Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Guernsey F.C.

Smudge

Just an idea thats all Guernsey... I think it is a good idea to have you on the mainland I just hope that the travelling is sustainable for all clubs.

You, interesting? Behave Mylo, surely not cheesy%20%282%29.gif

It's been on here for a day or so that the FA has given Guernsey FC permission to play in the league. One hurdle left....

Guernsey you are doing a good job please keep it up

I joined this website yesterday to welcome all of the clubs to Guernsey and try to state how happy we are in Guernsey to have the privillege of joining your league

When coming to Guernsey we will welcome you with a crowd of between 500 and 1000, sometimes 2000 if you are as good aswe expect as we support our team 100%, this is not an exaggeration, it is the level of support that we give to Tony Vance and his talented side

Please don't disrespect the gratitude and honor that is shown to you in light of being given the opportunity to join your league, we bring a talented football side that will no doubt add value to your league and hopefully show other clubs that it is possible to make the step up to your level.

Many of you think that Guernsey FC tried to enter the Kent league a couple of years ago but this is untrue. A local Guernsey club, Guernsey Atheletics, tried in their own right but this venture did not have the backing of the Guernsey community and has since folded and become part of Rovers AC in Guernsey.

Guernsey FC arrives in your league to commence what hopefully will be a platform for a new standard of football for the Island. Funding for this venture is secured for at least five years with the major sponsor committing £750k over 5 years and now that Guernsey FC has been accepted by the FA (we now wait fingers crossed for acceptance by the clubs at the CCL AGM) we have lots of further local committed sponsors. So those of you who are worried about next year and the years proceeding need not, this venture has been totallyl thought out, business plan in place and every 't' crossed.

We bring a new level of support, finance and administration to your league. We also bring a competitive footballing side who will cause you all problems under the leadership of Tony Vance so no more 'whatever' responses please, we do not lie or exaggerate how much joining your league means to us so please do not disrespect our intentions as we endeavour to succeed without detriment but instead enhancement to your league. Island Club sides have, over many years, participated in County Cup competitions and have not always been respected for the effort put into these fixtures. UK teams are treated as professional sides when in Guernsey and although travelling to Guernsey may seem to be a hinderance to some on arrival teams will totally understand our intentions and the manner in which we do our football business. Again I state that we look forward to you all visiting our Island and hope that you will give us the respect that we already give you.

Welcome Guernsey Guru,as a doubter of what Guernsey will bring to the C.C.L.,can you answer a few questions.

1. You say you will bring a new Level of Finance,Support,Administration,to the C.C.L. how will this help C.C.L. Clubs.Support :-How many Guernsey Fans do you expect to Travel?Which is the only way the C.C.L. Clubs can benefit FINANCIALLY.

2. What would be the cost of a C.C.L. Supporter travelling and staying overnight in Guernsey,you must of costed what it will be for a Team to Travel,with your good Administration Team

3.Why the variation in Crowds expected at your Home Games,by my reckoning with 500 you cover the away teams travelling costs,With a 1000 you cover your Teams Travelling costs,with 2000 you make a tidy profit.

4.You say that the Funding is in place for 5 years,is this gauranteed upfront by a creditable business,Remembering as I do,the likes of Hornchurch,Farnborough,Croydon Athletic,to name but a few.Who all wanted to live the dream but failed.

5.I personally think it is a great move by Guernsey F.C.,and they will be like passing ships,as far as the C.C.L. is concerned.You will do an A.F.C. Wimbledon,but without the added revenue that they brought to the C.C.L.Infact I think C.C.L. Clubs will be out of pocket in this venture,but at least some will have a nice experience,A TRIP TO GUERNSEY.

Welcome Guernsey Guru,as a doubter of what Guernsey will bring to the C.C.L.,can you answer a few questions.

1. You say you will bring a new Level of Finance,Support,Administration,to the C.C.L. how will this help C.C.L. Clubs.Support :-How many Guernsey Fans do you expect to Travel?Which is the only way the C.C.L. Clubs can benefit FINANCIALLY.

2. What would be the cost of a C.C.L. Supporter travelling and staying overnight in Guernsey,you must of costed what it will be for a Team to Travel,with your good Administration Team

3.Why the variation in Crowds expected at your Home Games,by my reckoning with 500 you cover the away teams travelling costs,With a 1000 you cover your Teams Travelling costs,with 2000 you make a tidy profit.

4.You say that the Funding is in place for 5 years,is this gauranteed upfront by a creditable business,Remembering as I do,the likes of Hornchurch,Farnborough,Croydon Athletic,to name but a few.Who all wanted to live the dream but failed.

5.I personally think it is a great move by Guernsey F.C.,and they will be like passing ships,as far as the C.C.L. is concerned.You will do an A.F.C. Wimbledon,but without the added revenue that they brought to the C.C.L.Infact I think C.C.L. Clubs will be out of pocket in this venture,but at least some will have a nice experience,A TRIP TO GUERNSEY.

Sudge, I am sure ALL the clubs in the CCL are grateful for your unceasing search for THE TRUTH about Guernsey FC, but you do not actually represent any one of them in any form. Your constant posts about how hard done by the CCL will be by having Guernsey on board, the horrendous costs to player and club alike; the splitting up of families on match days as players and officials have to spend one night away from the loved ones, the sackings on Monday mornings for the players that had to bunk off work to make the plane....the list goes on.

I've was at the meeting when Guernsey FA presented their case to the clubs, 75% agreed it should be pursued further, and it doesn't matter who voted which way either Prem or Div1. The proof of the pudding will be at the AGM when the clubs have the absolute right to vote Guernsey FC in or out . Listening to most of the small talk at the back of the room on that night, there was alot of mutterings from some clubs, but they didn't put their 'points' to the guys from Guernsey because they were too busy laughing amongst themselves. The clubs that did most of the complaining about the issue were clubs that either had a long trip to Gatwick or are finding times tight financially across the board. This is a once a year journey, but I think you Smudge are now flogging a dead horse with all your questions. The clubs have heard and the clubs will decide.

There is much negative talk about how this is going to haver such a bad impact on the CCL. Well the clubs have two choice - kill it at the AGM, or give them a season and see how it works. If it is a disaster then we have the next AGM to get rid of them.

Good point about the supporters, Smudge. Are you planning a trip over to see how bad the set-up is? I'm am sure you would like the CCL to pay for your journey and accommodation as you have done so much recently to support the League and their officers with your incisive comments about their suitability for office.

Sudge, I am sure ALL the clubs in the CCL are grateful for your unceasing search for THE TRUTH about Guernsey FC, but you do not actually represent any one of them in any form. Your constant posts about how hard done by the CCL will be by having Guernsey on board, the horrendous costs to player and club alike; the splitting up of families on match days as players and officials have to spend one night away from the loved ones, the sackings on Monday mornings for the players that had to bunk off work to make the plane....the list goes on.

I've was at the meeting when Guernsey FA presented their case to the clubs, 75% agreed it should be pursued further, and it doesn't matter who voted which way either Prem or Div1. The proof of the pudding will be at the AGM when the clubs have the absolute right to vote Guernsey FC in or out . Listening to most of the small talk at the back of the room on that night, there was alot of mutterings from some clubs, but they didn't put their 'points' to the guys from Guernsey because they were too busy laughing amongst themselves. The clubs that did most of the complaining about the issue were clubs that either had a long trip to Gatwick or are finding times tight financially across the board. This is a once a year journey, but I think you Smudge are now flogging a dead horse with all your questions. The clubs have heard and the clubs will decide.

There is much negative talk about how this is going to haver such a bad impact on the CCL. Well the clubs have two choice - kill it at the AGM, or give them a season and see how it works. If it is a disaster then we have the next AGM to get rid of them.

Good point about the supporters, Smudge. Are you planning a trip over to see how bad the set-up is? I'm am sure you would like the CCL to pay for your journey and accommodation as you have done so much recently to support the League and their officers with your incisive comments about their suitability for office.

KNAPMEISTER,Thanks for your comments,but take offence at your last paragraph.When will you ever learn I am not a FREELOADER,I pay wherever I go,always have done always will.IN FACT I TAKE PRIDE IN WHO I AM,AND THE MORALS I HAVE.Suprising what difference a couple of months makes,when I was welcomed with open arms at Redding Way,why did you not mention your concerns to me then,rather than be 2 faced,and publish the above remarks.I do not have a say in what happens as regards Guernsey, you are correct in that assumption,but at least I do not go behind peoples backs,and make audacious pleas to the LEAGUE,FOR PROMOTION,Which Knaphill were guilty of last year.Maybe that saying,A LEOPARD NEVER CHANGES IT'S SPOTS is true in your case.

When you buy a new car,do you not take it for a test drive,to see if it is all the SALESMAN cracked it up to be.Like Politicians they only tell you what they want you to know,not what will really happen.Horley have offered the use of Car Parking at their Ground,and to ferry TEAMS to Gatwick,a great undertaking by them,all to save on cost presumably.But will they be able to sustain this generous offer over time?If Guernsey F.C. where wanting to get a 100% vote at the A.G.M. surely they would have offered a TRIAL RUN,to let CLUBS know of any pitfalls,have the League asked for this,or would it be up to the Clubs to demand it.

I'm sure one or two clubs will approach Guernsey for a friendly but I can't see the need for a trial run. If clubs want to know the potential pitfalls then they can ask one of the local rugby clubs as Guernsey have been in London 2 South West for two seasons playing teams like Guildford, Old Reigation, Weybridge Vandals etc.

I work with someone who's involved with Guildford RFC and he says the games away to Guernsey are fine.

It's only a 55 minute flight away, it's not as if it's on the other side of the world. Not much worse than travelling to the Isle of Wight.

Smudge thanks for the welcome (I think)

Answers to your questions

1.Although I would expect to see up to 50 regular travellers to games due to business relationships Guernsey has many individuals who spend much time in and around the London area so I expect the team will be supported quite well also by none travelling supporters. There are many people in Guernsey who are season ticket holders at premiership and other clubs and travel to every game home and away - suggest these individuals will now also follow Guernsey FC.

2. The cost of a flight from Gatwick can be as little as £60 if booked well before the trip and accomodation for the night would be around £30. The is also the fast ferry from Poole or Weymouth and there are always day trip deals which would be really good value for 4 individuals and a car. Try looking at Condor Ferries website.

3. The crowds will vary depending on the standard of football but 500 is a minimum, the Islands population is around 65k, so you can see that we fully support our side. We are not concerned about the profit - we want to participate in a higher level of football

4.The main sponsor is signed up to a 5 year deal, we couldnt have even thought about this venture without that level of commitment in place. You may be right and it may fail but I think you will agree these opportunities do not come along every day and we would be crazy to not even try.

5.I dont think that Guernsey FC can do anymore. They will be paying for your teams travel, accomodation, subsistence and insurance. Therefore I cant see how CCL clubs will be affected financially, the only downside is the travelling time but te flight is only 45 to 50 minutes from Gatwick.

I am not sure why some of your comments should seem sarcastic, we are happy to have our doubters but please give us a chance

KNAPMEISTER,Thanks for your comments,but take offence at your last paragraph.When will you ever learn I am not a FREELOADER,I pay wherever I go,always have done always will.IN FACT I TAKE PRIDE IN WHO I AM,AND THE MORALS I HAVE.Suprising what difference a couple of months makes,when I was welcomed with open arms at Redding Way,why did you not mention your concerns to me then,rather than be 2 faced,and publish the above remarks.I do not have a say in what happens as regards Guernsey, you are correct in that assumption,but at least I do not go behind peoples backs,and make audacious pleas to the LEAGUE,FOR PROMOTION,Which Knaphill were guilty of last year.Maybe that saying,A LEOPARD NEVER CHANGES IT'S SPOTS is true in your case.

Dear oh dear Smudgie, no one is accusing you of freeloading, least of all me who always welcomes something for nothing (tongue firmly in cheek there). Accepting hospitality from others is never freeloading and I am sure we would ALL like the League to be in a position where they could offer free/subsidised/reduced travel arrangements to Guernsey as part of the whole package. Regarding open arms at Redding Way, I am delighted that my colleagues showed you all due respect and hospitality during your visit, unfortunately I was not there to join in, so I couldn't have been two-faced by not mentioning 'my concerns' - whatever they may be.

Regading Knaphill's 'audacious plea' for promotion, firstly I think it was publicised enough for it not to be behind any-ones backs, secondly Knaphill did fill one of the promotion positions and thirdly if the League did not think there was any merit in asking the question after Bedfont resigned and left a gap in the Premier Division then I am sure they would have not entertained the request in the first place. I think any other club in the same position would have taken the same route.

As for Leopards never changing their spots I am surprised you didn't mention the 'disgraceful' episode of the young goalkeeper and all Knaphill's wrong-doing in that as well! To be honest Peter, I have never met you and I am sure your a very pleasant and affable man, but don't get so upset if you perseive a slight from some-one on this forum. As you say, we all have a right to air our honest opinions.

I will await your reply with interest.

The posts above from Guernsey 'supporters' back up my thoughts. I think them joining is an excellent idea and will have our support BUT they must cover the clubs financially. Based upon the statement that attendances will ' be a minimum of 500 up to 2000' then they can easily afford to pay Div 1 Clubs £500 to cover out of pocket expenses such as car parking, extra food, drink, players expenses. That amount is a tiny proportion of their budget and expected turnover from their own figures and would eliminate any financial risk to the Clubs. With that they would then have my full support and it should be great for the CCl as this level of football desperately needs the likes of them and the AFC Wimbledons. All my view only!

The posts above from Guernsey 'supporters' back up my thoughts. I think them joining is an excellent idea and will have our support BUT they must cover the clubs financially. Based upon the statement that attendances will ' be a minimum of 500 up to 2000' then they can easily afford to pay Div 1 Clubs £500 to cover out of pocket expenses such as car parking, extra food, drink, players expenses. That amount is a tiny proportion of their budget and expected turnover from their own figures and would eliminate any financial risk to the Clubs. With that they would then have my full support and it should be great for the CCL as this level of football desperately needs the likes of them and the AFC Wimbledons. All my view only!

CT - I think that it is a bit unfair to suggest they pay for everything.On a normal Saturday my lads would organise and pay for everything they did until they arrived at Molesey. Breakfast, petrol, snacks, train fares. Once at the ground they would have all kit provided and on away games a mini bus that would cost them nothing. Even pre-match jaffa cakes and haribos. After the game they would have hot food at home or sandwiches away, once again free of charge. They would pay for their own drinks at the bar, although on many occasions we have stumped up the first round as a reward. Saturday night then becomes their show once again and whatever they get up to is up to them, and it will come directly out of their own pocket. It seems to me that the only potential "extra" cost they would incur could be parking at Gatwick. The offer on the table means that they will save the cost of breakfast on one morning, and even be given a lunch prior to the game if required, so they are better off in that respect. Clearly, players from clubs such as Ash, Cove etc would pay more in petrol than some from the likes of Horley, but that goes full circle and happens anyway, so no change there. Overall, I do feel that Guernsey have put forward a finacial package that covers virtually everything. They even agreed at the meeting to provide a kit for the away side if they wanted, plus warm up equipment - the aim here to reduce potential extras that low cost airlines add on. Whilst they will be getting larger crowds than all of us, I cannot see that this should be something that ought to be passed on to the visitors.

To my mind, the main concern is that the weather will play a big part in enabling Whitelaw to ensure all of their home games are held at weekends, but I am sure that he will be able to do this on past experience. The problem of a game being called off close to kick off would also concern most of the clubs, as that would certainly be a major setback. The concerns over getting a squad to the games is also a potential stumbling block, but this is down to us managers to organise early on as the fixtures will be published well in advance. We have games this Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and next Monday and it will be a juggling act to get these covered, but I have known for a while now and would expect to have this in hand.

I think you are one of those who can see the potential for the move and have a sensible and positive attitude to the whole thing, but I do feel that the money side is perhaps expecting a bit too much.

As you say, these are only our opinions, and are all valid in their own right.

And Smudge, the offer of a trial run game was given and there may be potential for this to happen. But, as mentioned, there are many rugby clubs who already play against Guernsey and I know the one in Twickenham has no problems with their arrangement.

M50 - thanks for that - you beat me in replying to CT

Surely when not playing at home all CCL sides have to make travel arrangements so I dont see the difference when playing Guernsey, it just means clubs/players will have to get themselves to Gatwick.

I don't think it right to punish Guernsey FC financially for having more potential support or bigger gate receipts. The club is willing to cover all of your travel costs and help in any other way possible but to suggest that they should also provide £500 out of pocket expenses is taking advantage of the situation, in my opinion. Guernsey FC is working tirelessly to bring the required level of sponsorship to this venture. The funding is not just appearing out of the blue, individuals are out there in the community drumming up financial and community support.

A lot of people are focusing too much on how many people will attend Guernsey FC fixtures, it does sound like Guernsey will have more support than some, but surely your teams would love the opportunity of regular games with crowds of 500+

The more support Guernsey attracts must be good for your league but it must be every club's aim to move forwards, improve, win things and attract their own support and therefore their gate receipts.

Guernsey FC is certainly no AFC Wimbledon and as some have pointed out on this site our standard of football might not be as high as yours. Again as pointed out on this site we wond the National Systems League Cup last year but I gather that trophy is played for at a much lower level of football than your league. We do fancy our chances because we do have some really good talented players but we are realistic. It would be interesting to find out who considers us to be the new AFC Wimbledon and where this came from? The funding will not get us to the top of your league or any for that matter, so someone somewhere must have seen us play or have some kind of inside information. There are not many in Guernsey who know what to expect from your league, what standard it is or how we will fare.