Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

Guernsey F.C. have near to a man signed up their entire Island Games squad.A little birdie has told me that they will be looking to bring their away fixtures forward to 1pm on Saturday's,so as to allow them to get the last flight home the same day.Will the League allow this?Home sides could be put at a disadvantage if this is allowed to happen,due to their own players work commitments.

Guernsey F.C. have near to a man signed up their entire Island Games squad.A little birdie has told me that they will be looking to bring their away fixtures forward to 1pm on Saturday's,so as to allow them to get the last flight home the same day.Will the League allow this?Home sides could be put at a disadvantage if this is allowed to happen,due to their own players work commitments.

Both sides would have to agree to it.

For me personaly,i dnt care how good guernsey are or thingk they are,they are at a disadvantage as they know nothing about any of the teams they have to play,i/we will approach the game in the same manner as we would for any other away game.I think guernsey need to worry about us,this is a very strong league and is only getting stronger,there are also some excelent players within this league,i hope we at knaphill can give a very good account of the ccl and show the people on the island what a great league this is.

To be honest I don't know what our level is at English non league level.

But we are good enough to beat strong teams from other islands in the island games. We have beaten Isle of Man, Jersey and Rhodes to name a few. All these teams have a much higher population than us. So at this level we are pretty much the best we won the island games football title in 2001 and 2003 and we got to the final in 2005 and this year.

Lately we have dominated teams but haven't taken our chances so our recent results don't tell the whole story.

I'm looking forward to regular games to watch as our games tend to be quite far spaced out. I think playing regularly will help our team improve even more.

hi smudge would that not mean there home games would have to be 1pm ko so the away teams could catch the last flight home unless they stayed the night?

Not really,but just my view that Guernsey will fly over Friday,stay in a hotel overnight,therefore being fresh for a 1 pm. K.O.Which would allow them only to spend 24 hrs away from home.They are a professional outfit after all,revenues for the host Club would be minimal,as they would have to leave virtually after the game finished.Surely they knew the K.O. times were 3pm when they joined the League,so why move the Goalposts.Yes I know the home club has to agree to the switch,my advice is stick to a 3pm K.O.Be interesting to know if any contact has been made with Clubs already regarding this.

I dont know where you find these birdies Smudge but they seem to only know half of the truth, maybe you should ask one of the Guernsey supporters on here if you have any questions

You are right that the whole Island Games squad has signed up but that squad did not include at least 5 of our best players, in my opinion. The squad will be about 35 players and of that 35, 10 will be good youngsters looking for experience.

You might be correct about attempts to bring forward the KO times but that is not for any kind of advantage other than supporting the club at which GFC will be playing. The players, officials and supporters would like to spend a few hours spending their cash over your bar counters before departing - is there anything wrong with that? Why does everything have to be about gaining some advantage? You are right that it will be much easier, workwise and family wise, and cheaper of course for our squad to just have day trips. This will not be possible on occasion and we are already set for a double header trip. Stop finding problems, we have been accepted into the league now, give us a chance.

We play AFC Wimbledon next week in Guernsey - why not pop across and watch that game so that you can dispel all of your fears

We play AFC Wimbledon next week in Guernsey - why not pop across and watch that game so that you can dispel all of your fears

Isn't it Marcus Gayle's development squad/reserves?

(Not that I am trying to put it down, but can't see many of our fans going over.)

(Not that I am trying to put it down, but can't see many of our fans going over.)

While you are there jertzee, I see Wombles are due at both Sutton and Staines tomorrow evening. Any idea what the make-up of those teams will be?

Well if it is it is not being advertised as that. Obviously it is an opportunity also for AFC Wimbledon to use younger/fringe players but it doesnt say that in any of the advertising here in Guernsey. When pro sides visit Guernsey they normally bring their first teams and I expect there to be around 3 to 3,500 local fans to watch this game

I agree GG.

Smudge - I can't understand your negativity with regards to Guernsey. This is a real step forward for the CCL - the publicity, the experience for the clubs and their players. Whether they're in the CCL for one year or twenty it should be embraced. You're obviously quite entitled to your opinion mate, but there's nearly as many negative posts from you about Guernsey as there are battles between NG and Duncs.

It'll probably take them all of Friday and most of Saturday to get to the Arena anyway.

Well if it is it is not being advertised as that. Obviously it is an opportunity also for AFC Wimbledon to use younger/fringe players but it doesnt say that in any of the advertising here in Guernsey. When pro sides visit Guernsey they normally bring their first teams and I expect there to be around 3 to 3,500 local fans to watch this game

Hmmm - you may want to contact AFC Wimbledon then as it is not noted as a first team friendly on the Official Site.

This is also from the AFCW site "We were very pleased to accept and Marcus Gayle will be flying out with a young squad for the game on Saturday 16 July"

Which brings me onto the SUTTON game - this has now been moved from tomorrow to Saturday 16th.

We are playing Staines , still tomorrow, and then Sutton on Saturday, with Marcus Gayles young team in Guernsey.

While you are there jertzee, I see Wombles are due at both Sutton and Staines tomorrow evening. Any idea what the make-up of those teams will be?

Sutton game now on Saturday 16th

Another thing I should have mentioned Jertzee - when pro clubs visit Guernsey they always end up around the town in the night. It provides a great opportunity for fans to meet players and have a night out with them. In the past loads of fans have travelled across to watch their sides play Guernsey and have ended up making friends with their heros - I hope some of the Wimbledon fans do come along, you will have a great time mate