Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Alex 0`Reilly

dodger

I honestly feel that results will improve when Wilko returns between the posts. Alex is in my opinion, and with the utmost respect to him a good Number 2 Goalie. He is no where near as commanding as Wilko.

Alex has made errors (as have others to be fair) which has cost us dearly. He has been flung into Conference Football unexpetedly and has made some first class saves but his errors such as Saturday when we were matching Chester in all areas gave them the upper hand when they really did not deserve it.

For all those poeple knocking Andy at the moment please be patient, we have Wilko to return this month (hopefully), plus Andy Drury also to return shortly who I feel is one of the best prospects I have ever seen don a Fleet shirt (quote me on that at the end of the season if you like).

Robin Trott has also shown his class and his return will also be a great boost.

Despite our poor performances to date I was encouraged by our style of play on Saturday up to that last stupid few minutes which was totally unprofessional.

i don't think we should blame o'reilly for the first goal really, i think he just took a gamble in trying to win the tackle; a necessary gamble, as nobody in the defence had reacted- the guy was through on goal, and frankly would have scored anyway. well thats what i thought anyway.

don't get me wrong though, i love wilko, and am looking forward to his return. he'll have his work cut out this season though.

I take your point but......didn't O'Reilly make 3 or 4 good saves against Telford which may have saved us from major embarrassment ?

I remember one save he made, down low to his left to tip it round the post ? I thought it was in !!

So, ok, Wilko is probably the better keeper....but don't crucify Alex

for one mistake ( and I could have scored Chester's second goal if I was unmarked at the back post as well !!.....bad defending in my book !)

Cheers,

strawberry.gif

Point taken, especially regarding the second goal Hirsty. I do like Alex despite my comments and I know he is gaining more control in every game and there is at times some pretty naive defending for him to cope with.

I am not giving up on the season at this early stage like some, we have all watched enough football to know that there is still a lot of twists and turns to come for all conference clubs.

Alex's weakness seems to be going in firmly when the situation warrants - which should not really be his job anyway. The first goals conceded against both Woking and Chester were very similar and I suspect that, had it been Wilko, the ball would have ended up in the stand, if not over it, on both occasions, rather than in the back of our net.

Otherwise, I feel confident when he plays, albeit that Wilko makes everyone look more comfortable when he plays.