Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Basildon United Players Required

theboss

Basildon United welcome players of a Ryman/ Essex Senior / or good quality Olympian league standard to come and trial with the club.

Please send football cv to manager chris wood basildonunited@virginmedia.com

Looking for strong competitive players that can cope with the demands of Senior league football.

This is an ideal chance for ex senior league players. Maybe you have been frozen out of your senior side or coming back from injury to build their game again at an up and coming developing club.

www.basildonunited.co.uk

Maybe some current players who are readers of this forum that know players unattached currently looking for a chance can pass this message on.

Many thanks Woodsy

BUFC

I am quite sure that Olympian level players will not want to go and play at Basildon United if I am honest.

Typical Essex senior comment looking for strong/competitive that can cope with the demands of senior football. What about going a different route and trying to pick up some skillful players who can actually play and see if you can actually outplay sides and not try and bully teams.

Senior league is poor compared to Olympian. Good luck though.

I totally agree with voice of reason the senior league seems to be about big strong players who can play a bit of football,

where as in the Olympian Premier teams get the ball down and play football.There are many players in the olympian

who could piss that league and even ryman div 1.

Don't be naive,you need to be physical at senior level,the players you come up against ensure that.There's not much place for players who are easy on the eye.Sure,they exist but I have seen good skilful fast players in the Olympian league and 95% wouldn't last 5 minutes at a higher level,even ryman one north.Players usually play at the level they play at for a reason and it's usually because that's how good they are.

Don't get me wrong,the Olympian league probably does have a better standard of football on the eye but there's not much place for free flowing football anywhere beneath ryman prem,possibly even conference south.We simply don't have the pitches for a start and the majority of teams will outmuscle your footballing types

I have watched a number of Olympian games this year and I think the standard is being lowered each year. There are a few good sides who would (in my opinion ) be able to compete at Senior level but overall I think the standard is not as good as it was 5 years ago. The Senior League games I have watched this season have not been as bad as some I watched last season. They are not enjoyable to watch thou with very little football played - 'get it up front as quick as you can' seems to be the motto- to me that aint football!. The Ryman games I have watched have also been poor in quality. There seems to be a lot of talkers in all three leagues but when it comes to the crux they are not as good as they think they are. Out of all three I think the Olympian definitely play the more fluid, enjoyable to watch football but would struggle at the top end of Senior or Ryman because they will be bashed about...

And there is the soul reason we win nothing at a world level and Spain are the world champions. You have to be brave and try and play real passing skillful football. I have seen a few teams in my time try and do this in Ryman and believe it or not they have won the league. You keep can the ball at any level and you will be successful. The pitches in the Ryman and Conference South are more than condusive to play good football on.

Olympian being weaker than 5 years ago is absolutely ridiculous comment. Maybe the overall standard in all divisions but having seen some of the teams and players that play in this league now at the top end there are certainly more than 15 who could easily play in Ryman football and I believe there are a few who could play even higher than that.

I have seen olympian players who you think could make the step up,but when they train with bigger clubs you suddenly notice that they aren't quite as good as they first look.The gulf between ryman prem and olympian or esl is absolutely massive.

As for the pitches,you see some good footy being played but it tends to stop about this time of year once the pitches become too heavy,this year we don't have that problem so far so we may get some more decent footy but once the pitches do go then the managers/players realise the most effective way is the direct way.Only those with decent pitches can carry on playing at the same level

I have to say I think the overall standard of football from Conference South/North down to the Essex Senior League has deteriorated. I would put it down to the financial crisis and the lack of money available to clubs. Conference north/south teams are signing ryman 1 players, no doubt because they are "cheaper". With the amount of travelling involved at that level it is difficult to get players to do that without a substantial amount of money. As an example Louis Green, the Great Wakering goalkeeper, was released last week from the Ryman 1 club only to be snapped up by Bishops Stortford of the Conf North!

Having seen some Ryman 1 games this season I can safely say that it does not match up to the standard of the ESL 5 years ago. Those were the days when you had Hornchurch, Brentwood, Concord, Burnham et al having decent playing budgets to attract players from a higher level and the same went for Ryman 1 teams who were attracting players to drop down a level. As an example Danny Heale, Nicky Cowley, Harry Elmes and many more are playing Ryman Prem football when a few years ago they were in the ESL and it is not as if they were young boys who have worked their way up. There was a lot more quality in the ESL back then.

The lack of finance available to clubs has meant previously lower league players are getting the opportunity higher up the pyramid and it has had a concequence the lower you go.

In the ESL there is very little money available which means there is very little benefit to playing ESL as opposed to Olympian Prem. The players that are playing in the ESL are doing it through their desire to play at that level barring maybe Witham/Enfield who have a budget.

Players that are employed full time are being asked to train twice a week, travel all across Essex and north london for midweek matches, take time off or leave work early for no money. The alternative is stepping down a level, having to train once a week and play on a saturday (normally with a group of mates).

There are at least half a dozen teams in the Olympian Prem that would be top half in the ESL in my opinion.

I dont see how we can say there are players playing in the Olympian who should be playing Ryman Prem. Thats a little bit ambitous. Having said there there will be the odd occasion when a stand out performer gets a chance higher up. Coutney White was signed by Billericay in the summer following his goal scoring in Olympian Division 3 for Castle Utd. 2 of my players, Stuart Fergus and Chris Lewis, have been signed by Heybridge Swifts in Ryman 1 and I have had other enquiries for players.

As I said earlier, it is all about desire and what the player in question wants.

Edited by Southminster FC

The conference south/north are funny leagues.

I still believe that the leagues themselves are still trying to find their actual level,when they were formed there were clubs who went into the leagues who were very average and not all of those clubs have been weeded out as of yet.The overall standard of the south is decent but there are some real crap sides in there and if you take the ryman prem,there are some very good sides that miss out on promotion each year due to only 2 going up and one of those is the lottery of play offs.We played Thurrock the other night,we won on penalties but even with our best 6 players rested we were by far the better side and they had a full team out.

The ryman prem has had to contend with sides like aldershot,Wimbledon,dartford,Sutton,Canvey,Chelmsford & dover going up from it so it's hard to get out of,this year you have ricay,Lowestoft & Hornchurch at the top with teams like bury,Lewes & Canvey snapping at their heals,pre season favourites Carshalton are nowhere to be seen at the moment but the flip side is at the bottom of the ryman prem there is some real dross like tooting & Horsham (I would say Hastings but we are away at them tomorrow).Some of the players I have seen at the lower clubs are definatly ryman one north standard but the majority at the top of the league could easily do a job at Connie south.

I think that makes sense what you say about when the CS was originally formed and the dross that still clutter up the bottom of the table. There always seems to be a reprieve for clubs each season as well making the "weeding" process that bit longer. Aveley were saved in the summer and Thurrock also. Surely the better solution is rewarding a team for success in a lower division than a team who are clearly not up to that level!

My view is that the standard of player has been diluted by the size of the Non- League Pyramid. This can be shown by the extraordinary decision to reprieve Thurrock and Southport and send Bishop Stortford to the Conference North . The most logical decision (having decided Southport had a case) would have been to leave BS in the South instead of Thurrock who were relegated on their merit and allowed a progressive side in the North get promotion to the Conference North. This decision has meant Thurrock are weaker having expected to be in the Ryman and Stortford cannot attract the players to travel miles up North on a tuesday night etc. These sides are just not good enough as they dont have the players. If clubs want to improve the standards they will need to restructure the pyramid by making it all more local with play offs at the end.. It is not as easy ,as it was, for a guy to leave work during the afternoon to play football - if they have a job they want to keep it and therefore play at a lesser level with less travelling. That leaves a lot of players (not all)'who can make it' playing above the real level of their capability.Personally , I think the Senior and Olympian Leagues should be talking about a joint restructure and becoming one unit. They can then also sort the step issues out that are bubbling below the surface at the moment. I hear Jamie Richards has gone back to the Ryman League. Having played in the Olympian I heard Lee Hodges mention he is joining Aveley!.He was in Thurrocks 'relegated' side last season - !!!!!! Good on Billericay for giving Courtney a chance nice lad good player..

Lee hodges is manager at Aveley,I don't think he is going to play.

Thurrock on paper have some good players,they signed a few over the summer but at least 3 fell out with the manager,one returning to us saying we were a better team and run club,how true this is I don't know.

Jamie Richards is a decent player but very lazy IMO,when he was at Hornchurch he could look brilliant one minute and useless the next.Even at that level you can't afford players like that which is probably why he went down to the Olympian.

As for Bishops stortford/Thurrock example,I agree,that would of been the best thing to do but unfortunately our game is run by complete wallys