Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

http://www.channelon...e.asp?ID=495622 see the goals here. fantastic fun game, hope all the visitors enjoyed everything except the score :-)

Quality ! The crowd was loud today and some of the Knaphill players froze on the day as I expected.

Attendance - 1,475

Edited by Guernsey Donkey

OK - I know we can't see the whole of the pitch, but the 2nd goal looks suspiciously O/S !

Fair play to Guernsey, though Knaphill defence and keeper had a nightmare !

Guernsey were constantly caught offside, forwards need to learn to look along the line.

http://www.channelon...e.asp?ID=495622 see the goals here. fantastic fun game, hope all the visitors enjoyed everything except the score :-)

A couple of goals from a good hoof up the field. Terrible defending for the third and fourth goals. Hope other teams put up a better effort than that.

Will be very interesting to hear what Knaphill say about the game and the experience. Wonder if they will be on tonight?

A couple of goals from a good hoof up the field. Terrible defending for the third and fourth goals. Hope other teams put up a better effort than that.

Will be very interesting to hear what Knaphill say about the game and the experience. Wonder if they will be on tonight?

There were some goals from hoofs up the pitch. I don't care how we score to be honest !

Its strange though how we got most of the goals from long balls and all our better passing moves that finnished with a shot their keeper saved ! Its a funny old game !

There were some goals from hoofs up the pitch. I don't care how we score to be honest !

Its strange though how we got most of the goals from long balls and all our better passing moves that finnished with a shot their keeper saved ! Its a funny old game !

Indeed and sorry if I sounded churlish. Well done on Guernsey's first competitive fixture and victory. Sounds like you played as well as you did in the first half against Horley. In those 45 minutes I thought you looked a Step 4 side. Second half that day was very different and maybe Tuesday night away against Hartley Wintney may be a very different story. We shall see - and indeed I shall see as I will probably be there!

Indeed and sorry if I sounded churlish. Well done on Guernsey's first competitive fixture and victory. Sounds like you played as well as you did in the first half against Horley. In those 45 minutes I thought you looked a Step 4 side. Second half that day was very different and maybe Tuesday night away against Hartley Wintney may be a very different story. We shall see - and indeed I shall see as I will probably be there!

I hope you enjoy the game if you go on Tuesday :)

I think to say they are a step 4 side may be a bit premature ... they have won one game and to be fair won very well.... I am looking forward to seeing them in the CCL prem next year with the same players then the next year moving to step 4 with the same players... What I can gather is they have the best side they can possibly have so unless the club has a great infrastructure of producing players will it be a side that grows old together with no back up... Just a question so please do not jump dowm my throat....

I think we will have future young players coming through. Playing in front of 1,500 or more loud vocal fans will inspire young players to take up the game or improve their game.

Edited by Guernsey Donkey

I think to say they are a step 4 side may be a bit premature ... they have won one game and to be fair won very well.... I am looking forward to seeing them in the CCL prem next year with the same players then the next year moving to step 4 with the same players... What I can gather is they have the best side they can possibly have so unless the club has a great infrastructure of producing players will it be a side that grows old together with no back up... Just a question so please do not jump dowm my throat....

Andy if they grow old together i•e next few years then surely they will improve the longer they play together and have a better understanding of one anothers game. With a few younger players coming through they will be a very progressive club. In time I have no doubt they will have england based players also. Teams in div 1 this year will IMO see some very attractive football being played before them and perhaps even learn from it. GFC will not succumb to being bullied over here they have all been coached to not get involved and let the feet do the talking. As I posted earlier in the results thread Warlingham couldn't put Frimley to bed. I find it impossible to think GFC doing the same. Just want to hear Knaphills version of the whole ship shabang as they have looked decent themselves in pre season but by all the posts today there was a murder at Footes lane today.

A good start to the season for Guernsey today but I personally do not share the same optimism as many of my fellow forumers from Guernsey with respect to our chances this season.

Do not get me wrong, I think we have a good side & we have a chance of going up but we will not walk the league as some are suggesting. A lot will depend on how our squad copes with the away games this season, especially when the weather gets worse, temperatures drop & pitches get cut up. I'm not sure how well our players will be suited to an away game against a big physical team when it's cold, wet, on a bad pitch infront of 80 people or so. We are suited to a nice crisp passing game on a lush surface but I doubt that we will have the opportunity to play on many pitches like this as the season progresses. Our own home pitch is shared with the Guernsey Rugby team, and the pitch will take a battering once their season kicks in & will be difficult to play a passing game on in my opinion.

A further underlying problem we surely face is the fact our own local league will be so poor this season. The Guernsey FC squad players are going to be playing in a very poor local league and some may struggle to step up to the level needed when called into the Guernsey FC squad as cover for injured & suspended players for CCL games. I have no idea how the players playing week in and week out for Guernsey FC will continue to play in the local league which is going to result in a devalued and weaker local league.

We face 11 away games from 14 fixtures from 20th August (including the cups) and this period is obviously crucial. Should we continue to show good form over this period then I think we will go up.

there was also an excellent turn out from the local public today but this will probably half to around a maximum or 700 or so as the season progresses more once our own local leagues start, which would still be fantastic support if we can maintain over 700 at all home games this season.

I appreciate this post has come across as fairly negative and I intentionally have tried to draw attention to the problems we will face. Our lads were pumped up today for their first ever game at this level and started at 100 miles an hour, this will not happen every week but we should be quietly confident that this season will be succesful but it will not be a walk in the park.

To finish on a more positive note:

- Guernsey will be stronger once Ben Coulter and Jamie Dodd are both fit, both surely would have started today had they been available. Also I would have Joby Bourgaize in my first 11 but not sure if he is available or not at the moment?

- Ross Allen will attract the attention of sides higher up the league pyramid, his goalscoring record is phenomenal and I predict bigger and better things for him and a move to a bigger team at a higher level within 2 years once he has some experience of playing in the UK league under his belt.

- Guernsey to be promoted this season & to go on a comfortably win the murratti in Jersey!