Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Mention in the Evening (sub-) Standard yesterday

Saw this in Richard Godwin's comment piece in the Standard yesterday.

Link: http://www.thisislon...ut-of-london.do

Ignore the house price bit and scroll down.

Text:

Enfield's footie glory is only a billion away

Congratulations to AFC Wimbledon, promoted to the football league just eight years after fans formed their own breakaway club in response to the original team's move to Milton Keynes. I await a similar resurrection for my own local team. When I was a teenager, Enfield FC was always threatening to "do a Wimbledon" and rise up from the non-leagues. How we cheered at the swashbuckling cup victories over Cardiff City and Peterborough, the mazy runs of Martin St Hilaire, the sure head of Gary Abbott!

Except the chairman screwed things up royally. The ground was sold to Tesco and the supporter-run Enfield Town split from the loathed original, Enfield 1893.

Both teams will play in the eighth tier of English football next season. It remains a cherished dream that one day the Es will rise again. Anyone know a local billionaire?

Useful publicity, and nice that an Evening Standard columnist recalls the 'good old days' at Southbury Road, even if some of his facts are flawed.

Don't know about finding a local billionaire, if we could attract the same level of local support as AFC Wimbledon or Crawley we could all dream about the Conference and beyond.

Funny, thought it was a swimming pool where the old ground was & EFC lost to Peterborough. Perhaps it's my age & I'm getting forgetful.

Swimming Pool? How dare you.

State of the art leisure centre having just gone through a refurbisment programme.

Just let me know if you want to become a member of the centres - I can offer a 'no joining fee' weekend promotion this weekend.

and did'nt we lose to Cardiff 1-4 at home??

yes but also beat them 1-0

Oh dear the memories going, i need help.

Given that we played Cardiff in three different seasons, winning at the third attempt (having lost to an injury time winner at Ninian Park the previous year) confusion can be forgiven.

Lost to them before the war as well.:futbolbud2:

I said "Don't mention the war!!":icon29: