Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What a load of rubbish.....

all that nonsense was about players not being prepared to play for Andy Ford.

A few good results don't make a season but the last fortnight has shown that the players we have got are good enough and are prepared to give 110% for the cause.

I suspect its going to be long hard season because most of the part timers are of a similar standard, just the same as it was last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if on the last day of the season there are five or six clubs in danger of relegation same as there was last year.

A realistic target for a club operating on our means is to not be one of those five or six clubs.

Totally agree. Unless we are in a position financialy to go full time, this is as good as it's realistically going to get. We may pull out some fantastic performances to get totally unexpected results against top full-time teams. Sometimes we may play ok but we get the opposition on a bad day and again get a result. However, be prepared for some under-par games 'cos they're still bound to happen and one day, we'll meet one of the title challengers at the top of their game and take a bloody good thumping.

If you train for around 6 hours a week, you're not going to be as fluent or fit as someone who trains 4 or 5 days a week and that's not rocket science, is it? So despite our poor start, I think the team are doing remarkably well and at the moment look good for a respectable mid-table position.

However, if the same squad we have now was to go full-time, I reckon we could seriously mount a challenge for the play-offs, I really do.

Quote:
John@TheFleet said:
. . . one day, we'll meet one of the title challengers at the top of their game and take a bloody good thumping.

Didn't that happen last season when we played Yeovil at home (2-4)? Yeovil played like Brazil but we still gave a good account of ourselves.

To take top spot in the Conference, history shows you have to be
full-time. However, as part-timers there is still a lot to play for:

a) a good cup run
B) a play-off spot - on a "1" off situation any part-time Club is
capable of beating any of the full-time teams. Saturday's result
proves this.

I generally don't subscribe to the theory that the best the Club as
part-timers can hope for is to finish "top" of the part-timers
league, year-in year-out - Dagenham have disproved this in recent
years. (Due to financial constraints this will however be a great
achievement this season).

The league is already settling into 3 groups - full time clubs, part timers with good crowds and money behind them, and then the bottom 6 or 7, including us, who are part timers with the smaller crowds. We're top of that little pile at the moment - I'll be happy if we stay there and pass a few of the part time clubs with money, and the full timers as well, to finish mid table - a position I feel sure we're capable of.