Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Southill Alexander....

coupwotcoup

Three final words, can any of them be taken as final? cheesy%20(2).gif

Good fairy story though.

cheesy%20(2).gifcheesy%20(2).gifcheesy%20(2).gif

Loosely - I have to give you credit for showing your face on here, fair play!

As one of the mugs who invested in this hair brained scheme I can tell you it was enjoyable while it lasted. I think the reason for it's eventual demise are accurately listed above, but beyond that we never really got enough members to make it work. It certainly wasn't for lack of effort on Sally and Looses part. It will not have come as a shock to any of it's members as our sites interactions have always been open. For the people who like watching traffic accidents and clog the road up for the rest of us trying to get on with our journey you can take heart, because there will be more adventures going south for you to take the piss out of. As for me I look forward to engaging in more "stupid ideas" with like minded people. Thanks again loose, sally, et al. It's still a good idea. Just not this time.

Kind of you Rhodes. Its been a sad week for some of us, happier for others it seems, still we all make prats of ourselves from time to time.

Basil has had a lot to say for himself and I'll happily concede that he's hugely experienced and well respected and usually his opinions are well balanced but something about SA seems to get his goat, perhaps it is just me. He's perfectly correct that I knew next to nothing if not nothing at all when we started SA and he is well placed to know this since he was a part of the project for a short time and knows well my level of experience since I openly admitted it. As "acting" Chairman I was always seeking someone with more nous to step up for a permanent role.

For all our faults we never bigged ourselves up, we never said that we'll do this or that, always that we wanted to learn and had a natural ambition as should any club. I think we were competitive during the final 3 months of our first season but for one reason or another couldn't get going this season and a project like ours without an abundance of people on the ground needs constant success or the hope of it to keep stimulating interest amongst remote viewers and members, even so I'd say that I do not think there was ever a moment when we did not feel supported by them but with less and less games played since the beginning of December even players cast around for some serious exercise and to keep their skills honed.

We've never blamed UU for our shortcomings as you Rhodes in particular have liked to try to make out - rather just to deny the part you would like to portray, that he was more than just instrumental in helping to arrange our initial groundshare. Since then you will be surprised to hear that we had been offered and accepted the offer from Biggleswade Town of a totally free groundshare which of course with the events of this week we won't be able to continue - I'd pay tribute to Maurice Dorrington and his committee (even though I'm unsure that they'd read this) for their hospitality, generosity and constant and continual kind advice and help in all matters non league and Carlsberg Stadium, a special mention for Andy McDonnell and Karen his wife, also Emma their daughter - all three could run any sort of league/non league club between them! I think it is only fair to say that none of this incredible help would have come our way without the relationship and trust built by our Club Secretary Sally. A quick thank you to Eton Manor for their kind support and encouragement stemming from our one and only outing in the FA Vase and while a perfect example of the friendships that can come from taking part in competitions where you'd only meet teams outside of your own league a lesson in how to still enjoy defeat!

For all of our much lauded faults how can anyone say that we've caused any harm? How can we have damaged non league football when all we have done is tried to find an alternative to funding more competition in non league football? Several teams folded last year, several this and even one team (your favourite Rhodes), Ickwell and Old Warden with a long history and even older Chairman who will be sorely missed if he stays away too long from the Beds County Football League. As a newcomer SA won't be missed but lowly clubs from Step 7 and even above will find it ever harder to find stability without investigating other sources of funding and even interest from unusual sources.

If people like yourselves Rhodes and some of your "mates" want non league to be exclusive of outsiders then I really hope that you are not the norm, fortunately we will always have at least some positives to take from our short experience and happily only a very few negatives because this forum isn't non league football, just a small section of it.

The better sections of non league football include people like Steve Foster and his colleagues who tirelessly spend half their spare time on cold wet and windy pitches and the other half on the phone. I don't know why they do it.

I'll still visit from time to time Rhodesly, we still have the outcome of Foxy Knoxy, the stone cold sex killer of Perugia to debate! cheesy%20(2).gif

Basil has had a lot to say for himself and I'll happily concede that he's hugely experienced and well respected and usually his opinions are well balanced but something about SA seems to get his goat, perhaps it is just me.

and there you go the same old agenda,ad nausem any criticism i make is not based on sound good judgement its based on personal bias,i havent posted on Southill for over a year,so you give with one hand and take with the other,the point is to say that my opinion on Southill is irrelevant because its personal ignore my views as i cant think straight on the subject,a five year old could see through that. dont reply because ive got better things to do and rhodes is waiting for you elsewhere, BYE.

Basil has had a lot to say for himself and I'll happily concede that he's hugely experienced and well respected and usually his opinions are well balanced but something about SA seems to get his goat, perhaps it is just me.

and there you go the same old agenda,ad nausem any criticism i make is not based on sound good judgement its based on personal bias,i havent posted on Southill for over a year,so you give with one hand and take with the other,the point is to say that my opinion on Southill is irrelevant because its personal ignore my views as i cant think straight on the subject,a five year old could see through that. dont reply because ive got better things to do and rhodes is waiting for you elsewhere, BYE.

Basil, you cannot expect to make a comment like that without receiving a reply. I've paid tribute to your position in non league football, I've accepted part of your criticism, I've not mentioned the rest because I believe it's best left alone since I don't think it has much to do with football. I'm sure no-one ignores your views but sometimes as in this case I don't think they are as balanced as at other times. I've not been as rude as you have and I've not come back to every post of yours because I'd hoped that you would get the bile out of your system sooner rather than later.

Best of luck with your football, along with the better sections of non league being managers also are club secretaries who spend half their time not being able to watch the football they make possible, the other half equal measures of worrying where the money is going to come from, the rules and regs being observed and making sure that everyone is happy. Anyone involved in running non league football deserves only our respect and gratitude where football is concerned.

Take care and as I said, best of luck.

Basil, you cannot expect to make a comment like that without receiving a reply. I've paid tribute to your position in non league football, I've accepted part of your criticism, I've not mentioned the rest because I believe it's best left alone since I don't think it has much to do with football. I'm sure no-one ignores your views but sometimes as in this case I don't think they are as balanced as at other times. I've not been as rude as you have and I've not come back to every post of yours because I'd hoped that you would get the bile out of your system sooner rather than later.

Best of luck with your football, along with the better sections of non league being managers also are club secretaries who spend half their time not being able to watch the football they make possible, the other half equal measures of worrying where the money is going to come from, the rules and regs being observed and making sure that everyone is happy. Anyone involved in running non league football deserves only our respect and gratitude where football is concerned.

Take care and as I said, best of luck.

ok mate fair enough,can you help me with a problem while your here? ive got two drinking buddies down the pub peter and paul,my intention is to discredit paul, i have two plans which one would you reccomend??

A. I see Peter and tell him that Paul beats his dog,steals from the poor box and is a compulsive liar.

B. i see Peter and tell him what a great night i had with Paul last night,i sing Pauls praises mentioning that his a animal lover, always shows great kindness to strangers and hes a great father to his kids,but what a shame that he beats his wife.

well what do you think? im tempted to go with Plan B cheers.

ok mate fair enough,can you help me with a problem while your here? ive got two drinking buddies down the pub peter and paul,my intention is to discredit paul, i have two plans which one would you reccomend??

A. I see Peter and tell him that Paul beats his dog,steals from the poor box and is a compulsive liar.

B. i see Peter and tell him what a great night i had with Paul last night,i sing Pauls praises mentioning that his a animal lover, always shows great kindness to strangers and hes a great father to his kids,but what a shame that he beats his wife.

well what do you think? im tempted to go with Plan B cheers.

They are both drinking buddies? Friends?

Why would you want to go with either plan and risk losing one or both friendships? Why don't you just let sleeping dogs lie?

Oh well.

Best of luck.

Shame about Southill Alexander. Never did get to one of their games.

With Ebbsfleet also loosing members, is the membership type club the best way forward? Or is the way forward but the economic climate just wrong?

Ground hopper-leave it mate,for the love of God leave it,THATS ALL FOLKS!!!

It was a serious question.

Not getting into a spat between you and those involved (let's face it anyone living in Basildon needs all the help they can get ;) ). I genuinely feel sorry for them.

Personally I think it could have worked, but perhaps it was a year or two too early.

Sad to see Leyton go bust as well this week.

Who is next? :(

It was a serious question.

Not getting into a spat between you and those involved (let's face it anyone living in Basildon needs all the help they can get ;) ). I genuinely feel sorry for them.

Personally I think it could have worked, but perhaps it was a year or two too early.

Sad to see Leyton go bust as well this week.

Who is next? :(

Never been to Leytons ground,there were three Essex grounds i had never visited Harwich and Parkeston,Leyton and Brentwood,the first two have now went bust so dont go buying shares in Brentwood.

It's a shame about Leyton as I was recently invited to get involved at Lea Bridge Road by the new Manager and had big plans for the Club who have always been one of the sleeping giants of non league football, the sky could well have been the limit if only they been administered properly and not involved themselves with the likes of crooked Costas Sophocleous

Yes, it's certainly one of the good old fashioned non league grounds, I wonder whether the Club can still be saved as there was no word of their demise in the Non League paper today whereas Southill Alexander got quite a lengthy mention

http://hoppysnaps.bl.../10/leyton.html

pictures of the ground.

Lets hope they keep the ground and someone moves in there,Leyton,Leyton-Wingate,Leyton Pennant all very confusing,have you not been to Basildon United yet ground hopper??

Went to Leyton's Hare & Hounds ground with Bowers & Pitsea's ressies for a now defunct Essex & Herts Bordering Counties Combination League game in the 2004/05 season (Joe was playing and I was in the dugout with caretaker manager Lee Stevens). We got battered 5-0.

Nice little ground with a decent clubhouse, but the parking is a nightmare, the club carpark only holds about half a dozen cars.

Yes, it's certainly one of the good old fashioned non league grounds, I wonder whether the Club can still be saved as there was no word of their demise in the Non League paper today whereas Southill Alexander got quite a lengthy mention

Which copy of the NLP were you reading? My copy has quite a bit to say about Leyton - considerably more than the article about SA.

Edited by sjj2112