Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

I spoke last night to a contact who is very well connected with Guernsey FA.

He believes they are very much a good Step 5 side and ARE made up of the Guernsey National side. He considers them to be technically very good, they lack a few things in the mainland style of player. I think he means the hard as nails centre half types. His prediction a top 3 side, with a good chance of a top of the table finish.

Who cares if its a 1pm Ko or a 3pm Ko? Quite a few games in Div 1 get moved to 2pm as of Oct time anyway. It would be for one home fixture anyway. Like Daniel said it might be in some clubs best interest to make as much money out of the fixture-why not? Then have a great weekend away all paid for and see what it's like to be a pro for 48 hours. Everyone should be grateful for them being in this league as a lot of players will play the biggest game of their careers whilst having a great weekend away whilst clubs will make a penny from the home games so Mr Chairman and the board will be happy too.

I read some of the threads on here and it's frightening the amount of [****!!****] that's posted. Just enjoy it!!

I know of 3 pubs that have closed down over here this week,as for getting 33 customers in each of them,those days went a long time ago.As for Poole and Weymouth,is that close to C.C.L. Grounds.Nice to see your all loaded in Guernsey,money no object attitude.Would be more impressed if they went to watch the lesser Football League Teams,but as they say Money goes to Money.

Don't assume we are all loaded in Guernsey its a huge misconception. In my case I am not 'loaded' at all. I am married, I have 2 young children and a mortgage. I am the only one earning a wage. Its pointless my wife working because it would all go to a child minder if she did. We are in debt.

So without going into too much detail life is an everyday struggle and my chances to watch Guernsey FC play away are nil.

I will watch every home game though.

Prices are £5 for the stand and £4 else where in Guernsey.

Edited by Guernsey Donkey

I know of 3 pubs that have closed down over here this week,as for getting 33 customers in each of them,those days went a long time ago.As for Poole and Weymouth,is that close to C.C.L. Grounds.Nice to see your all loaded in Guernsey,money no object attitude.Would be more impressed if they went to watch the lesser Football League Teams,but as they say Money goes to Money.

You are really hard work Smudge. Our Island will get behind our team in any way they can, we are not all loaded but one thing is for sure we are all much more positive than you. I think you personally need some kind of hormone treatment to stop your half empty mentality

I spoke last night to a contact who is very well connected with Guernsey FA.

He believes they are very much a good Step 5 side and ARE made up of the Guernsey National side. He considers them to be technically very good, they lack a few things in the mainland style of player. I think he means the hard as nails centre half types. His prediction a top 3 side, with a good chance of a top of the table finish.

I think your friend gave you an accurate report although I would say that when beating the Counties we did when playing in the National Systems Cup we faced some really good sides including Liverpool County Football League in the final who had their fair share of solid, strong centre halfs and centre forwards. The side is well balanced and now that Chris Tardif has returned to Guernsey from his professional career Guernsey are in the best shape to enter this league. Recent games have seen us create so many chances and if anything we have been lacking the ability to kill games off. Vance was a great player himself and will no doubt be working right now to sort this issue.

@Livewire

Great point - the sides that win leagues at Step 5 and above are not usually the best sides technically. They are usually the side who go to run down grounds on a Tuesday night in January when its freezing cold and grind out results against teams that fight tooth and nail, especially against supposed moneybags sides full of top players with a big fan base (we've all heard the phrase "its our cup final").

How do any of us know if Guernsey have got that in their locker? They've only played 5 or 6 games a season until now, usually in high profile games representing their island/nation. Let's see how they get on when the missus is giving them grief, the boss is breaking their balls about time off, the planes get delayed due to fog and they get stuck on the M25 90 mins before a game.

Its never easy for a team that has been hyped up by all and sundry before a ball has been kicked in non league football.

@Livewire

Great point - the sides that win leagues at Step 5 and above are not usually the best sides technically. They are usually the side who go to run down grounds on a Tuesday night in January when its freezing cold and grind out results against teams that fight tooth and nail, especially against supposed moneybags sides full of top players with a big fan base (we've all heard the phrase "its our cup final").

How do any of us know if Guernsey have got that in their locker? They've only played 5 or 6 games a season until now, usually in high profile games representing their island/nation. Let's see how they get on when the missus is giving them grief, the boss is breaking their balls about time off, the planes get delayed due to fog and they get stuck on the M25 90 mins before a game.

Its never easy for a team that has been hyped up by all and sundry before a ball has been kicked in non league football.

Great points here and the truth is that we dont know! I think the squad will be of a size to help these points but all of these points make it even more exciting. I do think that every game, especially in this first season, will be played as 'cup finals' - individuals who have been involved in non league football know that there will be some tough cold nights in January but I am not sure that all of the players do. I think we can grind out a result but we are also capable of playing some good stuff as I would expect all teams at level can

You are really hard work Smudge. Our Island will get behind our team in any way they can, we are not all loaded but one thing is for sure we are all much more positive than you. I think you personally need some kind of hormone treatment to stop your half empty mentality

G.G. I am a realist and really think that the Teams in C.C.L.have been mugged off by Guernsey F.C. Aided in some degree,by the C.C.L. Commitee.This to me was shown by you not inviting a C.C.L.Premier side over for a Friendly,so that the pitfalls of what you were offering could be checked out.No mention of 1pm Kick Offs in the first place,that would of frightened many teams off from voting you in the first place.By my reckoning if your much lauded estimates of your crowds 2000+ AT £5 seated £4 not (do not know of any other Club in the C.C.L. who operates this pricing strategy)YOU WILL NOT NEED SPORTINGBETS SPONSORSHIP,AS YOU ARE DESTINED TO MAKE A PROFIT with these figures.The irony of you having a pre season friendly with Horley falls on stoney ground with me,for their help in getting you elected to the C.C.L.was stated,lets hope that the 3 coach loads come over to this game,so as to put some money into Horleys pocket,now the irony what happens if Horley get relegated this season,they may never visit your wonderful Island,after your promotion this year.So if that happened would you invite them over for A pre-season next year,I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT.Thanks for the Medical Advive G.G.,ARE YOU A TRAINED DOCTOR,my mentality is fine,just know B.B.B's when I meet them,you have reached a low level by your remarks,because when people lose an argument that's what they resort too.Hope I look back in a years time and this post is Totally wrong,but in my opinion what was 3 promotion places has now become 2.BUT THE TURKEYS HAVE CERTAINLY VOTED FOR CHRISTMAS BY LETTING YOU IN,next year it will be the Premier sides turn to moan when your promoted again.

Smudge,you don't own the CCL.

Good luck to guernsey I say.I have taken an interest in them this season and your post just reinforces such an interest.It is clear that you are threatened by them when in fact,all they will offer your league is something positive.If I was one of the CCL Hierachy I would be outraged at your stance and horrified by that last post.I hope Guernsey get into the Ryman premier league,where they would no doubt make friends and be a credit to the league.

Perhaps if you are worried about 3 promotion places turning into 2 you should make sure more of the CCL players start taking their football a bit more seriously, as you and a couple of others have given one of the reasons against a 1pm kick off that players will struggle to get to games that early due to going on the lash the night before.No wonder the CCL Bigwigs want a more professional approach from a new member.

Smudge,you don't own the CCL.

Good luck to guernsey I say.I have taken an interest in them this season and your post just reinforces such an interest.It is clear that you are threatened by them when in fact,all they will offer your league is something positive.If I was one of the CCL Hierachy I would be outraged at your stance and horrified by that last post.I hope Guernsey get into the Ryman premier league,where they would no doubt make friends and be a credit to the league.

Me threatened by themcheesy%20(2).gif I am just a groundhopper with no allegiance to any Club in the C.C.L.The first poster to mention Guernsey F.C on here was me,so I am glad you have taken an interest in what's going on,at least the ratings rise.Will Hornchurch or is it A.F.C Hornchurch still be in the the RYMAN PREMIER in 2 years time,Guernsey could well be!!!!!!Are you flying over may I ask?

Perhaps if you are worried about 3 promotion places turning into 2 you should make sure more of the CCL players start taking their football a bit more seriously, as you and a couple of others have given one of the reasons against a 1pm kick off that players will struggle to get to games that early due to going on the lash the night before.No wonder the CCL Bigwigs want a more professional approach from a new member.

You miss the point completely,no mention of 1 pm K.O.'s were mentioned during the planning stage.Maybe the C.C.L. Clubs will find that the next move is that they will have to play midweek games in Guernsey.they would be over the moon with that.

If we are still in the ryman prem and guernsey do come up then yes I would travel to guernsey.just like the 100 or so AFC Hornchurch fans who travelled down to watch our team play Bideford in the trophy last November.Every now and then you get to play someone quirky and anyhow,being part of the British isles,why shouldn't they play in the English league system and if times have to change every now and then then so be it

G.G. I am a realist and really think that the Teams in C.C.L.have been mugged off by Guernsey F.C. Aided in some degree,by the C.C.L. Commitee.This to me was shown by you not inviting a C.C.L.Premier side over for a Friendly,so that the pitfalls of what you were offering could be checked out.No mention of 1pm Kick Offs in the first place,that would of frightened many teams off from voting you in the first place.By my reckoning if your much lauded estimates of your crowds 2000+ AT £5 seated £4 not (do not know of any other Club in the C.C.L. who operates this pricing strategy)YOU WILL NOT NEED SPORTINGBETS SPONSORSHIP,AS YOU ARE DESTINED TO MAKE A PROFIT with these figures.The irony of you having a pre season friendly with Horley falls on stoney ground with me,for their help in getting you elected to the C.C.L.was stated,lets hope that the 3 coach loads come over to this game,so as to put some money into Horleys pocket,now the irony what happens if Horley get relegated this season,they may never visit your wonderful Island,after your promotion this year.So if that happened would you invite them over for A pre-season next year,I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT.Thanks for the Medical Advive G.G.,ARE YOU A TRAINED DOCTOR,my mentality is fine,just know B.B.B's when I meet them,you have reached a low level by your remarks,because when people lose an argument that's what they resort too.Hope I look back in a years time and this post is Totally wrong,but in my opinion what was 3 promotion places has now become 2.BUT THE TURKEYS HAVE CERTAINLY VOTED FOR CHRISTMAS BY LETTING YOU IN,next year it will be the Premier sides turn to moan when your promoted again.

Smudge as a rule I enjoy your informed comments, but on this issue you have a very negative attitude. Something you often accuse Nice Guy of being!!!!! The decision to allow Guensey into the CCL was taken by all of the clubs.Does this mean that they shouldnt have let AFC in?!

Slightly disrespectal to state that "The Teams in C.C.L. have been mugged off by Guernsey F.C. Aided in some degree, but the C.C.L. Commitee."