Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

Didn't know there was still a Guernsey league going on as well! How is that going to work?!

the majority of the GFC squad are also signed to local teams who play in our local leagues. I have no idea how that will work and I can't see the majority of the first team players playing for their local clubs as they will not be able to fit in the games around their GFC commitments and the clubs probably wouldn't pick them anyway as they will never be able to train. Therefore the rest of the GFC squad players will be playing in a much weaker league week in and week out until they are called up and needed by GFC.

As our local league is also affiliated to the FA, I am not sure how our GFC players can sign for two different teams affiliated to the FA?!

As our local league is also affiliated to the FA, I am not sure how our GFC players can sign for two different teams affiliated to the FA?!

That bit is totally fine. You can sign for a Combined Counties side and a Ryman side if you like. Just not two sides per league.

I can't see players playing too often for their local clubs, just for the Upton etc.

A good start to the season for Guernsey today but I personally do not share the same optimism as many of my fellow forumers from Guernsey with respect to our chances this season.

Do not get me wrong, I think we have a good side & we have a chance of going up but we will not walk the league as some are suggesting. A lot will depend on how our squad copes with the away games this season, especially when the weather gets worse, temperatures drop & pitches get cut up. I'm not sure how well our players will be suited to an away game against a big physical team when it's cold, wet, on a bad pitch infront of 80 people or so. We are suited to a nice crisp passing game on a lush surface but I doubt that we will have the opportunity to play on many pitches like this as the season progresses. Our own home pitch is shared with the Guernsey Rugby team, and the pitch will take a battering once their season kicks in & will be difficult to play a passing game on in my opinion.

A further underlying problem we surely face is the fact our own local league will be so poor this season. The Guernsey FC squad players are going to be playing in a very poor local league and some may struggle to step up to the level needed when called into the Guernsey FC squad as cover for injured & suspended players for CCL games. I have no idea how the players playing week in and week out for Guernsey FC will continue to play in the local league which is going to result in a devalued and weaker local league.

We face 11 away games from 14 fixtures from 20th August (including the cups) and this period is obviously crucial. Should we continue to show good form over this period then I think we will go up.

there was also an excellent turn out from the local public today but this will probably half to around a maximum or 700 or so as the season progresses more once our own local leagues start, which would still be fantastic support if we can maintain over 700 at all home games this season.

I appreciate this post has come across as fairly negative and I intentionally have tried to draw attention to the problems we will face. Our lads were pumped up today for their first ever game at this level and started at 100 miles an hour, this will not happen every week but we should be quietly confident that this season will be succesful but it will not be a walk in the park.

To finish on a more positive note:

- Guernsey will be stronger once Ben Coulter and Jamie Dodd are both fit, both surely would have started today had they been available. Also I would have Joby Bourgaize in my first 11 but not sure if he is available or not at the moment?

- Ross Allen will attract the attention of sides higher up the league pyramid, his goalscoring record is phenomenal and I predict bigger and better things for him and a move to a bigger team at a higher level within 2 years once he has some experience of playing in the UK league under his belt.

- Guernsey to be promoted this season & to go on a comfortably win the murratti in Jersey!

I don't agree with you about the attendances. In fact I think our attendances will keep going up.

Why should we struggle any more than other clubs when the temparature goes down ?, utter nonsense !. Today showed we can get stuck in and play a long ball game in worse conditions if needed. Most of our goals today were from long balls.

Didn't know there was still a Guernsey league going on as well! How is that going to work?!

Guys write what you like Knaphill came to Guernsey, were looked after properly, but were no where near the level of Guernsey. Travelling will obviously be a problem to Guernsey but trust me if you can get 9/2, as I have today, on Guernsey to win this league please take it, Knaphill cam here, they tried really hard, but now we know that Guernsey are 2 leagues above CC:L1 at least, This does sound cocky but it is true to those of us who are realistic

Wait til you play lammas, yer we lost today but believe me when I say this well smash you boys to the isle of white and back!! Tucks and the boys are coming for ya!

This was a day that all in Guernsey have waited for in a very long time. Knaphill arrived here with a lot of proessionaiism and did ther upmost to overcome an overwhteleming local support. The truth is that they were not good enough. They lacked ideas and structure in fact, and this may be harsh, but they were no where near GFC. Maybe many of their players were unable to travel to Guernsey but if not GFC were just too strong, I think this was the case. I look forward to an honest opinion from Knaphill but Guernsey are miles above this level of football and wll piss up in this league if teams are not better in every case than Knaphlll. Again this sounds cocky butit is an honest opionion.

Wait til you play lammas, yer we lost today but believe me when I say this well smash you boys to the isle of white and back!! Tucks and the boys are coming for ya!

Dream on mate - I hope you enjoyed your night on the beer, Lammas are supposed to be one of our biggest rivals, losing on day 1????? lets talk more about believing when you bring something to the tale, ok?

By the way Guernsey were really poor today, I mean it, it was the worst performance I have seen from GFC but if we are to judge the CCl by Knaphill we will win this league even though we are crap!!

Don't think we've ever won on day 1, early days, when you boys first comeon here I thought give them a break and good luck to them but after seeing some remarks after there first win I'm thinking I can't wait to slap that smile of face! Get your little 1400 posse and come to number 2 aka animal because believe me when I say this I'll be rattling you boys all acroos the channel islands. P.s don't drink beer just vodka ya melt!

Don't think we've ever won on day 1, early days, when you boys first comeon here I thought give them a break and good luck to them but after seeing some remarks after there first win I'm thinking I can't wait to slap that smile of face! Get your little 1400 posse and come to number 2 aka animal because believe me when I say this I'll be rattling you boys all acroos the channel islands. P.s don't drink beer just vodka ya melt!

Your comments get us back to reality and I thank you for that. A few weeks ago made a lot of comments on this site, once finishing work very late, that upset a lot of people. The reason I made those comments was because I was so fed up with individuals slagging or making out to slag Guernsey off. At the end of day 1 I have been waiting for a true, honest comment as yours. Mate, home or away, after watching Knaphill today, Guernsey will piss this league uniless there is some competion. That is the truth, your comments are read but must be accepted as drivel is all we will see is Knaphill. The coaching staff didnt know what to do and the the guys on the bench just did not want to go on the pitch, 1,400 of us can vouch for that. What was your crowd today?? As you can tell I am happy to the the team to beat, come on guys hate us!!! We are only a little Island but bring a big threat and we love it"!!

You boys know how to make friends!!

I hope you would all be man enough to accept the truth. I hope that Baker from Knaphill comments on this site re the game, He worked his [****!!****] off but didnt have a good enough team around him to either create a chance or build up a push to fight Guernsey. Knaphills goalkeeper deserves a mention as he was my man of the match, it would have be double figures without him, that is not even a gamble. I hope that when the Knapmieiter gets chance to comment he will tell you his truth and that will be that Guernsey are a Ryman side, I didnt lie, you will have to hold you hands up as and when this season completes

You boys know how to make friends!!

We tried mate, we tried. We even offered to pay for friends but that ddnt work. It puzzles me why everyone should be so amazed after the sh+t we take, even thoughwe are footing the bill!

Think that you will find GG that the vast majority of people on this site and those connected with CCL were very happy to have you in the league and wish you well.

We don't even mind if you do have a good team and win most of your games.

Rubbing peoples noses in it when you win will start to turn people the other way. Perhaps you are that good that you just don't care what other people think

Alot of teams in div1 have had to work very hard to get where they are today from Sunday to Saturday teams from county league playing park football all costs a lot of money and time.

It's hard getting out of county leagues nothing is put on a plate for you so I think Guernsey should be happy that they have been put in div 1 we all new that they would be the team to beat with over 100 players to pick from I would love to have 20.

Edited by BIG ANT

Let's wait and see how guernsey travel away midweek and to some of the not so nice grounds in this league no disrespect ie hounslow farleigh etc their flowing football may not be as affective but we shall wait and see imagine at home they will be very very strong

Whilst I congratulate Guernsey upon their new venture and wish them all the best I feel that I need to express my views on some of the comments that have been posted in this forum.

Firstly, I have no personal interest in the Combined Counties League, I live up here in darkest Yorkshire.

Every non-league football club strives to better themselves up the non-league footballing ladder and for that they all deserve to be be respected. However what one does not want is for the 'stronger teams' rubbing it in towards the 'weaker ones'.

Guernsey (or rather those gloating posters here) I feel need to work on their people skills. You are not the first club to find yourselves in the position of being a very large fish in a small pool, AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester are two that spring to mind. They both are regarded highly because they went about their business and moved up the non-league ladder without fuss.

Take a leaf out of their book and I'm sure you will find that people will stop knocking you and start applauding you.

Karen excellent post,I am getting to like you.How did Guernsey get on yesterday by the way.The thing I have disliked so far,is the poster who has slated Whitelaw without even knowing who Whitelaw is.Most regular posters on here value the hard work and committment he puts into the smooth running of the C.C.L.and many know him personally.Anymore derogatory posts regarding the League Secretary will be deleted for sure.