Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Aung San Suu Kyi

I cannot for the life of me understand what all the fuss is about over Burmese Human Rights 'do gooder' Aung San Suu Kyi who is ludicrously being compared to Nelson Mandela. Suu Kyi was released from house arrest on Friday after a lenient seven years however twice before, in 1996 and 2002, she was released from house arrest only to immediately resume her totally pointless and fruitless campaigning for democracy and was unsurprisingly detained again by the authorities shortly afterwards. There was even an attempt on her life in 2003 when armed Military representatives attacked her convoy on a road near Mandalay and she will surely be lucky to survive until Christmas if she continues her ridiculous fight against the no nonsense Burmese regime.

I cannot for the life of me understand what all the fuss is about over Burmese Human Rights 'do gooder' Aung San Suu Kyi who is ludicrously being compared to Nelson Mandela. Suu Kyi was released from house arrest on Friday after a lenient seven years however twice before, in 1996 and 2002, she was released from house arrest only to immediately resume her totally pointless and fruitless campaigning for democracy and was unsurprisingly detained again by the authorities shortly afterwards. There was even an attempt on her life in 2003 when armed Military representatives attacked her convoy on a road near Mandalay and she will surely be lucky to survive until Christmas if she continues her ridiculous fight against the no nonsense Burmese regime.

Yeah, what's so good about Democracy?

Democracy is two foxes and a chicken voting on what to have for lunch!!!!!!

:doh:

Rhodes, your ability to portray yourself as a first rate buffoon has now reached almost immeasurable proportions.

Aung San Suu Kyi is a legitimate democratically elected leader of her people and a Nobel Peace Prize winner, achievements that you, with your severely limited intellect are totally incapable of ever understanding.

I know you never answer questions, probably because you lack the intelligence to do so, but I'm sure others would be interested to know why you feel that fighting a vicious murdering dictatorship is "ridiculous".

Best she cooks a mean noodle dish

Eastside Urchin - Talking of food, if Aung San Suu Kyi is alive by Christmas to eat her Christmas dinner I will be very surprised

Best she cooks a mean noodle dish

Eastside Urchin - Talking of food, if Aung San Suu Kyi is alive by Christmas to eat her Christmas dinner I will be very surprised

If the lady in question is not universally recognised as the leader of her people by next Christmas I would be equally surprised.

• 11 months later...

I see that Aung San Suu Kyi has been in the news again following the release of her mind numbing new biography 'The Lady and the Peacock'. What sort of Mother would not see her two sons for ten years and her husband for eleven years despite him dying of cancer aged only 53, all that was needed was a simple unreserved apology to the tolerant Burmese Military regime and her agreement to stop her senseless campaigning but she selfishly didn't want to know.

How much of her new biography did you read Rhodes? Mind you it had a head start on numbing your brain didn't it?

Do you know anything about Aung San Suu Kyi, you like to come across as a know all on here and a former business executive who rubbed shoulders with the great and the good in your time but you always get caught out with your trousers around your ankles don't you

I don't think that anyone should consider the Burmese Military Regime tolerant. My son has worked as a journalist in the far east for a number of years ans has visited and written about Burma extensively.

If anyone wishes to get an Englishman's understanding of Burma's problems, google" mark fenn burma" and then make your mind up.

Do you know anything about Aung San Suu Kyi, you like to come across as a know all on here and a former business executive who rubbed shoulders with the great and the good in your time but you always get caught out with your trousers around your ankles don't you

Just asking you a question or two Rhodesy since you are the "expert", can't quite see why you are so touchy on the subject if you have actually read Kyi's "mind numbing new biography" to quote you but since you don't answer the question we'll all have to draw the conclusion that you are talking out of your ar$e again and felt that you had to try some distraction techniques with some personal remarks to try to cover up your ignorance. You don't learn do you? You're not learning....

I'm waiting for the book to be returned to our local library so I can borrow it, and without prejudging the content to much, I would expect it to contain tales of mass oppression, cruelty and exploitation of her people, and very little about the personal sacrifices and bravery of a truly remarkable lady.

I'm waiting for the book to be returned to our local library so I can borrow it, and without prejudging the content to much, I would expect it to contain tales of mass oppression, cruelty and exploitation of her people, and very little about the personal sacrifices and bravery of a truly remarkable lady.

I'm sure that we all know this MU and Rhodes is just trying to entertain in some childish manner with his perverse view but at the end of the day he likes to make light of these subjects that are serious to some. The lady is the party secretary of the winning party in democratic elections put on by the military junta in 1990 but was placed under house arrest for 21 years from 1989 for democratically representing her political party.

Of course we all recognise that Rhodes perverse criticism of a woman who stood for her principles to benefit her people over a Chinese state sponsored military and denied herself a family life in doing so is just the jealousy of a man without such morals or backbone to stand for anything. Nothing new there is there?

• 1 month later...

I see that, incredibly, there is even going to be a film about Aung San Suu Kyi, imaginatively entitled 'The Lady', which will be released on 30 December, it 'stars', for want of a better word, Michelle Yeoh, a 49 year old Malaysian-Chinese actress however the reviews already make Waterworld with Kevin Costner seem like 'A Wonderful Life', The Glenn Miller Story' and 'North By NorthWest' in comparision. Some of the review quotes include 'a kind of botoxed biopic with an unlikely director', 'almost to a scene Yeoh is so still and serene she’s practically submerged' and 'Yeoh’s performance forms a kind of undertow that pulls the surrounding story and characters into the hagiographic shallows', those are the more complimentary ones:

http://www.movieline.com/2011/12/review-the-lady.php

BlackDog - I don't regard it as a waste of time, anybody in the World who does a Google search for Aung San Suu Kyi should presumably get this page up and come to realise that she is not Mother Teresa. Also I see that Ian has a lucrative advert for London Hotels at the top of the thread, perhaps I should ask him for a cut.

Loosely - What are you talking about, have you spent the afternoon on your sofa in front of the tv or on your laptop on the wine

Haha Rhodesy, they never gave you prizes for originality did they? What about you? Tied to mummy's apron strings again? Did you get some pocket money for pop and crisps and a new jigsaw?

BlackDog - I don't regard it as a waste of time, anybody in the World who does a Google search for Aung San Suu Kyi should presumably get this page up and come to realise that she is not Mother Teresa. Also I see that Ian has a lucrative advert for London Hotels at the top of the thread, perhaps I should ask him for a cut.

RIP Christopher Hitchins, who called Mother Teresa "A lying, thieving Albanian dwarf!!!!