Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

i think we need a new striker

mr c gull

No we don't you lunch, we are just laughing at you bunch of losers and enjoying ourselves whilst playing cr@p and still nicking points, ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

And another winner from Konk, happy days!!!

Knew you would be all over that being as you Yawnchurch lot are fluent in Chav Talk!!!

Feck me just seen this, some of you need to take a reality check !

You ain't Man united, Dan may be tired in the legs now days but you will do well to find better !

I think the majority would be in agreement with this - it's just some people seem to watch a different match to everyone else!

I think what I said has been blown out of proportion to an extent. I was merely saying that Danny’s shots to goals ratio against Stanstead was poor even though he got a hat trick. Regarding his fitness, I think it is clear to everyone watching that he does not possess the fitness levels of his team mates. If they were, then I think he could become more sharp in the final 30 minutes of the game and hopefully be able to bang in more goals. I would suggest the management get him doing some more running than ball work as his first touch doesn’t seem to be an issue.

On a more positive note, great to see us pushing Lowestoft for the top spot. If we keep this form up we will be title contenders!!!

Don’t get to many away games so wasn’t there Saturday. Did we play well? Thought it would have been more than 1-0 as they are down the bottom. Also good to get another clean sheet.

I agree about Danny's fitness, but at this stage of his career running him into the ground wouldn't be wise. We all know Danny's strengths and weaknesses, and I think that Haynab66 has hit the nail on the head. It's not Danny that's the issue, it's having the regular goalscorer alongside him, as Vaughan and Boylan were to Greggors. Fingers crossed that when Jason is back from his injury he can fill this void, but until he does we haven't effectively replaced what James Rowe brought to the team. Not an easy player to replace, but I really hope that Jason can put this latest injury setback behind him and be this player that we need.

As for Saturday, it was our worst performance of the season Mellow Yellow, and should have been a couple down at half time if it weren't for some great saves by Russell. The goal changed the match and we could have scored again, and I don't remember them hitting the target in the second half after their heads went down.

The performances have been poor this season (expect for Carshalton and Wingate), yet we have been piling on the points. Last night will hopefully be the wake up call, as let's face it, a result like that has been coming.

As you say, the need for a striker is now greater than perhaps any point since our return to the Ryman League. Leon seems to have hit a wall and doesn't seem to be his old self, and I think that we're asking far too much of Danny to play 90 minutes every single match - another reason why using Skidmore more often would have been a good thing in my opinion. Simply, I think we're running Danny into the ground, and subsequently he's not having the same impact that we know he can have.

It's no coincidence that Dobbo is in good form this season - we're asking far less of him in terms of game time, so when he has been playing he's looked good. Even though Dobbo's situation is enforced due to work, we should learn from the benefits of giving players in the latter stages of their career a rest now and again.

Elsewhere, I totally agree that Antonio Gonnella has to start on Saturday. His introduction livened things up no end last night, and he is a genuine winger which should count for something.....square pegs in square holes and all that.

Speaking of wingers, one player who really frustrated me last night was Alex Rhodes. He didn't look up for it at all, and the number of times he was casually walking back from an offside position and ruling himself out of an attack, as opposed to busting a gut to get back onside and being part of it, was too many to count.

Kingy & Gameo didn't effectively play the defensive midfield role between them last night either, hence the reason they were allowed to play so much football in our final 25 yards.

All in all, a very bad night at the office. We need a centre forward who will scare the life out of defenders, and whilst we await Jason's return from injury, we just don't have one. And even when Hallett does return, what's to say he'll carry on from where he left off in pre season?

Oh well, onwards...

I think everyone knows we need a new forward now, if we got someone good then Heale would have to step up because when the going gets tough Heale goes missing. I agree with the above, Rhodes looked like he didnt want to be there, and Leon Gordon was not far behind him

My main concern now is what has happened to Rob King? He is like a shadow of the player we saw last season!! What is the matter with him????

I thought we missed John Easterford last night for sure. Easterford has been my player of the season so far this year

I agree with the comments made so far (they are constructive) Last season we played Alex Rhodes up front when we had no striker available for all or part of a game, I wondered if it would have been worth playing Antonio up front in the role that Leon played last night. I know that he is a winger, but he is very skilled on the ball and I think he could do a good job, it must at least be worth a try as Leon was not very effective in the strikers role. The team looked lost at times and although Aveley were very good at passing the ball we seemed to have a unbalanced side with players roaming all over the pitch out of position which does not help other players. Lets hope we can get back to winning ways with a good performance on Saturday.

Come on you Yellows!!!.

I totally agree that we missed Easterford last night, as any team would miss one of their better players,,Rhodes for me has had a very slow start to the season which is a blow as he was a real star for us last year.

I wish people would stop getting on Danny Heals back as he is probably doing all he can do, he is not getting any younger or quicker.. The real blame for me lies with the manager who cannot let down, rotate or drop the players that he has personally brought in regardless of fitness, form or abillity. He has totally and utterly ignored the young players that have tried to break through in the last few years (eg. Ellis Skidmore) his use of subs is shocking, if players are tired or tactical changes are needed it makes no difference what the situation the same changes will be made and at the same time of any game, dont put your heads in the sand its been like this for ages. I know its early in the season but I really think the wisdom and performance of the management should be taken into consideration as well as the players on the pitch...

Got to say (and u can say p$ss off) important players missing is a big loss, just look at us this season with Cowley, Stokes and King injuries.

And this is not to rattle anybodys cage Ellis done really well when he came on last night especially considering he hasnt played at all.

I can't understand why we play players out of position and more often than not play players that haven't earned their place in the team!

Jay Curran is not a winger, so why was he on the bloody wing when we have Granola on the bench!?! He's more than proved himself and if he doesn't start the next few matches, he would do well to move to another club where he'll be rewarded for playing well. It says something when a player who only played for 30 minutes gets given man of the match!

Leon Gordon is not as effective as he used to be, and he often gets put into positions that are not his own. How many times have we seen him pushed out on the wing? Again, he's supposed to be a striker! He picked up a knock after 15 minutes, but still the management refused to make the change.

I have nothing against either player - it's not their fault that they get played out of position or asked to do something that's beyond them.

The 3rd goal came by shifting a centre back up-front (Sheehan). The sensible option would have been to push Dumas onto the wing, and put Rhodes up-front (a position he isn't unfamiliar with). Why on Earth a defender is brought on when we're losing a match is beyond me, especially Alalie who, in my opinion was one of few who put a proper shift in last night.

This result has been on the cards since the start of the season. We certainly need a new striker, but we only just let one go... He may not have been 'up to the standard' (though, how anyone can say that without him being given a chance really bugs me), but surely a striker on the bench who will score 10 goals a season is better than having no strikers on the bench scoring no goals a season? What happens when Heale picks up a knock and Jason is suspended... Who do we turn to then?

I fear it's too late to get a striker on board. We only had one striker trial in pre-season. None of our current players can be blamed for that, people would do well to remember that when they're shouting abuse at individual squad members. Some of the blame must lie with the management.

We're only a small way through the season, so let's not lose all faith, but things need to change pretty quickly or we'll find ourselves overtaken by our friends on the other side of the Rock!

Oh, and someone please tell Batchy there are other phrases than just "second ball" and "start well". He was still shouting that when we were 2 goals down! While we're at it, he may need a plan B 'cause plan A certainly hasn't worked effectively recently.

Rant over.

missing easterford wasnt the reason we lost last night and as for ellis i hope he gets loads of goals wherever he is hes a great lad, its difficult reading these posts when we are 4th from top but that has been pure luck we could be bottom, i have been watching canvey for 15 years and the football so far this season has been pathetic i think the players were happy to get another years contract and know the manager will pick them and are on easy street as someone said gonnela and alaile the only 2 putting it in and they are new and used now and again and will probably go if not used, i dont now how the heirachy works at the club i just love canvey pays me money and goes home but i think batch needs to go as manager i know hes canvey through and through but does anyone at the club tell him anything or is he too high up at the club i think hes taken it as far as he can and its time for someone younger and answerable to the club and will pick the best team and not his mates and will drop and pick players on performance, there just seems the kingy factor about him he will do what he likes, as for healsy i like his football brain but the legs are gone when he was in the ESL he was young and scored loads at that level but he cant make the runs at this level but his brain keeps him going, leon has been a different player since his injury, jason will get goals but is injury prone, rhodsey needs a kick up the [****!!****] and maybe king is tired being midfield and top striker the defence looks sound but if youre not scoring it will put pressure on them, maybe someone on here closer to the club will tell me if im right or wrong but as i see it the management and players seem stagnant and tell batchy the striker is the elephant in the room and it was there last season through the summer and now