the club at the time, who named me after Jurgen Sommer the then QPR keeper......15 years later and the name is what everyone calls me apart from my actual family!!!

Bit unfotunate being named after that bloke. Was a decent enough goalie, just not good enough for the Premier League.