Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

ANOTHER CROYDON SIDE GONE

The Fan

The resignation 'speech' was captured on video:

http://qik.com/video/11925216

None of the players/management were there for the money, oh goodness me no. There for the fans, challenge, facilities blah blah.

Yet another club pointlessly trying to punch above its weight. And the list goes on.....

I remember going there a couple of times some years ago and thought it was a soulless place with a ground that resembled a prison exercise yard! However, I do feel sorry for the Athletic fans, who must love their club as much as we all do ours, and it is not their fault that a crook took over, expressly for the purpose of laundering money, it seems. They may well have "bought" promotion last season, but there is not one of us, I believe, who would rather be in the CCL One or Premier than in the next division up the ladder, and if that meant having on board some sugar daddy (or mummy) who "bought" that elevation we would not complain. We may fear what happens next, but speaking from a club that briefly achieved that elevated status, when we came 10th in Ryman One, I would (with all due respect to the CCL) rather see Egham as a Ryman club again. Happily I can't see Pat Bennett, our chairman, trying to fix cricket matches.

I agree with all of that Tempest but when you take that chance and it happens dont expect any sympathy and come out with the feel sorry for the fans rubbish. Most if not all will have enjoyed the ride without a second thought.

I agree with all of that Tempest but when you take that chance and it happens dont expect any sympathy and come out with the feel sorry for the fans rubbish. Most if not all will have enjoyed the ride without a second thought.

Absolutely. If my team were throwing money about like Crawl£y, i'd be horrified. Looking forward to the day it all ends in tears and it will eventually, of that there is no doubt.

Back to Wandsworth & Norwood, the piece in the NLP speaks of pay cheques the players relied on to pay mortgages and put food on tables. But i thought they were paying peanuts and they were all there for the love of the club? Is it very naive of me to think that Ryman League players shouldn't really be relying on football wages to pay their mortgages and food bills?

Edited by TRS

Absolutely. If my team were throwing money about like Crawl£y, i'd be horrified. Looking forward to the day it all ends in tears and it will eventually, of that there is no doubt.

Back to Wandsworth & Norwood, the piece in the NLP speaks of pay cheques the players relied on to pay mortgages and put food on tables. But i thought they were paying peanuts and they were all there for the love of the club? Is it very naive of me to think that Ryman League players shouldn't really be relying on football wages to pay their mortgages and food bills?

but since when has players dosh been reliably stated or made any sense

Ryman League Premier Division club Croydon Athletic have two weeks to find a new owner or face extinction.

The Rams have been thrown into chaos since owner Mazhar Majeed had his assets frozen following his arrest last week on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers and money laundering.

Management and players left for good after Saturday's defeat to Concord Rangers as the club can no longer afford to pay them and their fixtures against Tooting & Mitcham United on Tuesday and Sutton United on the 18th have been postponed.

A statement from the Ryman League read: "The Ryman League has been contacted by Croydon Athletic FC as a result of internal problems following allegations made in a national newspaper regarding the person widely regarded as the owner of the club.

"The club has been unable to pay the August wages for the players and are faced with a number of other financial claims.

"At the end of the club’s home match with Concord Rangers the management team indicated that the side would be unlikely to play together again.

"The league has been working closely with the club during the past week and attended a meeting at the club last Wednesday with the chairman and three other senior members of the club.

"Croydon Athletic FC is doing all it can to stay in business and are hoping that by publicising their plight they may find someone willing to take over the club.

"The league has agreed to a request from the club to postpone its next two league fixtures – away to Tooting & Mitcham United on Tuesday, September 7th and home to Sutton United on September 18th – in order to give the club time to see if it can survive the difficult position in which it finds itself.

"The league and the club will then reconsider the position to ascertain whether or not the club can meet its commitments to the league for the remainder of the season."

Ryman League chairman Alan Turvey said: “The league is very sorry the club has suffered such a blow.

"We are concerned to act in the best interests of all parties in this matter and to make sure that every avenue is explored to see if the club can continue.

"We do not want players to play in matches which may not count nor do we want spectators to pay to see matches whose results are then erased from the records.”

Croydon Athletic, whose FA Cup game against Kingstonian next weekend is also likely to be postponed, said: "During the next two weeks we will continue to look for financial backing in an attempt to take the club forward and a decision will then be made after this period of time."

www.epsomguardian.co.uk>