Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

Couldn't agree more NLN. I don't know anyone who is actually INVOLVED with a CCL1 club who isn't loving the fact that Guernsey have joined the league and is looking forward to both their teams visit to Guernsey and the reverse fixture.

As Smudge says he is only a groundhopper and I imagine his views above aren't the same ones shared by the majority of teams and their associates!!

You dig NG and any others out for being disrespectful Smudge........I suggest you take a look in the mirror at times!

Jurgs, I think you and Smudge could be the new duncs and NG, if he were to bite at your posts. The only time you seem to post lately is when commenting on Smudge!!!!

Jurgs have you heard about the new love in the air ........ YV and Smudgeyboy LOL !!!

I've got a shiney new wagon of my own NG and looking for passengers :) it was however just an observation not a criticism.

Surprised your still on this forum seeing as the team you support got promoted ;)

iYV I'm sure you'll be the piped piper and get lots of followers to go on your shiney new wagon, surprisingly enough I won't be ....just an obseravtion YV ......LOL !

Ha ha good try , you can't get rid of me YV.........

Promoted ? ...You should learn to read previous/old threads/posts more carefully, then you wouldn't have to make your 2nd comment, but again I state that I do not have any specific club that I support, I am a CCL Premier ground hopper who seeks to look for good teams, players who play good football.........there you go YV happy now !!!

Edited by NICE GUY

Who cares if its a 1pm Ko or a 3pm Ko? Quite a few games in Div 1 get moved to 2pm as of Oct time anyway. It would be for one home fixture anyway. Like Daniel said it might be in some clubs best interest to make as much money out of the fixture-why not? Then have a great weekend away all paid for and see what it's like to be a pro for 48 hours. Everyone should be grateful for them being in this league as a lot of players will play the biggest game of their careers whilst having a great weekend away whilst clubs will make a penny from the home games so Mr Chairman and the board will be happy too.

I read some of the threads on here and it's frightening the amount of [****!!****] that's posted. Just enjoy it!!

I was reading this thread with interest and then the last line spoilt it,why do some people in this country think that thier opinion is the only one,its called matter of opinion and then we can have a debate,I am under no disillusions that people will find a lot of my opinions sh1te but they are my opinions,please don't try and tell us we are all wrong and you are right let us decide for ourselves.

Ducs, wasn't implying that opinions were ~@+! Just that some of the info is very mis-leading and far from the truth. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there will never be a wrong or right view. Only people involved with clubs know the truth about whats really going on really, just seems people love degrading other peoples clubs when there are a lot of people putting in a lot of hard work and hours behind the scenes. Like I said no problems with opinions mate-people have said I'm a good player in the past and others hand me a broom when I walk in a changing room :smilewinkgrin: different views are refreshing and can only help improve things. But saying a half-clad camel selling snow on the the A3 told me Cobham have a £50,000 a week budget so it must be true (you may laugh but some posts on here are not far off) so I hate them!!!!! is wrong.

So your position is sweeper yeah ................LOL !!!

Good post KS and Duncs doesnt like people disagreeing with his views and pulls out the old differeing views when it suits him and then slates people for disagreeing with his.

Wait for some post containing the word "Conference" :)

But Kroooonz you know Duncs is always right ....LOL ! So be careful you'll be the next one on his hit list !

Couldn't agree more NLN. I don't know anyone who is actually INVOLVED with a CCL1 club who isn't loving the fact that Guernsey have joined the league and is looking forward to both their teams visit to Guernsey and the reverse fixture.

As Smudge says he is only a groundhopper and I imagine his views above aren't the same ones shared by the majority of teams and their associates!!

You dig NG and any others out for being disrespectful Smudge........I suggest you take a look in the mirror at times!

Jurgs, I think you and Smudge could be the new duncs and NG, if he were to bite at your posts. The only time you seem to post lately is when commenting on Smudge!!!!

Jurgs have you heard about the new love in the air ........ YV and Smudgeyboy LOL !!!

I've got a shiney new wagon of my own NG and looking for passengers :) it was however just an observation not a criticism.

Surprised your still on this forum seeing as the team you support got promoted ;)

iYV I'm sure you'll be the piped piper and get lots of followers to go on your shiney new wagon, surprisingly enough I won't be ....just an obseravtion YV ......LOL !

Ha ha good try , you can't get rid of me YV.........

Promoted ? ...You should learn to read previous/old threads/posts more carefully, then you wouldn't have to make your 2nd comment, but again I state that I do not have any specific club that I support, I am a CCL Premier ground hopper who seeks to look for good teams, players who play good football.........there you go YV happy now !!!

Hehe, piped piper, sounds painful. :(

Good post KS and Duncs doesnt like people disagreeing with his views and pulls out the old differeing views when it suits him and then slates people for disagreeing with his.

Wait for some post containing the word "Conference" :)

It'll probably go PEAR shaped, then !!!!

coffee%20(2).gif

:bolt:

So I'm sure the topic is " so how good are Guernsey"... any chance of getting back on topic .. If you want a pros and cons of them joining the league then start a thread ???? . Until then any chance of answering the question ...

I hope we manage to be a mid table side in our first season whilst we try to find our feet in non league football and a run in the cup would be a real bonus. This time next year we will understand the level we are playing and will know if we are able to progress or maintain the standard. I expect Clubs in the CCL to be so much stronger, wiser, tactically aware and look forward to learning from them. The experience of playing in a stronger league against quality players will help the standard of our Island football and give our youngsters something to aspire too.

We will not win your league, you have too much experience, numbers in respect of players and choices of top coaches for us to even contemplate winning. We come into this to learn and better ourselves and make friends along the way. In all seriousness how can you expect a population of 62k to produce a side capable of winning any English league. We have our boundaries and cannot advertise in another town to entice players to play for us. Please let us all be realistic and honest here the funding we have secured will not make us instantly better as a side, it will just facilitate a better level of football so that we can better ourselves

how can you expect a population of 62k to produce a side capable of winning any English league

I see what you are saying about having a boundary to your recruitment Guru but certainly population matters little. Look at the population of some recently promoted clubs from CCL Premier:

Chipstead <6000

Merstham 7385

Chertsey 15967

and last year's CCL1 champs' Worcester Park's population is 10240.

So I'm sure the topic is " so how good are Guernsey"... any chance of getting back on topic .. If you want a pros and cons of them joining the league then start a thread ???? . Until then any chance of answering the question ...

I hope we manage to be a mid table side in our first season whilst we try to find our feet in non league football and a run in the cup would be a real bonus. This time next year we will understand the level we are playing and will know if we are able to progress or maintain the standard. I expect Clubs in the CCL to be so much stronger, wiser, tactically aware and look forward to learning from them. The experience of playing in a stronger league against quality players will help the standard of our Island football and give our youngsters something to aspire too.

We will not win your league, you have too much experience, numbers in respect of players and choices of top coaches for us to even contemplate winning. We come into this to learn and better ourselves and make friends along the way. In all seriousness how can you expect a population of 62k to produce a side capable of winning any English league. We have our boundaries and cannot advertise in another town to entice players to play for us. Please let us all be realistic and honest here the funding we have secured will not make us instantly better as a side, it will just facilitate a better level of football so that we can better ourselves

I can't believe what I am reading here ! have some faith !

I fully expect us to challenge for promotion. I'm not saying we will win the league but I would be hugely dissapointed if we didn't go up.

I've watched us play some very good sides and totally out played them.

But as someone said before we will have to play more games than we have ever played before so that will be new ( but our players are fit lads in their 20's mostly do you honestly believe they can't play 2 games a week ! ).

I think we will suprise most CCL teams at the level we are at right now. We won't be suprising some as in the prediction league many have tipped us to be top.

Anyways we must be great publicity for the league and win, lose or draw I will have fun watching all the CCL teams coming over to us to play.

Personally think you will one he'll of a side to compete at this leve and will be very strong in all cup competitions.. The league title I believe would be one he'll of an achievement as it's a long season with a far greater traveling issues for guernsey than any team going the other way. The ccl has some very well organised teams who can be very hard to break down and all would know doubt want Guernsey as a scalp on the wall. Good luck to you on what I hope to be a great ccl land mark up there with the likes of AFC joining the ccl

Will Guernsey cope with the caravan invasion?

Spor on jurgs, we at lammas are buzzing to play guernsey and to experience playing infront of. 1000+ fans!!

I would expect Guernsey to have a near impeccable home record. Some visiting players will freeze in front of large crowds, some teams will have key players missing as they can't travel for whatever reason, some players will still be suffering from the night before (naming no names ;)) and some will have their minds on the Saturday night jolly.

I think Knappers could have a good chance of a result though, with all the expectation of a large crowd and Guernsey not knowing what to expect.

I reckon their away record will be more patchy though. A Tuesday night trip to South Kilburn in January will not be for the faint hearted and I can see them being turned over particularly on cold Tuesday evenings on rough pitches. Having said that, their home record will see them finish in the top 3.

I would expect Guernsey to have a near impeccable home record. Some visiting players will freeze in front of large crowds, some teams will have key players missing as they can't travel for whatever reason, some players will still be suffering from the night before (naming no names ;)) and some will have their minds on the Saturday night jolly.

I think Knappers could have a good chance of a result though, with all the expectation of a large crowd and Guernsey not knowing what to expect.

I reckon their away record will be more patchy though. A Tuesday night trip to South Kilburn in January will not be for the faint hearted and I can see them being turned over particularly on cold Tuesday evenings on rough pitches. Having said that, their home record will see them finish in the top 3.

I never suffer TRS!!

how can you expect a population of 62k to produce a side capable of winning any English league

I see what you are saying about having a boundary to your recruitment Guru but certainly population matters little. Look at the population of some recently promoted clubs from CCL Premier:

Chipstead <6000

Merstham 7385

Chertsey 15967

and last year's CCL1 champs' Worcester Park's population is 10240.

The main difference is that in Guernsey we have a 7 club league. That means in reality we have 77 first team players to pick from but in reality that number is much lower to play at this level. I think that we have approximately 20 to 25 players, no more, that are good enough to play in the CCL. But the main difference between us and the populations mentioned above is that we do not have the ability to bring in anyone else. It is heartening to see teams from these places doing so well but we certainly have our restrictions

I can't believe what I am reading here ! have some faith !

I fully expect us to challenge for promotion. I'm not saying we will win the league but I would be hugely dissapointed if we didn't go up.

I've watched us play some very good sides and totally out played them.

But as someone said before we will have to play more games than we have ever played before so that will be new ( but our players are fit lads in their 20's mostly do you honestly believe they can't play 2 games a week ! ).

I think we will suprise most CCL teams at the level we are at right now. We won't be suprising some as in the prediction league many have tipped us to be top.

Anyways we must be great publicity for the league and win, lose or draw I will have fun watching all the CCL teams coming over to us to play.

GD I have the faith but wait and see who and where we are playing. Our players will not be used to playing on some of the surfaces against some of the big strong opposition. I believe that this league is not going to be very pretty and so our talented, nippy players (Rihoy, Dyer etc) will get kicked over the hedge once they are sussed out. We will need to be very strong around these teams, I am sure we can do it, but this is going to be a hard slog through the winter months believe me

I never suffer TRS!!

Bad sign that! ;)

Don't forget though, you don't usually have to be ready at the crack of dawn to haul yourself to Gatwick and then board a plane with a propeller for a choppy flight to the Islands. You might be suffering by the time you arrive smilewinkgrin.gif