Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Sewer Rats v Canvey Island

can't believe you lost after all the concord baiting thats been going on lol

Neither can I and I am as guilty as anyone for that but credit were credit is due, we gave them a lot of stick and in the end they are the ones with the 3 points! :applaus: :applaus: :applaus:

My pride is hurting more than my head at the moment and will for some time no doubt, but I will take it on the chin(s), if you give it you have to be able to take it. Yesterday felt like a good old fashioned footballing day, my son's had their colours on, picking up their friends on the way to the game, the build up beforehand, everyone I spoke to for the last few weeks have been going on about this game and then a nice sized crowd of 720!! As for the game, it wasn't the greatest game of football I have seen, nothing to separate the sides in the first half, we changed formation in the 2nd half and seemed to have slightly the better of it with Brightly pulling of a superb save from Alex, a couple of shots from Alex also being of target and Leon causing trouble down the right side. I thought the officials got it right disallowing our goal, maybe Leon could have taken the chance himself, although if he had and missed we would have wanted him to square it!!! It looked like Rusty had pulled of an incredible save down the other end and the game was going to end up all square, only to be beaten in the last minute. I enjoyed the atmosphere, throughout the game you could feel the tension and it showed on the pitch. The scuffle at the end was great, I am not encouraging it, but it added to the 'Derby' feel which had been building up nicely. The goal celebrations were expected and we as supporters have to be big enough to take that, after what the Concord lot were put through before and during the game it was their way of sticking right back up us. We would have been exactly the same so full credit to them, as earlier said they now own the bragging rights and its for us to grab them back when they come to the Brockwell.

It's been the best build up for a match in such a long time!

The goal celebration was expected - it hurt - but as you say they deserved it after the stick they got!

where did all the fans come from???

Out of the woodwork, where they will return as well, which is a shame! There was plenty of faces that wont be seen again until there is another game of similar interest! There was plenty of neutrals there last night where both clubs would hope to have gained a few because even though the football wasn't the best, there was a great atmosphere.

Yeh there was a few canvey scarves with cobwebs on !

Always the way! I bet some of them 'fans' from last night haven't been to either club all season!!

They are the ones we want and need to get back though, the interest to the build up and the atmosphere during the game hopefully would be enough to show them what they are missing!

We've got to take it all on the chin, we've been in the opposite situation many times before and we'll see it plenty more times in the future, it's the love of the game!

I have mixed views on the game seeing as it was a derby. Obviously to lose to such a late goal is gutting, but Seanla has troubled us before when playing for Horsham and Boreham Wood. I don't begrudge Concord celebrating their win like they did, although the lack of reaction from the majority of the crowd must have been a littie embarrassing.

I like Concord's style of play, it is ultimately the "Canvey" way that we have become accustomed to over the seasons. They passed the ball neat and quick, especially in midfield along the floor. There were times that it resulted in head tennis and like us they fail to deal effectively with high balls, oftening directing the ball into no man's land or straight at an opposition player. Concord's defence was strong, but like us they were sometimes caught on the break. :applaus: Where the main difference is like we've seen on multiple occasions this season is strikers being able to finish in front of goal and Brightly being a bit of a flapper. :grin:

My biggest concern of the night though was that we undid ourselves by not starting players in their strongest positions. It's a DERBY! Not having Rhodes play on the left until the second half made us very narrow during the opening 45 and having a left-footed striker on the right wing didn't help either. Perhaps Hallett did something during the warm-up which meant Westy had to come in at left-back wearing no. 9? We had three strikers on the bench: Leon, Hallett and Ellis. To not include at least one of them in the starting XI so the team was balanced is shocking to be honest and the fact that it took till half-time to get it right. Last time we played players that much out of position was against Heybridge in the League Cup and back then we were punished with a late goal. :wall:

Having an unbalanced side meant we created zero chances on target during the first half and had nothing coming into the box from the high up the wings. Curran kept cutting inside to have the ball on his left and the crosses coming from the left were coming from deep and easily dealt with. Because of this Concord had the better of the first half, although our defence did well as if I recall correctly Concord didn't have their first corner until well into the second half.

Second half we were the better side, but failed to cut it once inside the penalty area. Rhodes was at his natural best bombing down the left, Leon was doing the same down the right and we played wider and more fluid. Kingy and Gameo were getting forward and we started to look dangerous as Brightly started to look more nervy. dance%20%282%29.gifdance%20%282%29.gifdance%20%282%29.gifAlex was really unlucky to hit the inside of the post, an inch to the right and that was in the bottom corner. Our "goal" was rightly given offside, although I thought Leon would've taken it all the way. If I'm perfectly honest I feel a lot more confident of him putting it away when one on one than Curran anyway.

The Concord Management also taught our bench how to effectively use substitutions, making several changes to introduce fresh legs throughout the second half, not wait until you're losing in stoppage time to throw on the two you've got left cause you've only made one so far and that was at half-time! :doh: Our defence looked well and truely knackered when they scored and I don't blame them. I also don't blame the players for walking straight off the pitch, after lasting out for 90 minutes and then being caught on the break by a goal that some down that end claimed was offside must've been gutting. I imagine a few water bottles were kicked in the away changing room once everyone was inside.

Still like it's been said one game doesn't make a season, even if it is a derby that we should've had a fair crack at. We must get a result against Folkestone now to get our playoff ambitions back on track and seeing as the Hendon game has been moved again we're going to have to wait teven longer to make up those games in hand.

Just one bit of constructive feedback for the Concord Board. Please improve your PA system I couldn't hear bugger all throughout the game, not even the starting XIs and I want to know if I won anything in the raffle! :smilewinkgrin:

Ooops, think that was a bit of a long post.....

Edited by Matt H
Bloody smilies!

Always the way! I bet some of them 'fans' from last night haven't been to either club all season!!

They are the ones we want and need to get back though, the interest to the build up and the atmosphere during the game hopefully would be enough to show them what they are missing!

Hopefully! The island has so much potential, but neither club seems to be able to exploit it! I can't understand why nobody on the island is interested...

Hopefully! The island has so much potential, but neither club seems to be able to exploit it! I can't understand why nobody on the island is interested...

Many life long islanders don't give two hoots about the sports teams on the island and those who have moved here, travel to Southend, West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs and even the likes of Leyton Orient to remain loyal to their roots. I saw one bloke last Sunday wearing a Leyton Orient scarf and there are lots of closest Southend fans who have come out the woodwork over the last couple of seasons.

We've got to take it all on the chin, we've been in the opposite situation many times before and we'll see it plenty more times in the future, it's the love of the game!

I have mixed views on the game seeing as it was a derby. Obviously to lose to such a late goal is gutting, but Seanla has troubled us before when playing for Horsham and Boreham Wood. I don't begrudge Concord celebrating their win like they did, although the lack of reaction from the majority of the crowd must have been a littie embarrassing.

I like Concord's style of play, it is ultimately the "Canvey" way that we have become accustomed to over the seasons. They passed the ball neat and quick, especially in midfield along the floor. There were times that it resulted in head tennis and like us they fail to deal effectively with high balls, oftening directing the ball into no man's land or straight at an opposition player. Concord's defence was strong, but like us they were sometimes caught on the break. :applaus: Where the main difference is like we've seen on multiple occasions this season is strikers being able to finish in front of goal and Brightly being a bit of a flapper. :grin:

My biggest concern of the night though was that we undid ourselves by not starting players in their strongest positions. It's a DERBY! Not having Rhodes play on the left until the second half made us very narrow during the opening 45 and having a left-footed striker on the right wing didn't help either. Perhaps Hallett did something during the warm-up which meant Westy had to come in at left-back wearing no. 9? We had three strikers on the bench: Leon, Hallett and Ellis. To not include at least one of them in the starting XI so the team was balanced is shocking to be honest and the fact that it took till half-time to get it right. Last time we played players that much out of position was against Heybridge in the League Cup and back then we were punished with a late goal. :wall:

Having an unbalanced side meant we created zero chances on target during the first half and had nothing coming into the box from the high up the wings. Curran kept cutting inside to have the ball on his left and the crosses coming from the left were coming from deep and easily dealt with. Because of this Concord had the better of the first half, although our defence did well as if I recall correctly Concord didn't have their first corner until well into the second half.

Second half we were the better side, but failed to cut it once inside the penalty area. Rhodes was at his natural best bombing down the left, Leon was doing the same down the right and we played wider and more fluid. Kingy and Gameo were getting forward and we started to look dangerous as Brightly started to look more nervy. dance%20%282%29.gifdance%20%282%29.gifdance%20%282%29.gifAlex was really unlucky to hit the inside of the post, an inch to the right and that was in the bottom corner. Our "goal" was rightly given offside, although I thought Leon would've taken it all the way. If I'm perfectly honest I feel a lot more confident of him putting it away when one on one than Curran anyway.

The Concord Management also taught our bench how to effectively use substitutions, making several changes to introduce fresh legs throughout the second half, not wait until you're losing in stoppage time to throw on the two you've got left cause you've only made one so far and that was at half-time! :doh: Our defence looked well and truely knackered when they scored and I don't blame them. I also don't blame the players for walking straight off the pitch, after lasting out for 90 minutes and then being caught on the break by a goal that some down that end claimed was offside must've been gutting. I imagine a few water bottles were kicked in the away changing room once everyone was inside.

Still like it's been said one game doesn't make a season, even if it is a derby that we should've had a fair crack at. We must get a result against Folkestone now to get our playoff ambitions back on track and seeing as the Hendon game has been moved again we're going to have to wait teven longer to make up those games in hand.

Just one bit of constructive feedback for the Concord Board. Please improve your PA system I couldn't hear bugger all throughout the game, not even the starting XIs and I want to know if I won anything in the raffle! :smilewinkgrin:

its a brand new system mate !

Not used to having to turn it up to get over the crowd noise !

Joe Swash on the Tannoy doesn't help!!! cheesy%20%282%29.gif

Joe Swash on the Tannoy doesn't help!!! cheesy%20%282%29.gif

pmsl

Great post Matt H.....exactly as i saw it, But I think you hit the nail on the head here....

"My biggest concern of the night though was that we undid ourselves by not starting players in their strongest positions. It's a DERBY! Not having Rhodes play on the left until the second half made us very narrow during the opening 45 and having a left-footed striker on the right wing didn't help either. Perhaps Hallett did something during the warm-up which meant Westy had to come in at left-back wearing no. 9? We had three strikers on the bench: Leon, Hallett and Ellis. To not include at least one of them in the starting XI so the team was balanced is shocking to be honest and the fact that it took till half-time to get it right. Last time we played players that much out of position was against Heybridge in the League Cup and back then we were punished with a late goal."

Great post Matt H.....exactly as i saw it, But I think you hit the nail on the head here....

"My biggest concern of the night though was that we undid ourselves by not starting players in their strongest positions. It's a DERBY! Not having Rhodes play on the left until the second half made us very narrow during the opening 45 and having a left-footed striker on the right wing didn't help either. Perhaps Hallett did something during the warm-up which meant Westy had to come in at left-back wearing no. 9? We had three strikers on the bench: Leon, Hallett and Ellis. To not include at least one of them in the starting XI so the team was balanced is shocking to be honest and the fact that it took till half-time to get it right. Last time we played players that much out of position was against Heybridge in the League Cup and back then we were punished with a late goal."

This is what surprised me... After our unbeaten run, why did we make any changes to the starting XI? Hallett was warming up at around about 60 mins, so I don't think he was injured at all. Rhodes gives us pace up front, but it's not his natural position!

This is what surprised me... After our unbeaten run, why did we make any changes to the starting XI? Hallett was warming up at around about 60 mins, so I don't think he was injured at all. Rhodes gives us pace up front, but it's not his natural position!

I think team selection was forced on the managemnt team to be honest.

Dobbo missing was a big loss, his precence and experience in midfield would have given us the edge in my view.

Jason hadn't trainned since picking up a hamstring problem against Wealdstone, so he was only fit enough for the bench. Gordo isn't match fit yet so again being realistic we was only going to ever get 45 mins out of him.

I thought tactically we got it right, we always looked in control throughout and we were by far the better side second half, we just didn't get the break in front of goal.

Interesting to read Alex Rhodes footballing stats, he has played well over 100 games as centre forward, personally i prefer him as a wide player but i think he was the best option to play alongside Healsey last night to start with.

The goal was fortunate with Chris Moore slipping just as he was about too head a fairly straight forward punt up field away.

As people have said in other posts we take it on the chin and move forward to Saturday clash with Folkestone.

Special mention to the Yellow Army who were superb throughout and also too the many old faces that i spoke to around the ground, many of which promised a return to the Brockwell over the coming weeks.

Dobbo missing was a big loss, his precence and experience in midfield would have given us the edge in my view.

Jason hadn't trainned since picking up a hamstring problem against Wealdstone, so he was only fit enough for the bench. Gordo isn't match fit yet so again being realistic we was only going to ever get 45 mins out of him.

I thought tactically we got it right, we always looked in control throughout and we were by far the better side second half, we just didn't get the break in front of goal.

Interesting to read Alex Rhodes footballing stats, he has played well over 100 games as centre forward, personally i prefer him as a wide player but i think he was the best option to play alongside Healsey last night to start with.

The goal was fortunate with Chris Moore slipping just as he was about too head a fairly straight forward punt up field away.

As people have said in other posts we take it on the chin and move forward to Saturday clash with Folkestone.

Special mention to the Yellow Army who were superb throughout and also too the many old faces that i spoke to around the ground, many of which promised a return to the Brockwell over the coming weeks.

Does Mr Batch actually tell you what to write ?

As others said he got it wrong !

Does Mr Batch actually tell you what to write ?

As others said he got it wrong !

Lol!

Just adding some facts and my personal view to the discussion like the rest of our fans.