Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Guernsey Fail to impress

vrfc196

jamie lawrence is at cobham now ex ashford town middlx manager an league player with numerous clubs maybe his arrival has boosted cobham maybe he brought a few of his academy in with him im led to believe he is only a player there though.......

Surely if gurnsey have 30+ players to pick from of the island, surely it shouldn't be difficult to pick TWO decent 11 sides!

Fair point, the problem is there are not too many players of the class of Tardif, Black, Rihoy etc, some good players but perhaps not at their level.

Surprised only 2 subs though...

Edited by HKP

Surely if gurnsey have 30+ players to pick from of the island, surely it shouldn't be difficult to pick TWO decent 11 sides!

We are not Manchester United you know ! Our first choice 11 is far better than our 2nd choice 11 so its not easy when we have so many missing.

We were missing Black, Rihoy, Dyer, Tardiff, Cochrane ( Our Captain ) and Ross Allen came on as a sub. These 6 would normally start if all were available/fit, so its not an excuse but when you are 5 of your star players down you aren't going to play as well.

Saying all that I would have thought we would have had enough to win but it sounded like a good end to end game and well done agin to Cobham.

Fair point, the problem is there are not too many players of the class of Tardif, Black, Rihoy etc, some good players but perhaps not at their level.

Is that right HKP only 2 subs ? thats shocking....really shocking if that is the case, Iam i right in thinking its not just 30 players GFC can pick from its any player who they deem good enough ? i take your point HKP that they may not be the qualty of Black,Tardif, Cochrane etc but how do Guernsey think they will progress if they only have a core of veru good players and the rest average .

I like Guernsey i really do enjoy watching them, and im sure most of the die hard Guernsey fans and many come on this forum would of liked to go for it in all Cups as well as the league. Promotion looks very likely so im surprised GFC didnt really go for it especialy the DIV 1 cup.

I am sure the cup is taken seriously by all the sides,although saying that,if I was running guernsey in the position they are in the league,I would probably think about getting out of it asap,simply because of the extra travelling/costs and player availabilty.Of course,if cost isn't a problem and they can blood new players then fine but to send their first team squad over for cup matches is probably something a team going up for promotion could probably do without.

My own team are going for promotion and although I went to our league cup game,I was hardly distraught when we went out and judging by our line up nor was the club

I am sure the cup is taken seriously by all the sides,although saying that,if I was running guernsey in the position they are in the league,I would probably think about getting out of it asap,simply because of the extra travelling/costs and player availabilty.Of course,if cost isn't a problem and they can blood new players then fine but to send their first team squad over for cup matches is probably something a team going up for promotion could probably do without.

My own team are going for promotion and although I went to our league cup game,I was hardly distraught when we went out and judging by our line up nor was the club

I have no doubt the club wanted to win the cup and the league but priority is promotion, cups are a bonus.

jamie lawrence is at cobham now ex ashford town middlx manager an league player with numerous clubs maybe his arrival has boosted cobham maybe he brought a few of his academy in with him im led to believe he is only a player there though.......

He was definatley a major influence when they beat us 2-1 a few weeks back! Despite being 40 he was probably the fittest on the pitch and a lot of their play went through him.

Their manager is very good friends with him and also knows plenty of players who have played a higher level and has bought some of these in and it's starting to show with their results which have picked up. Apparently they train at Fulham FC's facility under the dome that is there which can only help knowing what it was like to train out the back at Cobham!!

Have heard there is money down there this season too, so it's hardly surprising to see people drop down!

Is that right HKP only 2 subs ? thats shocking....really shocking if that is the case, Iam i right in thinking its not just 30 players GFC can pick from its any player who they deem good enough ? i take your point HKP that they may not be the qualty of Black,Tardif, Cochrane etc but how do Guernsey think they will progress if they only have a core of veru good players and the rest average .

I like Guernsey i really do enjoy watching them, and im sure most of the die hard Guernsey fans and many come on this forum would of liked to go for it in all Cups as well as the league. Promotion looks very likely so im surprised GFC didnt really go for it especialy the DIV 1 cup.

I had noticed that in a couple of games they have only had three subs, perhaps someone pulled out late?

As for the number of players, anyone playing in Guernsey can play for GFC once signed up, the crunch is are they prepared to play the odd game, often the away ones?

Edited by HKP

He was definatley a major influence when they beat us 2-1 a few weeks back! Despite being 40 he was probably the fittest on the pitch and a lot of their play went through him.

Their manager is very good friends with him and also knows plenty of players who have played a higher level and has bought some of these in and it's starting to show with their results which have picked up. Apparently they train at Fulham FC's facility under the dome that is there which can only help knowing what it was like to train out the back at Cobham!!

Have heard there is money down there this season too, so it's hardly surprising to see people drop down!

talking to redders when lammas played them away a few weeks ago lawrence tore willmore at cb apart cobham trounced em 4 nil i think me minds gone, thing is im sure isiah rankine ex league goes where lawrence goes!?

Yer like newby said when we played them a couple of weeks ago, everything went thru him! Luckily saturdau we had our skipper back and he totally marked him out the game and it disrupted everything for them. I also heard isah rankie is going there.

Guernsey do have a problem with players unavailability for away fixtures. Tardif our keeper never travels midweek...

Quite a topic of coversation at full time between DFC and Sandhurst Officials in the bar,

General concensus of opinion was that their mid-week away games could be their downfall.

Incientally, it was nice to meet and chat with Sandhurst guys again.

Edited by Big J R

There was a lot of talk about this early season, Guernsey struggling with midweek games and that seems to be the case on this occation. Only 2 subs with the biggest squad of anyone.

If they do get promoted which i doubt they won't they will struggle next year im sure.

Although as good as guernsey are they won't beat egham, Hanworth, guildford with the team they have at the moment. If they want to win the prem they have to get stronger.

I disagree I think will will beat Egham.

Hopefully Black, Rihoy and Dyer will be fit they are 3 of our best players and we are far more dangerous with these 3 players playing.

We are winning without them and that shows you our strength in depth.

Here we go again, you're not, 'cos you lost last night against Cobham with so called STAR players missing ! make your mind up, you cannot have the best of both you either can win or lose without them..........double edged knife if you ask me!!!

Although as good as guernsey are they won't beat egham, Hanworth, guildford with the team they have at the moment. If they want to win the prem they have to get stronger.

I disagree I think will will beat Egham.

Hopefully Black, Rihoy and Dyer will be fit they are 3 of our best players and we are far more dangerous with these 3 players playing.

We are winning without them and that shows you our strength in depth.

Here we go again, you're not, 'cos you lost last night against Cobham with so called STAR players missing ! make your mind up, you cannot have the best of both you either can win or lose without them..........double edged knife if you ask me!!!

I didn't understand any of that ! lol

We are not Manchester United you know ! Our first choice 11 is far better than our 2nd choice 11 so its not easy when we have so many missing.

We were missing Black, Rihoy, Dyer, Tardiff, Cochrane ( Our Captain ) and Ross Allen came on as a sub. These 6 would normally start if all were available/fit, so its not an excuse but when you are 5 of your star players down you aren't going to play as well.

>>>> Hold on GD you've been blabbering off giving it large that you have been winning with players missing, good depth in squad etc,, You lost last night, so why you giving the above excuse 'cos that's what it is, irrespective of you're countering saying it's not !

Saying all that I would have thought we would have had enough to win but it sounded like a good end to end game and well done agin to Cobham.

Edited by NICE GUY

>>>> Hold on GD you've been blabbering off giving it large that you have been winning with players missing, good depth in squad etc,, You lost last night, so why you giving the above excuse 'cos that's what it is, irrespective of you're countering saying it's not !

We have got a good in depth squad but when you are without the best of your squad its going to be tougher to win.

I'm not making excuses. I've already congratulated Cobham on the win in a couple of other threads. Its in the past now, I'm looking forward to Warlingham away now. I'm hoping we can bounce back with a win.

We have got a good in depth squad but when you are without the best of your squad its going to be tougher to win.

I'm not making excuses. I've already congratulated Cobham on the win in a couple of other threads. Its in the past now, I'm looking forward to Warlingham away now. I'm hoping we can bounce back with a win.

..........with players missing !

GD,

i agree with Nice guy on this one fella, im sure your a nice chap but you can't have it both ways, i know you can't see it but you are contradicting yourself.

On another note Guernsey have from what i ve seen of them at least 6 very good players but to progress out of the prem you will need 11 very good players with 5 very good players as back up(subs)

There is no question that when the time comes Guernsey either stay where they are what ever level they are at or sign UK players to progress into higher league's.

If Guersey supporters carry on the way they are they won't be content with a certain level, if possible they would want to go all the way ala AFC Wimbledon.